News Article: Oilers sign Gambardella

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hard to take that guy seriously. He looks at a couple stats and has hot takes. Symptom of guys who want to be noticed in the hockey blogging community.

Must kill Lambert that he signed with the Oilers, not many positive things come from him when it's about the Oil.

LOL, pretty negative guy overall. Tough to see which team he even likes. Although pretty weird a NY born and raised kid signs in Edmonton. Not saying we are a great team or anything, but our depth at forward is starting to pile up. Lander had to sign in KHL, Khaira is struggling to find minutes, Cagguil has grabbed a spot and even Pitlick is going to limit room here.

So im surprised he didnt sign in NJ or even Boston because those teams have similar or worse depth at forward than us and much closer to home. Good to see the McDavid effect is still working

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
LOL, pretty negative guy overall. Tough to see which team he even likes. Although pretty weird a NY born and raised kid signs in Edmonton. Not saying we are a great team or anything, but our depth at forward is starting to pile up. Lander had to sign in KHL, Khaira is struggling to find minutes, Cagguil has grabbed a spot and even Pitlick is going to limit room here.

So im surprised he didnt sign in NJ or even Boston because those teams have similar or worse depth at forward than us and much closer to home. Good to see the McDavid effect is still working

With what I'm reading in this thread, Gambardella does what all of our "struggling" prospects do, plus puts up points on top of it, and isn't a smurf. Doesn't surprise me too much that this kid believes that he can outplay our current guys and make his way to playing with the new generational talent!

Thank you McDavid.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton

It's great for us too because we were looking pretty mediocre when it came to forward prospect depth. These college signings are a godsend if they can pan out.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Out of curiosity. It seems we have been signing more college players since Chiarelli. I don't have the numbers but is there any truth to that?

Not necessarily the truth (they would sign college players under the old regime--Schultz, Miller, and Arcobello are some of the names that comes to mind, I am sure there were more). It just seems they now have better scouting and sign better players.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
Not necessarily the truth (they would sign college players under the old regime--Schultz is one name that comes to mind, I am sure there were more). It just seems they now have better scouting and sign better players.

That's why I'm asking. Schultz and Oesterle are the two I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure where to look at year-to-year college signings by team.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
That's why I'm asking. Schultz and Oesterle are the two I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure where to look at year-to-year college signings by team.

I updated the other reply. Arcobello and Miller were 2 other recent signings.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
who cares about another magic bean....has the game started yet? If you think way back without running to the stats page a lot of the same was said about Chris VandeVelde

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
who cares about another magic bean....has the game started yet? If you think way back without running to the stats page a lot of the same was said about Chris VandeVelde

It opens up a lot of options for us going forward, after the playoffs. Maybe now we're more comfortable with trading our 1st. Looking longer term, if one or two of these magic beans pan out and become important to our cap situation.

But for sure, there are tons of things our fans think we want but right now they are all just theories. We don't know who we even want to put up for trade, or if we even want to make a trade.

A lot will be decided by how the team does in the playoffs. This counts more than what our regular season needs have been imo.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Well he has over 270 NHL games under his belt, so if that's what we get, it's not a bad signing. Gamberdella has slightly better numbers though.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Maybe the thought of playing on a team with McDavid excited him. We also lack organizational depth at the pro rank at C.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

CVV would be a pretty solid outcome. Guy has played in 270+ NHL games. Magic beans are pretty smart to collect. I mean look at Matt Benning thread last year when signed, completely unheralded prospect to regular top 6 player (and an important one) in on season

Gambardella could be an important 3rd liner in the future, or could be a top 6 player in DEL, or could be brekaing knee caps for the mob in 2 years. Who knows. Better to have em

Bozak was a no namer in NCAA, 505 games later and 305 points later hes a pretty incredible pick. 1% chance this guy turns out as such. But for a team not exactly flush in forward prospects id say doesnt hurt to add him. Watch him and JP fit together like glue

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK

You mean the same Chris VandeVelde who's at 272 NHL games played and counting? Yeah, the heck with that kind of guy.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Also, fyi....

Gambardella won the Walter Brown. The Walter Brown award is awarded to the best american born hockey player in New England. Formerly won by non other than Johnny Gaudreau.

ix3tCY2.jpg

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Also, fyi....

Gambardella won the Walter Brown. The Walter Brown award is awarded to the best american born hockey player in New England. Formerly won by non other than Johnny Gaudreau.

ix3tCY2.jpg

Why does the lil Johny always have a martyr's face?:laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Also, fyi....

ix3tCY2.jpg

This award has some pretty crazy winner and he won it over some very, very, very legit top end talent

if award mean anything, this dude is on track to win an art ross trophy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How similar is this guy from Caggiula? Same height, near identical stat lines for NCAA, same weird Italian name?

If he turns out like Caggiulla did, it's a huge win. Sounds like he'll be able to chip in with offense like Caggiula does, but maybe plays a grittier grinder type game.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
How similar is this guy from Caggiula? Same height, near identical stat lines for NCAA, same weird Italian name?

If he turns out like Caggiulla did, it's a huge win. Sounds like he'll be able to chip in with offense like Caggiula does, but maybe plays a grittier grinder type game.

Ha We lost a couple of Italians in Pisani and Cogliano but got them right back:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad