News Article: Oilers sign Gambardella

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Out of curiosity. It seems we have been signing more college players since Chiarelli. I don't have the numbers but is there any truth to that?

Cagguila, Benning, Ellis, patrick Russell last year. 3 of them doing very good, russell is doing OK in rookie year

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
My first thought was definitely "that name sounds super fake".

That said, I'm always a fan of NCAA signings and he definitely sounds like his skillset could work well for us. Thanks for all the quotes guys.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I didn't realize to win Walter Brown trophy for best player in New England he beat out Keller, McAvoy, take Thompson and Colin white. That's awesome! Gaudreau won that award as did vesey

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Ryan Lambert really likes him (Yahoo Sports).

Called him one of the best two-way players in the country, a great forechecker, and a "Sedin-like ability to keep the puck in the O zone".

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really liking what I'm hearing. Considering he had multiple offers from the NHL already last year I'm sure he had a bunch of them this year too. I wonder if him seeing how much playing time Caggiula and Benning has gotten this year made him choose the Oilers. The guy is from NY, his favorite team is the Rangers and he had offers from both them and Isles last year so, if they gave him offers this year too it's pretty cool of him to choose the Oilers over the teams close to his home. Chiarelli is doing a good job.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
Ryan Lambert really likes him (Yahoo Sports).

Called him one of the best two-way players in the country, a great forechecker, and a "Sedin-like ability to keep the puck in the O zone".

Hard to take that guy seriously. He looks at a couple stats and has hot takes. Symptom of guys who want to be noticed in the hockey blogging community.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I'd like to see him have some success, if for no reason other than having a guy we can call Gamblor to talk about.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hard to take that guy seriously. He looks at a couple stats and has hot takes. Symptom of guys who want to be noticed in the hockey blogging community.

Loud mouth on twitter forsure but one of the most informed NCAA guys there is. Goes to a ton of games and pretty accurate in assessments. He was not nearly as high on vesey as the rest of public was. IIRC hes pretty much bang on for his prediction of Vesey in his rookie year (tweeted about it awhile ao, too lazy to find accurate predication but didnt buy into hype Vesey would score 25/30 goals). So I take his NCAA player evaluations with pretty high regard

This is certainly the case whenever someone like Jimmy Vesey comes along. People who have never seen him play a game assume that just because he’s a highly sought-after free agent, he will soon become one of, say, the 100 best forwards in the league. The reality is quite different of course. As I’ve said before, Vesey is a guy I’ve seen a bunch of times over his last few years at Harvard, and while I think he’s pretty good, the hype train here is getting out of control. The teams rumored to be targeting him may not be able to reasonably justify actually using him in their top-six in part because a lot of those teams are pretty deep up front (Chicago, Boston, New York, and even Buffalo), or at least deep enough that a guy like Vesey isn’t a guaranteed second-line forward.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/what-we-learned-a-statistical-look-at-jimmy-vesey-140622045.html

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
"“Goals and assists aren’t the only things that people look at at the end of the day,†Gambardella said. “There are some things that don’t show up on the scoresheet that coaches look at and that contribute to team wins. For me, I don’t care if I don’t get a goal or an assist. I’m just trying to do everything I can to contribute to the team win.â€

Whether Gambardella scores or not, he’s still the heart and of the team.

"I think he made a step, he's had a better season,†head coach Norm Bazin said. “I think he continues to improve. Goal totals don't mean much to me. That's why I was surprised you said 14, because I had no idea how much he had last year. He chips in, he's good both sides of the puck, and obviously he's one of our better forecheckers.""
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2016/03/27_lowells_heart_and_soul.php

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
My instant reaction upon reading the thread title was to laugh. Seconds later my thought produced "wait a minute that's probably a real person"

Now I'm intrigued.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

He`s taken a lot more seriously than you, I`d bet.

ryan lambert‏ @twolinepass 2h2 hours ago

fwiw i had gambardella, a center playing the toughest competition, at appx. +2.9% CF, +3 FF%, +1.6 SF%, +1.7 HQF%, +19.2% GF% at 5v5 this yr

ryan lambert Retweeted Frank Seravalli

this kid's a player.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
If going by how much his last name is a hockey last name, he's going to bust pretty hard

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton

fwiw i had gambardella, a center playing the toughest competition, at appx. +2.9% CF, +3 FF%, +1.6 SF%, +1.7 HQF%, +19.2% GF% at 5v5 this yr

this kid's a player.

I'm not a professional hockey blogger that has built a career upon hot takes so I don't really need to worry about being taken seriously in the hockey blogging world. He's a professional troll that quotes stats. There are a lot of stats guys I respect the opinion of but he is not one of them and I'm not going to be giving him clicks.

I hope he's good but I would like to actually see him play before I confirm he's, in fact, a player.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not a professional hockey blogger that has built a career upon hot takes so I don't really need to worry about being taken seriously in the hockey blogging world. He's a professional troll that quotes stats. There are a lot of stats guys I respect the opinion of but he is not one of them and I'm not going to be giving him clicks.

I hope he's good but I would like to actually see him play before I confirm he's, in fact, a player.
That is a given but you don't need to discredit a blogger especially since you have no idea about the player. He has won some attention and accolades playing college hockey so there is really no need to spin it negatively, is there?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

this kid's a player.

Tell us his faceoffs%.. Thats all I want to know if the guy is indeed a C

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
That is a given but you don't need to discredit a blogger especially since you have no idea about the player. He has won some attention and accolades playing college hockey so there is really no need to spin it negatively, is there?

I did not attempt to spin in negatively. I was simply stating that the individual quoted is one of those individuals I would not take seriously for his analysis. It had little to do with the player and more to do with the indivdual stating it. Maybe the blogger in question has improved but I've been avoiding him for at least a year at this point. That's my fault and I'll keep it on topic from here on out.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
My instant reaction upon reading the thread title was to laugh. Seconds later my thought produced "wait a minute that's probably a real person"

Now I'm intrigued.

Hahaha, glad I'm not alone. I was starting to worry...

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Loud mouth on twitter forsure but one of the most informed NCAA guys there is. Goes to a ton of games and pretty accurate in assessments. He was not nearly as high on vesey as the rest of public was. IIRC hes pretty much bang on for his prediction of Vesey in his rookie year (tweeted about it awhile ao, too lazy to find accurate predication but didnt buy into hype Vesey would score 25/30 goals). So I take his NCAA player evaluations with pretty high regard

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/what-we-learned-a-statistical-look-at-jimmy-vesey-140622045.html

Must kill Lambert that he signed with the Oilers, not many positive things come from him when it's about the Oil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad