GDT: Oilers vs Flame SS. sept 21, 2014

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
You guys lucked out with Gazdic being injured. He would fight anyone you got and win the majority of them.

Flames are sitting three players tonight that would all love a crack at Gadzic. Hunter Smith, Ferland, and Gillies. I hate the visor Gadzic was wearing, hope its off now. He is a good scrapper, I wont deny that. We are sending goons to Edmonton, we could send more lol!

Forgive me, I don't expect my team to do very well this year. I do expect the oilers to pull away from the flames a lot this year and challenge for the playoffs. Yet the flames will play a brand of hockey that will still entertain in a very rough way. Till our prospects are ready. Give us two years, and hopefully at that time when the two teams meet in the playoffs we are all talking about this being the real Stanley cup final. Even though we still have to beat a garbage team from the east lol!

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Flames are sitting three players tonight that would all love a crack at Gadzic. Hunter Smith, Ferland, and Gillies. I hate the visor Gadzic was wearing, hope its off now. He is a good scrapper, I wont deny that. We are sending goons to Edmonton, we could send more lol!

Forgive me, I don't expect my team to do very well this year. I do expect the oilers to pull away from the flames a lot this year and challenge for the playoffs. Yet the flames will play a brand of hockey that will still entertain in a very rough way. Till our prospects are ready. Give us two years, and hopefully at that time when the two teams meet in the playoffs we are all talking about this being the real Stanley cup final. Even though we still have to beat a garbage team from the east lol!

You realize if any of those kids make the NHL they will need to wear a visor too, right?

Visors were grandfathered into the NHL.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Really hoping these games will be archived so I can watch both games attentively

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
He's not allowed to take it off. Visors are mandatory for all players who entered the league starting last season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672983

Are you serious? He has to wear it always from now on? Don Cherry was yapping about this a year ago. Is it a rule for all players entering the league?

Not knocking Gadzic, just saying it is an advantage obviously. Can he ever ditch that visor? Just doesn't seem right. Or fair, and I am not saying Gadzic was breaking any rules. My understanding was he had to wear the visor.

Just looking for clarification!

McDeathbyCheerios*

Are you serious? He has to wear it always from now on? Don Cherry was yapping about this a year ago. Is it a rule for all players entering the league?

Not knocking Gadzic, just saying it is an advantage obviously. Can he ever ditch that visor? Just doesn't seem right. Or fair, and I am not saying Gadzic was breaking any rules. My understanding was he had to wear the visor.

If other fighters think it's unfair, they should just wear a visor itself.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

There were a couple times last year when he took his helmet off before the fight and the linesmen jumped in to break it up since they are supposed to once a helmet comes off.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
If other fighters think it's unfair, they should just wear a visor itself.

Hey I get that too! I am old school though, guys are scrapping and they take their helmuts off and then drop the gloves. I mean seriously, I got great balance on skates, surround me with Kevlar pads and lexan face shields I would fight McGrattan too. I wouldn't lol, but I can scrap, and this added protection would make me a way better fighter. Doesn't hurt too much taking a shot off the visor, hurts a lot more off the temple.

Just asking is the guy forced to wear this equipment?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hey I get that too! I am old school though, guys are scrapping and they take their helmuts off and then drop the gloves. I mean seriously, I got great balance on skates, surround me with Kevlar pads and lexan face shields I would fight McGrattan too. I wouldn't lol, but I can scrap, and this added protection would make me a way better fighter. Doesn't hurt too much taking a shot off the visor, hurts a lot more off the temple.

He is not allowed on the ice without a visor.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

He is 100% being forced to wear the visor, every single rookie in the league is mandated to wear one now, and like Del said, there were a couple times Gaz took his helmet off and the refs jumped in and stopped the fight immediately. I can't blame Gaz one bit, this league is getting lamer, and lamer every year.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
You can tell hockey season is upon us when we start discussing the real issues, like mandatory visors...

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

29295727.jpg

Thats just Cherry being uninformed.

All new players starting last year absolutely;y have to wear visors. No exceptions. Thats the rules.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I think Yak needs to just step up.

I dunno, we are at a turning point, we aren't developing anymore, we want to win. If Yak can't handle being put in a sheltered third line role he should go out and dominate to the point where we want in on a second or first line.

He has to beat Eberle and Perron. ****** position for him, but it happens.

Or we can just play him with Perron. Skilled players tend to play better with skilled players, and pairing Yakupov with an experienced winger in the prime of his career can only do him good. Also, Yakupov absolutely produced like a top 6 player in 2012-2013 when he was played alongside other top 6 players, Sam Gagner might be a terrible player, but at least he had the hockey IQ and offensive instinct to complement Yakupov (and happened to have a career year to boot). When you stick him with guys like Boyd Gordon, should it actually surprise anyone that Yakupov is going to struggle?

Eakins put Yakupov in a position to fail, and after his confidence was shattered and in a rut, Eakins put him in more situations to fail. Just an awful awful coach. I wouldn't be surprised if Teddy Purcell is the most skilled player Yakupov plays with for the full duration of training camp+opening night.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I'm a bit disappointed that Acton is starting higher up the line up than Yak 2. Especially coming off the decent rookie camp. Actually everyone on that 3rd line is less deserving than Vlad and Yak2. Whatever, he'll have his time I suppose.

Smart Dunsparce*

I'm going to the game, with the flamer girlfriend. Been feinding for Oilers hockey since April haha.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
29295727.jpg

Thats just Cherry being uninformed.

All new players starting last year absolutely;y have to wear visors. No exceptions. Thats the rules.

Thank you, just wanted clarification.

Don't want to call the guy cheap or dirty without the facts. Imagine that, a flames fan wanting clarification lol! I guess if we want a scrap with gadzic we need to dawn our visors etc. Not knocking the player, just the rules.

Thank you!

Smart Dunsparce*

I'm a bit disappointed that Acton is starting higher up the line up than Yak 2. Especially coming off the decent rookie camp. Actually everyone on that 3rd line is less deserving than Vlad and Yak2. Whatever, he'll have his time I suppose.

I think within the next couple of games they will get their shot. I hope the same for Yak too.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Look at Will's last name. Now look at the last name of one of the assistant coaches. Doesn't surprise me one bit considering the way this franchise operates. Acton's name has already been written onto the opening day lineup card in permanent ink.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I really doubt it, Eberle has been the most fit player in camp until this year? really highly doubt it.

Edit:

If Eberle was that 1% you think Eakins starts him on the 1st line with team Gretzky?

Huh, that's a surprise if he was ever the most fit oiler. I remember a discussion a couple years ago about him coming into camp out of shape before the lockout. Anyways, I hope it's not the same case because this is a big year for him.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Huh, that's a surprise if he was ever the most fit oiler. I remember a discussion a couple years ago about him coming into camp out of shape before the lockout. Anyways, I hope not it's not the same case because this is a big year for him.

I doubt he tested as the most fit Oiler. What Eberle did say is he scored better in his fitness tests this year over last year at camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad