GDT: Oilers vs Flame SS. sept 21, 2014

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It's not his fault he was picked first overall. Now you're narrowing down the sample size to make a point. I'll throw out one name, Joe Thornton 48 points in 136 games. How about first round picks? or even top 10. The list is massive if you're going to give me a "make it or break it" criteria at the age of 20.

You're also saying third season like it's legit. He's still barely over 100 games and the bulk of those games were with Eakins that paired him with 2 checkers from game 1.

How was THortons 3rd year, being a year younger than Yak?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't have a problem with arco going off what he showed last year. Can't say that I followed him much last night but he definitely deserves a few more games. He may be good enough to be a stop gap third line center but I wouldn't be upset if they brought in an upgrade right away.

Does anyone know what kind of match up that line was facing last night? I assume they were getting a checking line and the Gio-Brodie pairing which was a damn good pairing last year. They won't be getting that match up as a third line this year. Could be a good part of the reason they were ineffective.

Arco saw most of the Monahan line,(a good line) The Knight line (who the **** is that 4th line in an SS game) and a decent Colborne line.

But Arco faced the Knight line the second most minutes. A line he should be owning for fun. Instead he got schooled by Knight on multiple plays. Even one of Arcos wins on a draw against Knight Arco has the puck, Knight just strips it, and walks into the slot.

Trouble with the bolded is that every regular season game against a full squad is going to be harder than this one. Arco was playing with two NHL starters. He was playing against some players that won't get a cup of coffee in the NHL. Arco ought to have had considerable advantage in some of the matchups.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Arco saw most of the Monahan line,(a good line) The Knight line (who the **** is that 4th line in an SS game) and a decent Colborne line.

But Arco faced the Knight line the second most minutes. A line he should be owning for fun. Instead he got schooled by Knight on multiple plays. Even one of Arcos wins on a draw against Knight Arco has the puck, Knight just strips it, and walks into the slot.

Trouble with the bolded is that every regular season game against a full squad is going to be harder than this one. Arco was playing with two NHL starters. He was playing against some players that won't get a cup of coffee in the NHL. Arco ought to have had considerable advantage in some of the matchups.

You still havent replied why your opinion on this game and Willis's is so much different?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
You still havent replied why your opinion on this game and Willis's is so much different?

To be fair, most people's assessment's were different from Willis'

Arcobello could have scored a hat trick last night and some people would have seen it as luck though.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
From what I saw last night, albeit being a preseason game, 60 points is possible.

He'll need to really click on the powerplay for that to happen, particularly if he's getting third line ice time. I'm certainly rooting for him!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Im ok with Yak being the best player on the ice, he should of been last night.

Why I posted the Willis link is he has a different take on Arco

Edit
Not sure why you fired me back a reply on Yakupov? What I said last year was no relevation on this years training camp. What I have said on Yak this year is its show time, no excuses.

Go ahead and twist this post in a different direction to, but I wont be replying.

You may not like what RDR has had to say but he's been owning this thread and uncovering several distortions and implausible views. He's made strong arguments and backed them with data and sound reason.

Really I state this because he's made the kind of points that should cause pause for thought.

WE all have our takes on specific players and what is causing what but its OK to have the discussion. You've mentioned agendas yourself, and in reference to me so you shouldn't be acting offended when somebody mentions this in response to a post by you. jmo

no worries and I appreciate both of you as posters.

lets sing kumbaya. ;)

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The thing about Arcobello is that, if he's a stop-gap measure, and a complementary player, who plays well with the star players but can't carry a line by himself, then...

who cares?

We need him to be serviceable for 1 year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Not sure what you mean. I've detailed my opinion and the concerns I had with Arcos play last night. Everybody else that watched the game in Calgary has specifically signalled out Arcos play for criticism.

meanwhile "whatcha talkin bout willis" says something completely different from anybody else here and you're hanging onto that by a thread and arguing with everybody else here about a game you didn't even watch telling others they watched it wrong or something...

You might want to ask yourself what that's appearing like momentarily.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
He'll need to really click on the powerplay for that to happen, particularly if he's getting third line ice time. I'm certainly rooting for him!

Truth.

He was pushing the pace last night which was really nice to see. He might find some favourable opposition on the third line, which is what I'm crossing my fingers for.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You may not like what RDR has had to say but he's been owning this thread and uncovering several distortions and implausible views. He's made strong arguments and backed them with data and sound reason.

Really I state this because he's made the kind of points that should cause pause for thought.

WE all have our takes on specific players and what is causing what but its OK to have the discussion. You've mentioned agendas yourself, and in reference to me so you shouldn't be acting offended when somebody mentions this in response to a post by you. jmo

no worries and I appreciate both of you as posters.

lets sing kumbaya. ;)

Hhahahah

Im not offended at all, and love a discussion. I said last night before the game started, Yak should be the best player on the ice tonight. He proved me right, hopefully he proves me right in the show time this year statement also. :)

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The thing about Arcobello is that, if he's a stop-gap measure, and a complementary player, who plays well with the star players but can't carry a line by himself, then...

who cares?

We need him to be serviceable for 1 year.

If we were talking about the 4th line, then yeah, sure.

This is our second line though and in this conference and even more so, our division, it's something to worry about.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not sure what you mean. I've detailed my opinion and the concerns I had with Arcos play last night. Everybody else that watched the game in Calgary has specifically signalled out Arcos play for criticism.

meanwhile "whatcha talkin bout willis" says something completely different from anybody else here and you're hanging onto that by a thread and arguing with everybody else here about a game you didn't even watch telling others they watched it wrong or something...

You might want to ask yourself what that's appearing like momentarily.

lol good, ill quit being a dumb dumb, just found it intresting that lots on here that dont think he is a NHL'er said his game was horrible last night. Willis stated it wasnt

I didnt watch the game so I cant argue, just found it intresting.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hhahahah

Im not offended at all, and love a discussion. I said last night before the game started, Yak should be the best player on the ice tonight. He proved me right, hopefully he proves me right in the show time this year statement also. :)

Monahan was the best player on the ice, followed by Giio followed by Setuguchi, followed by...:(

Yak was the most dangerous Oiler. That said Joensuu was found the second most likely to score on some good goal mouth banging. Best Oiler line by a mile was Gordon line.

I actually like that the Oilers are trying to grow Joensuu's game by having him bookended with two professionals like Gordon and Hendricks. It seems a stretch for Joensuu to be there and killing penalties and he looks out of sorts at times but its the team trying to get a player with attributes and potential to dial in and focus. it had its good moments.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
lol good, ill quit being a dumb dumb, just found it intresting that lots on here that dont think he is a NHL'er said his game was horrible last night. Willis stated it wasnt

I didnt watch the game so I cant argue, just found it intresting.

Sorry if there was any tone with that. As an Edmonton fan I watched all the wrong games this weekend.

First the esks :rant:, then mybad, decided to watch the wrong Oiler game. :laugh:

I'm not finding the right porridge..

ps what you should pay heed to is Arco fans were also stating Arco had a poor game. That could be something;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If we were talking about the 4th line, then yeah, sure.

This is our second line though and in this conference and even more so, our division, it's something to worry about.

Precisely, and as much as I love Draisaitl the result seems to be that he will be forcefed an NHL tough WC diet immediately this season and having to adapt instantly vs getting more time.

That's where this leads and I'd be surprised to be wrong on that one.

I love what RNH and Drai bring to our future as a 1,2 punch. just didn't think it should be this year.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Monahan was the best player on the ice, followed by Giio followed by Setuguchi, followed by...:(

Yak was the most dangerous Oiler. That said Joensuu was found the second most likely to score on some good goal mouth banging. Best Oiler line by a mile was Gordon line.

I actually like that the Oilers are trying to grow Joensuu's game by having him bookended with two professionals like Gordon and Hendricks. It seems a stretch for Joensuu to be there and killing penalties and he looks out of sorts at times but its the team trying to get a player with attributes and potential to dial in and focus. it had its good moments.

I like Willis's assesment on Yak and Arco better than yours only cause I want his to be right :p:

and yes im totally being a smart ass

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Except Willis comment is vastly different than ANYBODY here that watched the game in Calgary.

Several posters here, even Arco fans are saying Arco had a poor game. Willis is painting a picture of Arco playing a good game which is nobody elses take.

I should read what he has to say about Purcells effort, lol. Purcell was putrid and as many indicated looked entirely disinterested.

Here is the thing.

I thought Arco looked like crap. He got beat up in the face off circle and at times seemed very intimidated by physical contact. Wasn't great positionally and didn't show much offensively either.

But.

He was also dealing with a super spazzy and out of position Yak all night. I don't disagree offensively speaking Yak was the best player, but his positioning in general last night was TERRIBLE. I don't think even the Nuge could have salvaged much with how Purcell and Yak played last night.

I will also point out that Arco's play was pretty much a complete 180 from how he played like last year. No matter how people will try to spin it, last years Arco was strong in all the ways I mentioned he was weak in this one preseason game to date.

The anti Arco movement is embellishing exactly how terrible Arco was last night as well. Even taking it so far as to say that is how he played last year as well. I was disappointed cause I was expecting what I seen last year, and he didn't deliver but he also wasn't as bad as some people are making him out to be.

Maybe Arco success is based off of playing with better line mates, maybe Arco's success last year was a fluke... Maybe he will have to start in the AHL to find his game...

But if history has taught us anything it's that preseason means absolutely nothing.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Precisely, and as much as I love Draisaitl the result seems to be that he will be forcefed an NHL tough WC diet immediately this season and having to adapt instantly vs getting more time.

That's where this leads and I'd be surprised to be wrong on that one.

I love what RNH and Drai bring to our future as a 1,2 punch. just didn't think it should be this year.
Having Drai as our 2c isn't ideal but it is what he is right now. Other then Nuge it's clear is day he is our second best center. If Pouliot keeps up what he has shown and Perron stays himself Draisaitl will have an alright time even with some rookie struggles.

Not ideal but Drai will have an easier time then Gagner or Nuge had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad