GDT: Oilers vs Canucks - Final Rexall Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Sick so I had to sell my ticket :(

They gave short notice of the game time change, here's the email I received a few days ago:

Important Information
Oilers vs. Canucks
Wednesday, April 6, 2016
5:00 PM MDT

We hope you will be joining us for the Oilers Farewell Night at Rexall Place next Wednesday, April 6. Over 150 Oilers Alumni have confirmed their participation in what will be a very memorable Closing Ceremony. Jari Kurri, Dave Semenko, Mike Krushelnyski, Martin Gelinas, Ron Chipperfield, Igor Kravchuk, Glenn Anderson and Georges Laraque are just a few of our alumni who will be present.

Please note these important changes for this game:

Game time has been moved to 5:00 PM. Doors at Rexall Place will open at 3:30 PM.
There will be a full intermission following the conclusion of the hockey game to allow for set-up of the Closing Ceremony. Concessions will remain open through the end of the post-game intermission.
The Scotiabank Club at ice level will close immediately after the post-game intermission.
All fans are encouraged to be in their seats immediately after the post-game intermission, so as not to miss any of the Closing Ceremony.
The Closing Ceremony is expected to last at least 90 minutes.
The Oilers Stores on the main concourse will remain open after the Closing Ceremony.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Anyone know if the telecast of the game on sportsnet west will be blacked out in Toronto?
If so what channel will the Center Ice be in the Bell network in Toronto?
I am currently out of town, and is asking my wife to PVR the game and the closing ceremony for me. I have Bell Center ice package, so don't want to confuse da wifey too much.

I see the closing ceremony in the guide at 10pm. But curious to see if the game will be available in Ontario? Sportsnet Ontario is showing the Toronto Columbus game.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is only how I feel not what actually should be done.

After the horn sounds signaling the end of the game someone needs to light a match and burn that building to the ground.

I have a few great memories in the building itself and watched too many great moments to count. But the last ten years have been so bad the only rational thing to do is walk away and move on to hopefully better days.

Hope The Oil win both thier last two games to finally break the 70 point mark but could care less that its rexals last game.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just ****ing win. I can't stomach another effort like Calgary in front of Gretz, Mess, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson, and the rest.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If McDavid is the only player that plays with pride I will be so ****ing disappointed. Sadly I'll probably be waiting with bated breath only to be let down one more time.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Anyone know if the telecast of the game on sportsnet west will be blacked out in Toronto?
If so what channel will the Center Ice be in the Bell network in Toronto?
I am currently out of town, and is asking my wife to PVR the game and the closing ceremony for me. I have Bell Center ice package, so don't want to confuse da wifey too much.

I see the closing ceremony in the guide at 10pm. But curious to see if the game will be available in Ontario? Sportsnet Ontario is showing the Toronto Columbus game.

I read on the Oilers website that Sportsnet will air the game and ceremony nationally. Not sure yet which channel but at least those of us in the East will now get to watch it all.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Donno what you guys are all worried about. Oilers will win tomorrow. No problem. :yo:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Do we have some input on our schedule at the start of the year? I find it very odd that our last game of the year isn't at Rexall. It seems like with all the ceremony it will be a bit weird to have to play after that.

Also it is a bit unprofessional to have the change the time, although maybe they couldn't plan the thing that far in advance (I guess)

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Do we have some input on our schedule at the start of the year? I find it very odd that our last game of the year isn't at Rexall. It seems like with all the ceremony it will be a bit weird to have to play after that.

Also it is a big unprofessional to have the change the time, although maybe they couldn't plan the thing that far in advance (I guess)

Ya and McDavid's first game was at STL too.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
Things that have happened since the Oilers made the playoffs:

-Two new countries have formed.
-Four elements have been discovered and added to the Periodic Table of the Elements.
-The Large Hadron Collider has been completed, turned on, and found the Higgs Boson.
-The first African American President has been elected and re-elected, and will serve his entire second term.
-The Hunger Games have been released first as novels, then as films.
-Every iteration of the iPhone.
-Breaking Bad started, ended, and spun-off a new TV show.
-Twitter, Tumblr, Pintrest, Google+, Instagram, and Twitch were launched
-The New Horizons probe traveled from Jupiter to Pluto.
-Every Iron Man, Captain America, and Avengers film; the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe.
-The Crocodile Hunter was killed.
-Minecraft was developed, released, sold 70 million copies, and sold to Microsoft.
-"Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira was the #1 song and Pixar's "Cars" the #1 film the day of the last Oilers playoff game.
-The Dow gained 2,500 points, lost 8,000 points, and gained 10,000 points.
-The entirety of Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, and Lady Gaga's careers.
-Israel has fought four wars.
-The entire cycle of the 2016 Olympic Summer Games: from the launch of the bidding process, to the shortlisting of cities, to the selection of Rio de Janeiro, to the Games themselves will have been completed before the Oilers play another playoff game.
-Jonathan Toews has been drafted, won three Stanley Cups, two Olympic golds, and scored 223g 283a 506 points.
-Duke Nukem Forever was completed, released, and generally panned.
-Leonardo DiCaprio has been nominated for three Oscars and won one.
-The Maersk Alabama was hijacked, rescued, turned into a book, adapted into a film, and parodied on South Park.
-NASA has retired the space shuttle.
-Connor McDavid graduated from Elementary, Junior High, and High School, and has been drafted into the NHL.
-Eric Lindros played 49 regular season and 3 post-season games.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Also it is a big unprofessional to have the change the time, although maybe they couldn't plan the thing that far in advance (I guess)

First game is in LA then CGY for HNIC on a back to back. Same thing the week after in Anaheim and Vancouver. Then they don't play for 9 days before going on a 12 game road trip against the best teams in the east over 10 days. The first home game at the new arena is against the Western All star team (with McDavid) on Halloween. Linesman has horsecollaring penciled in for "anyone within reach" to mark the occasion.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It was an open invitation to anyone who played even one game for the franchise. I assume anyone not in attendance is absent of their own volition.
Everyone? You think Souray is welcome? I seriously doubt that.
And Pronger would be booed for sure if he dared show his face.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

Would he still? I dont know, I mean they cheered Pocklington so I think we've shown the ability to "get over it"

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Sick so I had to sell my ticket :(

They gave short notice of the game time change, here's the email I received a few days ago:

didn't they give a couple of weeks notice? I remember a few newspaper articles some time ago.
granted, they should have given months notice, not weeks.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

-Two new countries have formed.
-Four elements have been discovered and added to the Periodic Table of the Elements.
-The Large Hadron Collider has been completed, turned on, and found the Higgs Boson.
-The first African American President has been elected and re-elected, and will serve his entire second term.
-The Hunger Games have been released first as novels, then as films.
-Every iteration of the iPhone.
-Breaking Bad started, ended, and spun-off a new TV show.
-Twitter, Tumblr, Pintrest, Google+, Instagram, and Twitch were launched
-The New Horizons probe traveled from Jupiter to Pluto.
-Every Iron Man, Captain America, and Avengers film; the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe.
-The Crocodile Hunter was killed.
-Minecraft was developed, released, sold 70 million copies, and sold to Microsoft.
-"Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira was the #1 song and Pixar's "Cars" the #1 film the day of the last Oilers playoff game.
-The Dow gained 2,500 points, lost 8,000 points, and gained 10,000 points.
-Israel has fought four wars.
-The entire cycle of the 2016 Olympic Summer Games: from the launch of the bidding process, to the shortlisting of cities, to the selection of Rio de Janeiro, to the Games themselves will have been completed before the Oilers play another playoff game.
-Jonathan Toews has been drafted, won three Stanley Cups, two Olympic golds, and scored 223g 283a 506 points.
-Duke Nukem Forever was completed, released, and generally panned.
-Leonardo DiCaprio has been nominated for three Oscars and won one.
-The Maersk Alabama was hijacked, rescued, turned into a book, adapted into a film, and parodied on South Park.
-NASA has retired the space shuttle.
-Connor McDavid graduated from Elementary, Junior High, and High School, and has been drafted into the NHL.
-Eric Lindros played 49 regular season and 3 post-season games.

Last time the Oilers made the playoffs:

Facebook was not usable by the public. (Myspace was still the social networking site of choice).

Playstation 3, and the Original Wii were not out. (PS4, Wii U are active in their current cycles).

Nobody used Youtube

Netflix was a DVD mailing service. They would not stream movies for another 2 years.

Ovechkin has scored 470 Goals since we last made the Playoffs.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know maybe it's just me, but I really don't care about it being the last game at Rexall. This is like the day your 1st piece of **** car dies.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
The oilers usually do well against the canucks, who are also tanking hard. Wouldn't be surprised to see a high scoring oilers win. 5-3

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't know. If Souray wanted to be there I don't think fans would've cared. Since that player's tribune has come out guys like him and POS have gained a lot of respect by a lot of people.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The oilers usually do well against the canucks, who are also tanking hard. Wouldn't be surprised to see a high scoring oilers win. 5-3

They've won 3 in a row, so I wouldn't exactly say they are tanking. They are a team that has a lot of vets and for the most part players don't give a **** about 1st overall picks, they are playing to win.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
with the taste this team has left in everyones mouth i hope the alumni get a playoff style standing O and then the fans proceed to boo the team thats disappointed them for the last decade.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

Last time the Oilers made the playoffs:
Nobody used Youtube

Just FYI, these 3 things are not true. Each happened before the Oilers last made the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad