Post-Game Talk: Oilers survive a scare, make up for Steve Smith 35 years ago

How surprised are you that the Oilers pulled it out tonight?

• Total voters

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I didn't see the whole game yesterday. Is Sutter actually line-matching now, or does he still think his 4th-line vs. McDavid / Drai / Kane is a good idea?

The Oilers were lucky in game four. It really should be a 2-2 series now, but the Hockey Gods are giving back for what they took away against Anaheim in 2017 and those three overtimes last season vs. Winnipeg. Eventually, the luck had to fall on Edmonton's side.

May it continue. Honestly, I think they need to win game five in Calgary. I have seen Oiler teams cough-up 3-1 leads before (1989; 1991) and it resulted in either series losses or game 7 overtimes, and my heart could not take either.

Also, let's face it: If the Oilers are going to have a hope in hell vs. Colorado (who seem about to clinch tonight), they need some rest. Going 7 games while the Avs are healing and resting up is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I didn't see the whole game yesterday. Is Sutter actually line-matching now, or does he still think his 4th-line vs. McDavid / Drai / Kane is a good idea?

The Oilers were lucky in game four. It really should be a 2-2 series now, but the Hockey Gods are giving back for what they took away against Anaheim in 2017 and those three overtimes last season vs. Winnipeg. Eventually, the luck had to fall on Edmonton's side.

May it continue. Honestly, I think they need to win game five in Calgary. I have seen Oiler teams cough-up 3-1 leads before (1989; 1991) and it resulted in either series losses or game 7 overtimes, and my heart could not take either.

Also, let's face it: If the Oilers are going to have a hope in hell vs. Colorado (who seem about to clinch tonight), they need some rest. Going 7 games while the Avs are healing and resting up is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Seems like the bolded might be related. The only way they’re “lucky” is that the Flames had nothing going before and after the lob shot goal in the third. Oilers outchanced them and were rewarded with the win.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
The big white paywhale came up

Sorry yeah I should have mentioned that. The headline itself is lols worthy.

Basically everyone they interviewed in the first iteration of that article had Flames in 5 or 6 or something. Some embarrassing takes in that article such as “McDavid and Gaudreau a wash” and “Draisaitl and Tkachuk a wash”. This was an actual NHL (edit) scout as well. Team he scouts for would be ripe for fleecing.

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
A lot of people saying that was an ugly game by the Oilers yesterday, but that was resilience.

Calgary squirmed and pushed, they got their bounce, but the boys stuck with it.

I saw a team who finished every check, put bodies in front of pucks, and fought through and withstood a desperate team.

Gut check win.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
A lot of people saying that was an ugly game by the Oilers yesterday, but that was resilience.

Calgary squirmed and pushed, they got their bounce, but the boys stuck with it.

I saw a team who finished every check, put bodies in front of pucks, and fought through and withstood a desperate team.

Gut check win.
I can live with your take. They bent but they didn’t break.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 God and commie

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Just rewatched the game winning goal, who the hell is Kylington supposed to be covering? Isn’t he supposed to be as good as Duncan Keith in his prime?
He was the apparent Karlsson 2.0 ceiling in the making according to that flames fan clown in OKG.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton

So is McDavid and Gaudreau still a wash? :sarcasm:

Haven’t bothered reading it yet, but apparently some clown exec has said that McDavid might be “1A” if he’s not the best player in the world. Kyle Dubas?? Lmao

That’s straight up bulletin board material again, just no respect.

Basically: Flames not playing up to their standard and markstrom not playing to his veznia level. Calgary playing Edmontons style and they shouldn’t do that. One Exec thinks this is going to 7.

A few Oiler compliments. One person thinks it’s over in 5 or 6.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Basically: Flames not playing up to their standard and markstrom not playing to his veznia level. Calgary playing Edmontons style and they shouldn’t do that. One Exec thinks this is going to 7.

Yup, hope the boys see this. Basically these guys went from thinking it would be a sweep (more less) to now being forced to revise their views. Very little respect for the Oilers play, like you said, all what the Flames aren’t doing like the series outcome has been entirely up to them

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Just, no.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Blues tied and snuffed the glory from MacKinnon's hat trick (not) game winner (he scored with around 4 left just after the Blues tied 3-3) .... Going to OT.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
St. Louis won! May they go to game seven overtime and then go about six rounds of overtime with maximum attrition...

When I'm saying the Oilers were "lucky" to win game four, I'm aware that they had a few more high-quality chances and put in a good effort, but I'm specifically thinking of:
-- Markstrom gift for the 1-0
-- Deflection for the 3-0
-- Blown 3-0 lead to 3-3
-- Goalie lets in a 132-foot shot
-- Flames with more shots and more won face-offs

It was a pretty even game overall, but when you blow a 3-0 lead and your goalie lets in a 132-footer and you are out-shot, it's somewhat fortunate to win.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Oilers against the world. Especially Toronto media.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Not to look too far ahead....
But watching the avs blues series I'm not sure who we match up better against...
Kinda cheering for the blues here?

Reactions: gordonhught

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
They literally scored a goal gifted by the gods to tie it and then blew it again. So no.
Even with the Smith gaffe, Calgary spent the whole game playing from behind instead of trapping and capitalizing on neutral zone turnovers like they've done to opposing teams all year. So from their perspective, the Markstrom gaffe was the defining moment of the game for them.

They're rather slow defense and lack of overall talent throughout the roster gets exposed when they're the ones that have to attack other teams offensively.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Anyone else feel some sort of healing from this dub? We've been through so much crap as a fan base and seen so many epic collapses. Something special about them almost collapsing and having Nuge, who has been here through it all, clutch it out.

Probably the most cathartic win I've had as an Oiler fan (I became a fan in 06).
We went from typical Oilers travesty (132 footer) to something unexpectedly awesome in that Nuge clutch goal. Something special is brewing me thinks.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Lol okay Francis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad