Post-Game Talk: Oilers survive a scare, make up for Steve Smith 35 years ago

How surprised are you that the Oilers pulled it out tonight?

• Total voters

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If I had missed the 1st period and turned on the TV and listened to Simpson, Friedman, et all, I'd swear it was the Oilers that were down 3-0. Same thing after the 2nd. Wow, these guys don't even try to hide their bias.

Oilers learning to win ugly, when they don't have the A game going. I expect McDavid to go full nuclear on the Flames on Thursday. Just need Smitty and the defensive game to hold us in there till we get a footing.

Reactions: TB12

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If I had missed the 1st period and turned on the TV and listened to Simpson, Friedman, et all, I'd swear it was the Oilers that were down 3-0. Same thing after the 2nd. Wow, these guys don't even try to hide their bias.

Oilers learning to win ugly, when they don't have the A game going. I expect McDavid to go full nuclear on the Flames on Thursday. Just need Smitty and the defensive game to hold us in there till we get a footing.
Real time locker room convo between McDavid and Smith ...

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I always felt good teams find a way to win even if they have bad games.
While I don't think we had a bad game, we definitely had moments of being bad.

but! a win is a win is a win and we're up 3-1 so no complaints there.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Lol Eric Francis “flames feel a bad bounce cost them the game.”

Really?
It makes sense from their perspective. They spent most of the year scoring first, and led the league in wins when leading after the first period.

They've spent all year forcing other teams to play from behind, so the Markstrom goal basically screwed them.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
He looks like the old grumpy guys who sat in the box and heckled everyone.

flames coach.png

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't think they can buyout someone who ends the season on IR, or else that would be kind of sweet to watch him explode in a new town like Bennett.
They can buy him out, as far as I know, they just can't try to void his contract because he's hurt I think

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have a strong feeling we lose tomorrow, but close it out game 6 at home.
Not because of any doom or gloom, just I feel like Calgary has at least one good game in them.
Could be, they aren't without talent, but they look like they're chasing the game and it's showing on the ice.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Hopefully we end this series tomorrow.

We're the better team. No reason to play with our food and give them false hope.

Game 4 wasn't anywhere close to our best, McDavid was somewhat quiet for his transcendent standards, Smith gave up 2 bad goals and we still won. Just be merciless tomorrow and this one's done.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
I thought they said it was 0-9 down 3-1. I could be misremembering what they said on the broadcast lol
I just re-watched the game. That's what they said. 0-9 when down 3-1. Also, I really didn't see that much bias towards the flames. I thought for the most part they mentioned the play from both teams perspective. The only thing I really thought was missed was the call on the Gubrandson/McDavid trip/interference or whatever you want to call it. Simpson didn't even mention that it should have been called. He said it was puck battle but the puck was no-where near them! The rest of the game I thought was fairly un-biased. Even the panel wasn't too bad.

Reactions: bone

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
For me it's always been like that. I used to watch Oiler games regularly down at Mugs Pub (15th Ave. SW). Places didn't hesitate to put Oiler games on. BoAB games were easily 1/2 Oiler fans in their barn. Games against expansion/crap teams the Dome was so empty.

So many years of defeats (vs. Oiler dynasty) combined with a city full of rat-racing transplants (Sask, BC, Edmo, & Maritimes folks) and much less regional support.

I found it pretty rare to run into a born&bred Calgarian, even more rare that one of those is a hardcore Flames fan.

Maybe another 1/2 decade... if/when the Oil replace Smith and get a bona fide #1 I don't see the Flames core matching up well.

Sounds like it’s gotten even more fair weather since. I don’t know a lot of Flames fans personally, friend’s wife and uncle’s wife the primary ones (both from Calgary, one born there). Both wrote off the team in the offseason and didn’t buy into the hype as much until later. My uncle and his wife have two kids born in Calgary, they both hyped the team during the most recent finals run, the son basically doesn’t care anymore and the daughter is more of a fan of the local team in the US city she’s moved to for work some years back.

It can be seen when you’re out and around the province. More Oilers stuff around outside of Edmonton than Flames, by far.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Anyone else still feeling a bit nervous?

The Oilers need to close this shit out. Until then I can’t rest easy.

I’m hoping they close it out tomorrow (to avoid further injury) but it’s really hard to win 4 in a row in the playoffs, especially when they teams are (technically) fairly evenly matched.

As @Drivesaitl said, this was the game for the Flames to come in hot and heavy (they did for good parts of the game, even with their nightmare first shift), I’m sure they will tomorrow as well but sometimes going down 3-1 and in such a manner (getting hopes dashed after a gift to tie it up) takes it all out of you. There’s also a lot of posturing in the post games which is hiding some frustration IMO.

Oilers should plan to play their best instead of their B game like last night to give the Flames nothing.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
We just need to survive the first period tomorrow night. Keep the game close and we’ll be one goal away from winning the series.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We just need to survive the first period tomorrow night. Keep the game close and we’ll be one goal away from winning the series.
I don't know that I'm worried about the first. We had complete control yesterday after the first and then let them back in. Come out strong and continue strong. Put pucks on Markstrom and keep making those d-men looking like pylons

Reactions: Mav3rick07

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Honestly we have come back from multi goal deficits a few times now. Would prefer to be up, of course, but a goal or two down after 1 is not the death sentence it used to be.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad