GDT: Oilers vs Canucks - Final Rexall Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't know maybe it's just me, but I really don't care about it being the last game at Rexall. This is like the day your 1st piece of **** car dies.

agreed.
I remember the actual events I went to there, but nothing in my memories includes anything about the arena.

for example, I clearly remember being in the 13th row on the floor for the Bowie sound and vision tour. I remember a fair bit about the show, and nope. nothing about the rink in my head. it was "I saw bowie!" not "I saw bowie at northlands."

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Oh man, if this team lays an egg like they did against Calgary...it'll be like watching a 70's RV going up in flames as its transmission craters trying to chug its way up the coquihala: Horrifying, but fascinating viewing.

My half-assed prediction is that the team will come out hard and fast like they did against Calgary, but if Vancouver's netminding (and the Miller/Markstrom tandem have been good of late) keeps them in it and the Oilers can't get a goal within the first 10 minutes? The Oilers composure is going to melt like ice cream on the sidewalk.

So many eyes on them, and so many expectations to not suck...while Vancouver can play loose because absolutely nobody expects them to win or be anything more than a punching bag for this game.

This is going to be popcorn-worthy.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
agreed.
I remember the actual events I went to there, but nothing in my memories includes anything about the arena.

for example, I clearly remember being in the 13th row on the floor for the Bowie sound and vision tour. I remember a fair bit about the show, and nope. nothing about the rink in my head. it was "I saw bowie!" not "I saw bowie at northlands."

I am in the same boat, i have seen a ton of games there and frankly never want to see anther one. To many bad seats, no leg room, squished together, bad food, to few washrooms....

The list goes on. I don't care.

That said it will be interesting to see how the oilers come out. They should never be more motivated than tonight, so lets see how they come out.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The team will gas it. They have not won a big game in this building in years.

Also mcokmcgomcoil, I'll have your replacement avatar next week hopefully.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oh man, if this team lays an egg like they did against Calgary...it'll be like watching a 70's RV going up in flames as its transmission craters trying to chug its way up the coquihala: Horrifying, but fascinating viewing.

My half-assed prediction is that the team will come out hard and fast like they did against Calgary, but if Vancouver's netminding (and the Miller/Markstrom tandem have been good of late) keeps them in it and the Oilers can't get a goal within the first 10 minutes? The Oilers composure is going to melt like ice cream on the sidewalk.

So many eyes on them, and so many expectations to not suck...while Vancouver can play loose because absolutely nobody expects them to win or be anything more than a punching bag for this game.

This is going to be popcorn-worthy.

I agree they shouldn't lay and egg, but it doesn't have anything to do with it being the last BOA at rexall or last game at Rexall. Why the **** should the players care that it's the last game in Rexall? They should be caring about things that actually matter, like the games themselves not some sort of make belief bullcrap.

I mean showing that extra effort for Smyth was great, but to me them laying an egg tonight would be the same as laying one a month ago just not acceptable.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I agree with those stating that this should be the final look back for the Oilers organization for a long while. I understand the nostalgia behind certain moments, especially the Boys on the Bus, and yet it has to end at a certain point.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I would hope they all kick up their personal performances up a notch.

I hope this one has been circled on the calendar for a while and they all treat it as a must win.

If they can't go out there and give it their all for one game, after this extended rest, after getting bag skated, then that just makes it easier for me personally to say goodbye to players that I've been watching for years.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Kevin lowe loves this garbage.

Remember when he booked his favorite band to play at the reunion. And his analogy that the last game was like how he planned his wedding.

How about **** you Lowe. It was never about you and when you made it about you it destroyed the franchise.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Now that they are tearing down this old dump and moving into a new barn, can this organization please just let go of the past once and for all? I swear they have had more ceremonies honoring the olden days in the last 5 years than they have wins on home ice. Move on.

They haven't made any plans to tear it down. Might turn it into something else.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The constant peddling of the "Glory Days" is nothing more than a marketing tool(distraction) right now and it's not going away until(unless) the current team improves to the point where it isn't the joke of the modern NHL.

As for the game, I don't doubt they will show up tonight. That doesn't mean they'll win though.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I almost want to see them get blown out by the Nucks. Imagine the chaos that would ensue in Rexall if the Oil were to go down 3 early. I would hope at that point any player not showing effort would be getting booed mercilessly

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I went to a lot of games and concerts and other events there. My 1st concert was Bon Jovi during the These Days tour. Was the first time I could smell Marijuana my Dad took me and my cousin and I asked him what the smell was. He says "Its Marijuana"

Good bye ol Gal, its been fun, minus the last 10 years but there was fun at least once. Good bye $20 parking at Northlands, though I never paid I parked at the race track for Free.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I almost want to see them get blown out by the Nucks. Imagine the chaos that would ensue in Rexall if the Oil were to go down 3 early. I would hope at that point any player not showing effort would be getting booed mercilessly

I guess, but this is completely meaningless for the Canucks, and it would just be awful to try a celebrate the end of a Storied old building, with everyone's rage at the team hitting another high because of a poor performance.

They might do this on their own, I would just hate to see it because it will make everything awful, and this night is about more then just This Team Right Now.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Can they dress 23 of the alumni and have them play?

Kevin lowe loves this garbage.

Remember when he booked his favorite band to play at the reunion. And his analogy that the last game was like how he planned his wedding.

How about **** you Lowe. It was never about you and when you made it about you it destroyed the franchise.
He's a giant piece of ****.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oil sure rolling the dice in thinking people are actually going to stay after the game. Gonna look pretty pathetic if people are gone. Almost need to offer something free on the way out in order to keep people there.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
A video I made for the last game at Rexall Place. Hope you guys enjoy.

I'm trying to use the YouTube link here on hfboards but it doesn't seem to work. Here is the url: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-rZrA5cCiU&feature=youtu.be

Edit: thanks McTrashboat

This was really nice, thanks for putting it together. I really hope the Oilers don't ruin the night by stinking it up again. As was said, this is about more than just the current team.

I would also really appreciate hearing the crowd get into the singing of the Anthem again, even if I'm likely to miss the first tonight.

(yes, I'm breaking my plan to ignore the Oil until the offseason, but only for this night).

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I am in the same boat, i have seen a ton of games there and frankly never want to see anther one. To many bad seats, no leg room, squished together, bad food, to few washrooms....

The list goes on. I don't care.

That said it will be interesting to see how the oilers come out. They should never be more motivated than tonight, so lets see how they come out.

Perfect.

Tonight is the litmus test. If any player has an off night tonight get rid of them. I'm serious.

McDavid is truly the only untouchable on this team and he'll be up for the game.

If a player can't respond to what they see tonight then they gots to go. Tonight is the best indication of whether or not a player has heart.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Perfect.

Tonight is the litmus test. If any player has an off night tonight get rid of them. I'm serious.

McDavid is truly the only untouchable on this team and he'll be up for the game.

If a player can't respond to what they see tonight then they gots to go. Tonight is the best indication of whether or not a player has heart.

The litmus test has already been failed. We know what they are. One game doesn't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad