GDT: Oilers vs Flame SS. sept 21, 2014

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Wow, I feel like team Gretzky and team Kurri live on. That first team is so much better than team two. Although I'm interested in seeing Nikitin-Fayne for the first time.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The message for Yak since Eakins has been here. Not too surprisingly continuing.

"Nope Yak no RNH for you, No Draisaitl for you, not even any Yakimov for you.

Heres Arcobello, he's a nice kid, go play and have fun before you get benched."

Yak draws shortstraw center. Who saw this coming?

At this point in his 3rd season its Yaks job to make Arco look good, or anyone he plays with. Thats what good players do, hell thats what 1st overall picks do, they make players around them better.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
The message for Yak since Eakins has been here. Not too surprisingly continuing.

Look at the 5 lines Yakupov played on in the pre-season last year.

Omark-Arcobello-Yakupov
Hamilton-Arcobello-Yakupov
Hamilton-Khaira-Yakupov
Omark-Gordon-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-Yakupov

Hopefully he gets at least one game with two decent line mates this year.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
At this point in his 3rd season its Yaks job to make Arco look good, or anyone he plays with. Thats what good players do, hell thats what 1st overall picks do, they make players around them better.

It depends on the style of player. Pure goal scorers like Yak need at least one strong passer on their line or they can't take over. Yak has been mismanaged in the last year by Eakins, Arco should be playing with Hall and Ebs and RNH should be playing with Yak and Purcell or Perron.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It depends on the style of player. Pure goal scorers like Yak need at least one strong passer on their line or they can't take over. Yak has been mismanaged in the last year by Eakins, Arco should be playing with Hall and Ebs and RNH should be playing with Yak and Purcell or Perron.

Nope I disagree its show me time, hes a first overall pick, he is the best in the world at his age.

The only person that mismanaged Yak last year was Yak himself.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers at home so handily beat the flames. I see a severe lack of talent in the line up, this theme reoccurs in their other line up too.

The flames have some goons dressed like Wolf. And I'm betting once he gets walked around by Hall a couple times, hes sent back to whatever league he came from. I predict a 4-1 win. The top 2 lines should embarrass the flames on a shift by shift basis

As for the @calgary game. Brodie and Gio is a very solid top pairing, but their D depth is worse than the Oilers, they also have horrible D prospects. I expect a 2-1 loss here due to Gio and Brodie.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

I don't really care if you have a bone to pick with Eakins, my point still stands: It's a split squad preseason game.

I'd be more concerned if Yakupov is playing 3rd, 4th line minutes in the regular season with a pair of plugs.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Why do you keep propagating this nonsense Replacement? This whole attitude that Eakins has it in for Yakupov in the first exhibition game where the team has something like 50+ players to decide on their fates and futures.

Maybe the coaches want to see where other players other than Yakupov are at the moment. Yakupov isn't the entire team. We didn't build this team or city on 1 player.

:D

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Hmm, I notice Petry isn't playing. Anyone hear about his condition following Lander hitting him? Is this precautionary hopefully? Or even just because he didn't draw in, like Eberle?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Why do you keep propagating this nonsense Replacement? This whole attitude that Eakins has it in for Yakupov in the first exhibition game where the team has something like 50+ players to decide on their fates and futures.

Maybe the coaches want to see where other players other than Yakupov are at the moment. Yakupov isn't the entire team. We didn't build this team or city on 1 player.

:D

Exactly this.

HFOil seems to think that Yakupov is the entire team. He's not. There are 30 some other forwards at camp that the team needs to evaluate. The team isn't centered around him. Which is exactly what some here seem to want to believe.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Precisely.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
That's going to be the most effective deterrent found yet to limit my posting..:laugh:

There is hope, after all.

Grass is green

Sun is shining

Oh positivity I'll behave, just make that song stop, make it stop, oh for the love of...

I was going to post the Smytty one, but I thought I'd give you a break.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If we really wasted a 1st overall pick on a complimentary player, we really really messed up the pick. Take a look at 1st over all picks and tell me how many of those players played a complimentary role and if they did, did the team screw it up by drafting that player instead of someone else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_NHL_draft_picks

Not sure what you're saying. Theres quite a few top picks that haven't panned out or required some degree of support beyond playing them with an AHLer and an insignificant player that shouldn't even be on a topsix.

Lets reverse the question. How many clubs have managed to use so many top draftpicks to such poor effect and continue to do so?

ps I managed to listen to the Eliot Friedman audio from ched. Good listen. Definitely agree with a lot of what he stated. Thanks for that

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not sure what you're saying. Theres quite a few top picks that haven't panned out or required some degree of support beyond playing them with an AHLer and an insignificant player that shouldn't even be on a topsix.

Lets reverse the question. How many clubs have managed to use so many top draftpicks to such poor effect and continue to do so?

ps I managed to listen to the Eliot Friedman audio from ched. Good listen. Definitely agree with a lot of what he stated. Thanks for that

Since 2001 only one player is a complimentary player drafted at 1st overall. Johnson, do you think St louis wishes they would of drafted Toews instead?

Yak is drafted to be a difference maker. He should be making his teamates better right now. His teamates shouldnt have to make him better.

Like I said its show me time for Yak, time for him to be a difference maker on whatever line, against what ever competition, whatever mintues. Hes the freaking best in the world at his age, time to show the world

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Going to the game in Calgary. Pretty bummed about being shafted on the roster. Lame.

For the record, this has happened with every other split squad and will always happen with every split squad. The home crowd, of course, gets the more exciting roster.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
For the record, this has happened with every other split squad and will always happen with every split squad. The home crowd, of course, gets the more exciting roster.

No way. They should have known that I was going to the Calgary game, and appeased just me.

Didn't you know this? :naughty:

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'll reiterate what I have said about Yak. Yak does need better players to play with, true. However putting him with Drai is very risky, and splitting up our top line to the and get Yak going and happy gives us no lines that can handle the other nhl top lines. We end up with 2 second lines and a third line instead of a first second and third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad