Post-Game Talk: Oilers survive a scare, make up for Steve Smith 35 years ago

How surprised are you that the Oilers pulled it out tonight?

• Total voters

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly we have come back from multi goal deficits a few times now. Would prefer to be up, of course, but a goal or two down after 1 is not the death sentence it used to be.
It would be nice to get that first goal early. Get the fans out of the game, but I agree we should be able to comeback.

McDavid is playing with the whole boulder on his shoulder right now and one would think if we are down 1 or 2 he's going to take his game to yet another level.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
If I had missed the 1st period and turned on the TV and listened to Simpson, Friedman, et all, I'd swear it was the Oilers that were down 3-0. Same thing after the 2nd. Wow, these guys don't even try to hide their bias.

Oilers learning to win ugly, when they don't have the A game going. I expect McDavid to go full nuclear on the Flames on Thursday. Just need Smitty and the defensive game to hold us in there till we get a footing.
all game it was "tanev is such a warrior, such a tough player" where was that same energy when leon scored 4pts on one leg. lol oilers are ON FIRE

Could be, they aren't without talent, but they look like they're chasing the game and it's showing on the ice.
they tired to play tough agitator style and ended up with PP, PK, 4v4 which we scored on all of them, then they tried to play a composed skill game and got ownt again. i dont know what sutter has left in his box of tricks by my guess is severely disciplined boring NJ Devils in the 90-00s trap and hope the oilers dont get a PP. i think the oilers just keep dictating pace and attacking in numbers. the flames are altering their game, the oilers havent changed at all, same consisitent game plan, just the execution is off at times.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
all game it was "tanev is such a warrior, such a tough player" where was that same energy when leon scored 4pts on one leg. lol oilers are ON FIRE

they tired to play tough agitator style and ended up with PP, PK, 4v4 which we scored on all of them, then they tried to play a composed skill game and got ownt again. i dont know what sutter has left in his box of tricks by my guess is severely disciplined boring NJ Devils in the 90-00s trap and hope the oilers dont get a PP. i think the oilers just keep dictating pace and attacking in numbers. the flames are altering their game, the oilers havent changed at all, same consisitent game plan, just the execution is off at times.
Calgary's star players need to step up.

They can't have a whole first line have the same amount of points combined as McDavid.

Their star players simply have to push their game to another level if they want to stand a chance.

Also I don't know what their options are, but what the heck is Lucic doing dressed? He has 7 hits in 4gp this series. His hits/60 are right around JP and KY's numbers. If you are dressing the guy he simply has to do more. 3 minors, a major and a game misconduct. Surely they must have someone else that can actually do something productive.

Reactions: CornKicker

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is what Smith saw when Anderson fired the puck.
So, Sutter will be telling his troops the game strategy for tomorrow is "f*** the forecheck, let's fire pucks on net from inside our blueline, because we found their weakness now. "

Last edited:

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Not a chance. We’re a vocal and diehard bunch, no doubt - but just look at some of the markets we’re up against; there’s 10 million people living in Chicagoland, 10 in Michigan, 15 in New England, and even more just in metro NYC.
All 4 of Chicago, Boston, Detroit, and New York also have big followings across Canada and the USA too.
Sorry, meant in Canada

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Calgary's star players need to step up.

They can't have a whole first line have the same amount of points combined as McDavid.

Their star players simply have to push their game to another level if they want to stand a chance.

Also I don't know what their options are, but what the heck is Lucic doing dressed? He has 7 hits in 4gp this series. His hits/60 are right around JP and KY's numbers. If you are dressing the guy he simply has to do more. 3 minors, a major and a game misconduct. Surely they must have someone else that can actually do something productive.

They're falling into the same trap the Oilers did when we had him. He's a dog shit joke of a player, but you can't scratch him because he was good 10 years ago and the tantrum he would throw due to bruised ego with a scratch wouldn't make it worth the hassle. Also - how can you show him walking into the rink with his fake scowl and some dumbass cowboy getup if he's not going to dress?

Ruzica and Carpenter would 100% make more of an impact than that ugly loser, but his name still has pedigree for whatever reason so no.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
They're falling into the same trap the Oilers did when we had him. He's a dog shit joke of a player, but you can't scratch him because he was good 10 years ago and the tantrum he would throw due to bruised ego with a scratch wouldn't make it worth the hassle.

Indeed. But “something something Mike Smith was a locker room cancer in Calgary”

:laugh::help:

Dougie Hamilton was too, right? (Yes Lucic wasn’t there then obviously but a lot of the core guys were.) Lucic certainly didn’t ruffle any other player’s feathers here!

Reactions: K1984

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It makes sense from their perspective. They spent most of the year scoring first, and led the league in wins when leading after the first period.

They've spent all year forcing other teams to play from behind, so the Markstrom goal basically screwed them.
They literally scored a goal gifted by the gods to tie it and then blew it again. So no.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They literally scored a goal gifted by the gods to tie it and then blew it again. So no.

I'll give some credence to the theory because the Flames have basically followed a template to a good proportion of their wins.

Jump on the opposition quick, get out of the first with a 1 or 2-0 lead, then force the other team to cheat and then burn them on mistakes. Although they tied the game, the flow of it wasn't right for them. I don't think they are able to adapt well outside the template when the situation demands it.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
It makes sense from their perspective. They spent most of the year scoring first, and led the league in wins when leading after the first period.

They've spent all year forcing other teams to play from behind, so the Markstrom goal basically screwed them.
What? No..it doesn't make sense, anymore then there one player bs.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
My objective bracket had Calgary in 6.... Sad to say. After the blowout boa in the regular season I worried our goaltending would be lacking... That they had Smith 's number and Koskinen is just.. not reliable enough. My subjective bracket had EDM in 5 ... What I thought was a pipe dream could become reality if they come out wanting it. Sort of a bittersweet deal doubting the team you care about and being proven wrong. Where was my faith!

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Just rewatched the game winning goal, who the hell is Kylington supposed to be covering? Isn’t he supposed to be as good as Duncan Keith in his prime?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad