GDT: Oilers Trollolololol the League and Win the Right to Draft McDavid 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
@16DarcyTucker

Edmonton is a unbelievable hockey city with tradition. Stop with all goofiness. The kid will go and turn it back to 1984 #boysonthebus

F U TORONTO

Someone should tell Tucker that he'll never get a cushy Toronto media job saying things like that.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
@16DarcyTucker

Edmonton is a unbelievable hockey city with tradition. Stop with all goofiness. The kid will go and turn it back to 1984 #boysonthebus

F U TORONTO

Classy remark from a very unclassy player on the ice. Off the ice, he seems like he'd be a nice guy.

However, I'm a little irked that we're unable to detach ourselves from the past. If we won a Stanley Cup with this current group, we'd still hear about how they're never be as good as the guys during the 80s.

People talk about identity and how we don't have one, and that's because we're unable to shed the shadow of our dynasty days.

/offtangentrant

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Classy remark from a very unclassy player on the ice. Off the ice, he seems like he'd be a nice guy.

However, I'm a little irked that we're unable to detach ourselves from the past. If we won a Stanley Cup with this current group, we'd still hear about how they're never be as good as the guys during the 80s.

People talk about identity and how we don't have one, and that's because we're unable to shed the shadow of our dynasty days.

/offtangentrant

That's kind of what happens when you make a franchise a retirement home for the bit players of a dynasty, who spend all their time trying to remind everyone how wonderful everything used to be because they have nothing to offer anymore.

I don't worry that any future success would be minimized by this kind of stuff though. The guys who live and breath that kind of stuff within the organization won't the ones to bring success to the team, and the pool of people who compare everything to those cup wins gets smaller every year due to the natural progression of time(age + death etc).

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
https://twitter.com/conairmcdavid

Haha, spelt Connor's name wrong and found this. This person has been running this Twitter account for a while before the draft lottery. His reaction during the draft lottery is hilarious.

Best retweet on that entire account for me -

Dan Tencer @dantencer Apr 19
"If the odds had held up, he'd be a Buffalo Sabre." - Dave Hodge, on the 80% chance that McDavid wasn't going to be a Buffalo Sabre.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

/offtangentrant

For all intents and purposes the Dynasty ended in 1988 when Gretzky was sold. That means you have to be at least 40 to have at least been reasonably in touch with what the Dynasty was all about. When I go to Oiler games these days what I notice is how young the fans are. If this team wins a cup in the near future they will own the city. Thirty years from now they may not have the same cache, but in the moment it will be insane.

Dave Chung

Mar 3, 2008
Just wanted to say I love you guys - This Monday was pretty good

I am still full from tears over the weekend

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
Listening to the radio this morning in Toronto and felt sick to my stomach. Especially Jeff Blair. What an idiot.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I can't wait until he signs an ELC and we don't have to hear this BS for at least 2 more years.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Listening to the radio this morning in Toronto and felt sick to my stomach. Especially Jeff Blair. What an idiot.

What gets me is the leaf fans are more pissed off, upset or suicidal then Buffalo or Arizona--that cracks me up

mods can correct me on this--but I think leaf fans were the ones who went crazy the most saturday night--If they had finished dead last then I could understand it--but they finished 27th and are drafting 4th

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
You know what though guys? If we ever start winning, our skins will be hard as iron, and we will have been moulded to brush off negative attention like the buzzing of gnats.

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
What gets me is the leaf fans are more pissed off, upset or suicidal then Buffalo or Arizona--that cracks me up

mods can correct me on this--but I think leaf fans were the ones who went crazy the most saturday night--If they had finished dead last then I could understand it--but they finished 27th and are drafting 4th

Funny enough the reason we finished where we did is because of them pumping the tires of an incompetant coach in Eakins. If we had Nelson all year i highly doubt we win the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad