GDT: Oilers vs Flame SS. sept 21, 2014

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Here is the thing.

I thought Arco looked like crap. He got beat up in the face off circle and at times seemed very intimidated by physical contact. Wasn't great positionally and didn't show much offensively either.

But.

He was also dealing with a super spazzy and out of position Yak all night. I don't disagree offensively speaking Yak was the best player, but his positioning in general last night was TERRIBLE. I don't think even the Nuge could have salvaged much with how Purcell and Yak played last night.

I will also point out that Arco's play was pretty much a complete 180 from how he played like last year. No matter how people will try to spin it, last years Arco was strong in all the ways I mentioned he was weak in this one preseason game to date.

The anti Arco movement is embellishing exactly how terrible Arco was last night as well. Even taking it so far as to say that is how he played last year as well. I was disappointed cause I was expecting what I seen last year, and he didn't deliver but he also wasn't as bad as some people are making him out to be.

Maybe Arco success is based off of playing with better line mates, maybe Arco's success last year was a fluke... Maybe he will have to start in the AHL to find his game...

But if history has taught us anything it's that preseason means absolutely nothing.

So true.

Arcobello was over 50% on faceoffs last season. But one preseason game of bad faceoff performance must mean he sucks right?

I have no idea if he is going to work out, but the narrative being spewed that he was a defensively weak player who only got any points due to gravy linemates is so totally out of line with reality. This is a guy who consistently applauded for his play last season, in multiple areas. As in, "best player on the ice" on multiple occasions. The idea that he was a toe-along last year is so asinine that I have to just laugh it off as people who have an agenda to push.

I'm rooting for the guy, as I like the smaller player overcomes odds type story, and would like the Oilers to find success. I'm very aware that he may not do what he did last year. I guess we'll see.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So true.

Arcobello was over 50% on faceoffs last season. But one preseason game of bad faceoff performance must mean he sucks right?

I have no idea if he is going to work out, but the narrative being spewed that he was a defensively weak player who only got any points due to gravy linemates is so totally out of line with reality. This is a guy who consistently applauded for his play last season, in multiple areas. As in, "best player on the ice" on multiple occasions. The idea that he was a toe-along last year is so asinine that I have to just laugh it off as people who have an agenda to push.

I'm rooting for the guy, as I like the smaller player overcomes odds type story, and would like the Oilers to find success. I'm very aware that he may not do what he did last year. I guess we'll see.
He is good enough to keep up with great and elite players but he himself is not one. He isn't like Taylor Hall and single handedly carry a line, but he can definitely be a good part of the line.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He is good enough to keep up with great and elite players but he himself is not one. He isn't like Taylor Hall and single handedly carry a line, but he can definitely be a good part of the line.

For sure. I'm not sure I've heard anyone claim otherwise.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Having Drai as our 2c isn't ideal but it is what he is right now. Other then Nuge it's clear is day he is our second best center. If Pouliot keeps up what he has shown and Perron stays himself Draisaitl will have an alright time even with some rookie struggles.

Not ideal but Drai will have an easier time then Gagner or Nuge had.

Yep, we did not have a Perron or Pouliot or Current Hall for any of those guys. Hemsky was too free for, whereas at least the guys who start with P played in good systems with good positioning.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
I was at the game in Calgary last night, so can offer my 2 cents.

Yak was flying but still needs to get his game worked out. Passed when he should have shot and shot when he should have passed. Slammed his stick in frustration once - he still has the passion, but may be feeling the pressure already. His collision with Setoguchi late in the game was one of the few highlights of a pretty dull game.

None of the other forwards did very much. Arco and Purcell didn't have great games. Hendricks and Lander were hustling.

Fayne and Nikitin were solid. IMO the next best D-man was Oesterle. Don't know much about him. Not the biggest guy around, but moves the puck well.

Fasth also played well.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
If we were talking about the 4th line, then yeah, sure.

This is our second line though and in this conference and even more so, our division, it's something to worry about.

I just think unless we manage to wrangle someone like Nielsen or Berglund as our 2C, we're not going to be close to the playoffs, but will improve.

If Dr. Drai isn't ready, I'd rather develop him properly over the long haul, even if that means using Arcobello this year.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
I think we can expect Gagner to be brought up after every game this year.

The way I see it heading into this season, the certainty of RNH and Gagner not being good enough down the middle in the top 6 based on the past was a failure for an option. Just like the uncertainty of starting the year with an inexperienced player like Arco/Yakimov/LD in the 2C spot should be looked at as a failure for an option. The main argument of point production on the leagues worst team the past 5 years should hold no water.

Not sure why anybody would pick a side and try and argue such a pointless topic. Rightfully so we should be worried about our center depth so how about discussing topics like moving more experienced players like Perron, Pouliot or Eberle to center instead of bringing up a past player who was in dire need of a change of scenery.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Sheesh, I thought trading Gagner would end this tiresome no-end Gagner debates. I'm sick of it. I'm a Gagner supporter myself but last season was a nightmare for him and it was best for the team and Gagner to part ways. I wish him the best in Arizona (except against us of course).

I don't think Arcobello is the answer to our 2nd line centre. However, Yakimov has really impressed me and I think he's gonna earn a roster spot. This guy is effing monster.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I've browsed at an article i just read a few weeks ago saying how the Oilers are now in the top 10 when it comes to average height and weight. I'm still trying to find that article.

With the addition of Pouliot, Purcell, and possibly Draisatl and Yakimov, our team went from being one of the most undersized to top 10.

That's impressive. Props to MAc-T and hopefully that translates on the ice!!

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I was at the game in Calgary last night, so can offer my 2 cents.

Yak was flying but still needs to get his game worked out. Passed when he should have shot and shot when he should have passed. Slammed his stick in frustration once - he still has the passion, but may be feeling the pressure already. His collision with Setoguchi late in the game was one of the few highlights of a pretty dull game.

I often wonder if the coaches aren't too focused on coaching the guy where to be in the defensive zone that they've neglected to help his positioning in the offensive zone. Obviously you need to allow some freedom, but you have to be predictable to some extent so your team mates know what to expect and vice versa. I see such passion for the game and such skill in Yakupov, you gotta think that he could easily be coached up to be a reliable player.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Sheesh, I thought trading Gagner would end this tiresome no-end Gagner debates. I'm sick of it. I'm a Gagner supporter myself but last season was a nightmare for him and it was best for the team and Gagner to part ways. I wish him the best in Arizona (except against us of course).

Yeah, Gagner had to be replaced. Unfortunately, we havent replaced him (yet), but that doesnt change the fact that he had to go.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah, Gagner had to be replaced. Unfortunately, we havent replaced him (yet), but that doesnt change the fact that he had to go.

I don't know, in my mind Draisaitl is his replacement. From what I've seen he is already better then Gagner:laugh: If Gagner does anything better then Draisaitl besides eat a punch I'd like to know what it is.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

I agree with this. Its only a matter of time, until MacT finds that bridge 2C. I really don't have much hope on Arco.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yep, we did not have a Perron or Pouliot or Current Hall for any of those guys. Hemsky was too free for, whereas at least the guys who start with P played in good systems with good positioning.
The Nuge had Eberle and Hall but neither of those players were string defensively yet or great at possession. Having a rookie center sandwiched by 2 guys like Pouliot and Perron is absolutely amazing.

SchultzSquared*

Any one crying over Gagner aka spoiled milk should pay attention to what Coach Tip is saying in AZ...

The plan currently is to have Gagner start at center, but there is a possibility he will shift to the wing to create more minutes.

Sounds like just a player we need NOT...

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Any one crying over Gagner aka spoiled milk should pay attention to what Coach Tip is saying in AZ...

"The plan currently is to have Gagner start at center, but there is a possibility he will shift to the wing to create more minutes."

Sounds like just a player we need NOT...

Of all the things you can pick from to throw at Gagner you choose that?

Doesn't seem so bad to me. A multi-role player. Cool.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Of all the things you can pick from to throw at Gagner you choose that?

Doesn't seem so bad to me. A multi-role player. Cool.
What he was essentially saying was Gagner isn't good enough at center to get enough minutes to score as much as they want so they are thinking of moving him to wing where they hope he can play more minutes.

His faceoffs are blah and his defense is pretty crap, both things you need to be good at to be a good center.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Pretty sure if we kept Gagner the plan was to play him at wing anyway.

That might have been the plan at the start of the offseason but I think if Gagner was still here he'd be lining up at center in the next preseason game.

I refuse to believe that MacT's plan from the start was to have Arco and Draisaitl handed roster spots.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
If I remember correctly, Gagner has always done worse when stuck on the wing as opposed to center. Quite the accomplishment. He is running out of options. Too crappy to play top six, too soft to play bottom six. He is going to play out the rest of his career as a journey man playing for the derelicts of the league. Wouldn't be surprised if he washes up here in Calgary in the not to distant future.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
That might have been the plan at the start of the offseason but I think if Gagner was still here he'd be lining up at center in the next preseason game.

I refuse to believe that MacT's plan from the start was to have Arco and Draisaitl handed roster spots.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst - the Oilers have been guilty of doing the opposite of that old adage since the Lowe/Mact tandem took over running the organization.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
A winger who can play center = Multi-role player.

Center who is moved to the wing = Failure.

I've never claimed that Gagner was the best choice for 2C. All I've been saying is that trading a player away from the weakest position of depth without a replacement coming in was complete folly. Gagner wasn't the ideal person for the job at least make sure someone earns that spot over him before shipping him out. Shipping Gagner out was not addition by subtraction despite how much people would like to believe it was.

What he was essentially saying was Gagner isn't good enough at center to get enough minutes to score as much as they want so they are thinking of moving him to wing where they hope he can play more minutes.

His faceoffs are blah and his defense is pretty crap, both things you need to be good at to be a good center.

That sounds more like your interpretation to me. To me it's more that they recognize his offensive abilities and would rather he be on the ice more rather than playing behind Vermette and Hanzal.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I've never claimed that Gagner was the best choice for 2C. All I've been saying is that trading a player away from the weakest position of depth without a replacement coming in was complete folly. Gagner wasn't the ideal person for the job at least make sure someone earns that spot over him before shipping him out. Shipping Gagner out was not addition by subtraction despite how much people would like to believe it was.

That sounds more like your interpretation to me. To me it's more that they recognize his offensive abilities and would rather he be on the ice more rather than playing behind Vermette and Hanzal.
The recognize his offense but the rest of his game isn't good enough to play above them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad