GDT: Oilers vs Canucks - Final Rexall Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Just ****ing win. I can't stomach another effort like Calgary in front of Gretz, Mess, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson, and the rest.
No kidding. Every time the awesome vets are back to watch, the Oilers take a big dump on their fans with an abysmal effort and loss.

Can you imagine Messier in 1990 putting up with this bunch of overpaid, soft bums? Mess basically scared Jimmy Carson off the team back in '89. Today, we have an entire line-up of Jimmy Carsons.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
What should happen tonight is that the alumni should play and this sad sack of losers we call a team should sit and watch.

Anyway you look at it, finishing 29th or 30th this year and *maybe* hitting 70pts is a disgusting failure. I don't care how many injuries we had or who was out.

Anyone know if the telecast of the game on sportsnet west will be blacked out in Toronto?
If so what channel will the Center Ice be in the Bell network in Toronto?
I am currently out of town, and is asking my wife to PVR the game and the closing ceremony for me. I have Bell Center ice package, so don't want to confuse da wifey too much.

I see the closing ceremony in the guide at 10pm. But curious to see if the game will be available in Ontario? Sportsnet Ontario is showing the Toronto Columbus game.

I have Bell FibeTV in TO and the guide tells me the game is blacked out here, which i find to be silly by sportsnet. The closing ceremony will be aired nationally though.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
Previous posters mentioned some great former Oilers not attending. We all probably have some past favourites missing from the list. Assume it was work obligations for most of them - Marchment, Weight, Staios.
Possibly the same with Tikkanen (assume he is finishing a tour of duty in some Mongolia hockey league). I don't see a lot of the Europeans on the list overall, but there are some classic names attending: Kurri, Klima, Kravchuck, Lindstrom, Ruotsalainen, and Jussi Markkanen.
I'm surprised Mike Comrie is not attending. Seems like with his home town connections it'd be a good excuse to attend. Plus I thought he made peace with the fans on his second tour of duty.
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=877276

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Ok, this is going to be a tough game not for the Oilers so much, but for the officials. Last game in Rexall - just think how hard it will be for them to make them the story and not all this other stuff.... they will really need to rise to the occasion tonight.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Just FYI, these 3 things are not true. Each happened before the Oilers last made the playoffs.

Youtube was around, but Katy Perry didn't go mainstream until 2007/08, and Iron man(2008) was the first of the Marvel made movies that kicked off the marvel universe series.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Now that they are tearing down this old dump and moving into a new barn, can this organization please just let go of the past once and for all? I swear they have had more ceremonies honoring the olden days in the last 5 years than they have wins on home ice. Move on.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
No kidding. Every time the awesome vets are back to watch, the Oilers take a big dump on their fans with an abysmal effort and loss.

Can you imagine Messier in 1990 putting up with this bunch of overpaid, soft bums? Mess basically scared Jimmy Carson off the team back in '89. Today, we have an entire line-up of Jimmy Carsons.

My uncle mentioned that the other day. Man, even Jason Smith and Mike Grier would have smacked these guys around.

The Oilers have had so many character guys over the years and it's sad to see so many floaters.

In Chiarelli we trust!

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Now that they are tearing down this old dump and moving into a new barn, can this organization please just let go of the past once and for all? I swear they have had more ceremonies honoring the olden days in the last 5 years than they have wins on home ice. Move on.

And can we petition that they not show a video of all the great moments in the old stadium on the opening of the new stadium? Why chance bringing any of that stuff over. Just drop the puck and start fresh - but I'm sure they won't.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Sure wish I can get to shake Gretz hand tonight. That would be pretty dam awesome.

Anyone know if they have anything cool going on outside the rink this afternoon? Like if I show up at 2 is there going to be anything to do?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I really hate that I'm getting this excited for this stupid game after the massive turd they dropped last game.

I really want them to send rexall off on a positive note. Losing to van today would be just the worst way to go out.

Please win, in convincing fashion. Do it for all those who busted their ***** before you, and for those who support you solely because they supported them.

Don't let yourself come before the tradition that this building has been a part of, and the great teams before you that played here. Rexall, and the fans, deserve a fantastic game tonight.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Last Game Ever At Rexall, The Edmonton Sun... Really?

I mean sure the Oilers are terrible, but Rexall hosting its last ever game is not news in Edmonton?

Today I visit the Edmonton Sun website looking for a nice big front page post about Rexall. Nothing. What do I see... an article about potholes!

I mean really? This is currently the most historic building left in the league entering its final NHL game.

Last edited:

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I want to see McDavid get a hat trick!!

didn't they give a couple of weeks notice? I remember a few newspaper articles some time ago.
granted, they should have given months notice, not weeks.

No idea about the newspapers, but they only e-mailed ticket holders 6 days ago or at least that's when I received mine :dunno:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
This is a real gut check game for me. If you can't produce an effort on a night like this then the Oilers no longer need your services.

Whether they dog it, or crush it, nothing changes for me. We've seen all we need to see of these players to know what they are. Even if they work their ***** off the next two games, I know if there were 3 more to follow it wouldn't last. I hope no one gets fooled by their smoke and mirrors in the next couple of games. And with that being said, I hope we actually make the score of this game worth remembering. The ceremony will be special, but I hope the game is too. I'm worried that they'll go full Oiler and suck like they always do when a game means something.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Would he still? I dont know, I mean they cheered Pocklington so I think we've shown the ability to "get over it"

Pretty much. If Pocklington somehow gets cheered, anyone can get cheered. All it took for us to love Comrie again was a scrap in a pre-season game.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
And can we petition that they not show a video of all the great moments in the old stadium on the opening of the new stadium? Why chance bringing any of that stuff over. Just drop the puck and start fresh - but I'm sure they won't.

I'd be actually more ok with the constant re-hashing of the past if they kept it to the the pregame montages and not the front office.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This team crumbles under any sort of pressure. And with all alumni eyes watching, I'm expecting a disaster of epic proportions

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Would be funny seeing all the exclusive oilers booing them if they lay another stinker. I hope it's a good game though I'm gonna get there for 330 when the doors open

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I had no idea Jake Brenk was an NHL ref. That's everything I need to learn for today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad