News Article: Oilers sign Gambardella

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
There's truth to it.

We're a more desirable organisation now with Chiarelli, McDavid, McLellan, and the arena. I'm not sure if we're targeting more free agents, but I wouldn't be surprised if the organisation has placed greater emphasis on college signings since Chiarelli was very active with them during his time with the Bruins.

cheap young bottom 6 acquisitions beat overpaid 34 year old free agents in my books. keep it coming Chia

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
You guys are getting a hell of a kid, I have been friends with Rob (his older brother) since 10 years old. He comes from a grade A+ family as he still lives around the block from my house. His game has really grown over the past 2 seasons and given time should be ale to crack the bottom 6 of your team. Weird feeling when someone you grow up has a little brother that just got signed to a team that has the best young player in the world and for the next 15-20 years. Not many people from SI have ever made it to the NHL. I can count 2, Joe would be 3. One of them is playing my team right now, Kevin LaBanc on the Sharks. Congrats Oilers fan, now I have a potential 3rd reason to watch as much Oilers games now as I have been doing. The other 2 of course is Prince Cam and McDavid.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Excellent signing. By all accounts a great hockey player and great teammate. Awesome.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
So far our college signings while Chia has been GM have been almost universally good. I have faith that this will be another good signing that will help the club sooner than later.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
2016/17 Season Highlights video for Joey Gambardella.

Here is a link to the video.

Edmonton Prospect Watch

I posted this in the other thread, but might as well post it here, too.

Nice vid on Gambardella. From what I can tell, he has good speed (not super fast, but definitely not slow -- probably above average, which is fine), has a very good shot, very nice hands in close (and soft hands in general), and has good vision with the ability to make some very nice plays/passes. Certainly seems to have top-9 potential, and is a natural center, which is nice. We definitely need more center prospects, as Rasanen is our only high quality center prospect who has a good chance to make it to the NHL as a 3rd or 4th line C, IMO. I would definitely lump Gambardella in with Rasanen in terms of having good NHL potential. 3rd line C is going to be a position we're going to need a long-term solution for, and at least we have a couple good prospects now, with hopefully one of them being the answer (or possibly whomever we get in the first or second round in the draft this year, or possibly a UFA signing as a short-term answer).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not sure about the good shot part. He seems to have an accurate shot but not an over powering one. Looks like a solid prospect.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
His shot can be very deceptive. 2 years ago, I would have said he would have never received a contract from an NHL team. He has lots and lots of will, if he continues his progress and takes steps, he can def be a good 3rd liner and a top notch PKer. Your team has the high end talent, they are starting to provide depth now and for the future. Just gotta keep improving that defense. Im predicting Edmonton will have a cup within 7 years. The key to all this is scary allocation and Connor's next contract and if he doesn't mind taking a little bit less so that your GM can provide top notch help around him. Now he can focus on Defense the next few years. Thanks for taking out the Kings last night :).

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Can we trade Jack Michaels for this announcer?

if you're talking about the lowell radio guy... bob can't go a game and a half without saying something questionable... though probably the worst was intimating that UNH fans live in wheeled houses... he's a hell of a character though... he's been broadcasting for us as long as I've been alive (I'm 35) and the only man i know to rock a purple sport coat. Also happens to be a habs fan...

---

the highlight reel didn't show some of gambardella's more effort plays... you can imagine a guy who works real hard like him is incredibly active along the boards.... those don't always result in goals but he's more than ready to go in and work. Next year may be the first year in like 10 years we won't have a player like him which is disappointing. I see either a prolific AHL career or a servicable NHL career for him. He'll stay in hockey as long as he wants and as long as his body holds with that kind of ethic.

Keep in mind, my vision on players is pretty bad... i just really like the sport.

---

As much as some of you slag Lambert he's a super-fan of hockey so he knows his stuff. However, some of the other things... yeah, troll extraordinaire. I just think he's found his niche though his adoption of metrics I find humorous. To that end, Lambert also went to UMass Lowell so read into it what you will. I think he's more likely to talk about our guys but I think he's being honest about them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just based off those highlights this kid looks like a solid player. Looks very strong on his skates, decent to above average skater, looks like he has solid vision and is able to pick corners with his shot. Also looks like he works his butt off and goes to the dirty areas. Can't tell from the clip how physical he is, but looks to me like he might have enough offence and tenacity to be a 3rd line centre down the road.

Does anyone know how his contracts working? Does it kick in next year with an ATO for the remainder of this year (aka is he joining Bakersfield?).

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Just based off those highlights this kid looks like a solid player. Looks very strong on his skates, decent to above average skater, looks like he has solid vision and is able to pick corners with his shot. Also looks like he works his butt off and goes to the dirty areas. Can't tell from the clip how physical he is, but looks to me like he might have enough offence and tenacity to be a 3rd line centre down the road.

Does anyone know how his contracts working? Does it kick in next year with an ATO for the remainder of this year (aka is he joining Bakersfield?).

https://www.nhl.com/news/future-watch-gambardella-signing-sinking-in/c-288231794

I had been wondering the same thing, the Oilers just posted this article on him and it finishes by saying that he'll be heading to Bakersfield this weekend. His actual contract kicks in next year, so I'd imagine he's signing either an ATO or PTO for the remainder of the Condors season.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Chiarelli is doing a pretty good job, it looks to me like he is putting us in a position where we'll be okay regardless of what happens at the expansion draft.

If we lose Pouliot, I'm not complaining. That's $4mil off the cap, and I think Caggiula can step into 3LW as early as next year if need be. He's shown flashes playing with higher skill, and if a Maroon/Lucic is injured I think he can step up there too.

In the unlikely event Kassian is unprotected, we have Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, Pitlick, and Pakarinen vying for minutes.

Khaira & Reinhart are also possible targets for Vegas. We are deep on LHD, and while I won't count on Gambardella to step into 3C on day 1, at minimum he'd be a solid 4LW if Khaira is gone in my opinion.

If Letestu is taken, Gambardella & Khaira are solid bets for 4C.

Here's hoping Chia can figure out 3C and 2RD, as I'm not sold on Desharnais & Russell as long term options.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chiarelli is doing a pretty good job, it looks to me like he is putting us in a position where we'll be okay regardless of what happens at the expansion draft.

If we lose Pouliot, I'm not complaining. That's $4mil off the cap, and I think Caggiula can step into 3LW as early as next year if need be. He's shown flashes playing with higher skill, and if a Maroon/Lucic is injured I think he can step up there too.

In the unlikely event Kassian is unprotected, we have Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, Pitlick, and Pakarinen vying for minutes.

Khaira & Reinhart are also possible targets for Vegas. We are deep on LHD, and while I won't count on Gambardella to step into 3C on day 1, at minimum he'd be a solid 4LW if Khaira is gone in my opinion.

Here's hoping Chia can figure out 3C and 2RD, as I'm not sold on Desharnais & Russell as long term options.

Solid 1st post, welcome to HFOil! :handclap:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I agree he's done a great job. Just looking at the depth chart going forward by 2018/19 with players who should be in the AHL/available to play in the NHL.

LEFT WING
Maroon
Lucic
Caggiula
Pouliot (maybe?)
Khaira (LW/C)
Benson
Laleggia

CENTER
McDavid
Draisaitl (RW/C)
Nuge
Desharnais (maybe?)
Letestu
Gambardella

RIGHT WING
Eberle
Puljujarvi
Kassian
Slepyshev
Pitlick (maybe?)
Pakarinen (maybe?)

LEFT D
Klefbom
Sekera
Nurse
Reinhart
Oesterle (maybe?)
Caleb Jones
Ziyat Paigin (maybe?)
Dillon Simpson

RIGHT D
Larsson
Benning
Russell (maybe?)
Ethan Bear
Ryan Mantha

GOALIE
Talbot
Brossoit
Nick Ellis
Dylan Wells
Miroslav Svoboda (maybe?)

Obviously we'll lose one of these players and likely have to move out some guys like Eberle and RNH in the future to make cap room, and we still ideally need another RHD until something in the system develops, but man do I ever love the growing depth in this organization.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
By then our AHL defensive depth will be pretty impressive.

For 2017-18, it may look like:
Simpson/? (I'm predicting a F/A signing, or a trade) Fayne is probably bought out, and it would be nice to have a veteran presence in his absence.
Paigan/Bear
Jones/Mantha

I'm thinking that if Reinhart survives the draft, he'll be our 7D. Both Oesterle & Reinhart are good players, and could possibly be #6's on other teams depth charts (Oesterle at least). Have to think Oesterle jumps ship, as he isn't leapfrogging Nurse for an NHL job and has lower priority than Reinhart for future call-ups.

Another story is our RW cluster****.
Slepyshev is expendable if...
  • Pitlick shows up to camp 100%. For a bottom 6 role, I think Pitlick is a stellar option.
  • We sign Spencer Foo. This is a NCAA free agent who posted a very strong junior season. Edmonton is one of the likely suitors. Signing Foo gives us insurance in case Pitlick gets injured yet again.

I'd hate to lose Slepyshev, because I think he has top 6 potential on either LW or RW. It would also be great to see what he's like after another off-season of training. However, we could probably solve our 2RD problem by including him in a package deal.

Or even something like Slepyshev + 5th round pick for Brandon Montour. Anaheim likely loses Silfverberg due to expansion, while also being deep on RD. Montour was dominant in the AHL, most shots this year (or maybe last year) and also the PP QB for his team. He's someone that would really push Benning.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
By then our AHL defensive depth will be pretty impressive.

For 2017-18, it may look like:
Simpson/?

We should be getting all of Jones, Mantha and Bear in the AHL for 2017-18, and possibly Paigin if he decides to come over. They'll lean on Simpson as the vet there and he may be first call-up if the young guys struggle their first year. I hope they can get Oesterle to re-sign as I think he'd be a perfect #7/depth call up or at worst he'll be top pair in the AHL as he's an elite D at that level. Will be interesting to see if Reinhart gets taken in expansion or if he makes the club next year. I'd assume he'd take the #7 spot at worst since he needs to clear waivers and likely wouldn't clear.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
We should be getting all of Jones, Mantha and Bear in the AHL for 2017-18, and possibly Paigin if he decides to come over. They'll lean on Simpson as the vet there and he may be first call-up if the young guys struggle their first year. I hope they can get Oesterle to re-sign as I think he'd be a perfect #7/depth call up or at worst he'll be top pair in the AHL as he's an elite D at that level. Will be interesting to see if Reinhart gets taken in expansion or if he makes the club next year. I'd assume he'd take the #7 spot at worst since he needs to clear waivers and likely wouldn't clear.

Ha accidentally submitted my post before it was ready. But yeah your bit about Reinhart reinforces why I see him as our #7 next season, if he's still here of course. As for Paigan, I don't know if he will come to NA or not, but he hasn't been getting a lot of ice time this year.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ha accidentally submitted my post before it was ready. But yeah your bit about Reinhart reinforces why I see him as our #7 next season, if he's still here of course. As for Paigan, I don't know if he will come to NA or not, but he hasn't been getting a lot of ice time this year.

So it's probably in his AND our best interests that he does come over, I guess?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad