News Article: Oilers sign Gambardella

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I know him personally, my brother played hockey with his older brother and our families became pretty close over the years.

Joseph is Ryan Callahan esque

Oilers are instantly my second favorite team now :)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Top Scorer on UMass-Lowell(11th in the NCAA). Was given the Walter Brown award as the top American Born div 1 player this year. Also has won the Hockey East Sportsmanship award the last 2 years.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Gambardella is 5'10" and 200 lbs, which means he's stocky.

His linemate:

"We get pucks in the corners. If you’ve ever watched Joe play, he’s always first in there and I don’t think the kid has ever lost a battle. I know he’s going to come out with the puck. I have a lot of trust in him. He knows where I’m going to end up being. It works well together," Smith continued.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Junior defenseman Tyler Mueller knows how hard is to battle Gambardella. He does it all the time in practice -- and Gambardella plays all-out even in practice.

"He has a special talent for hounding pucks. You can see that during games. If he gets to 100 points this weekend obviously that's a phenomenal accomplishment. Not many guys can do that," Mueller said.

http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_30642404/gambardella-one-point-from-no-100

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
"He has become one of the elite offensive threats in Hockey East due to his work ethic and persistence. He is a true example of what a student-athlete should stand for on and off the ice. He is very deserving of this award."

In the final voting, Gambardella won by a slight margin over Northeastern senior forward Zach Aston-Reese, also of Staten Island, and New Hampshire senior forward Tyler Kelleher of Longmeadow, Mass.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/03/22_Lowells-Gambardella-Wins.php

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Looks like a good signing. Sounds like a stocky spark plug type of player.

Rough go for Evan Campbell though. He was looking like a decent prospect a couple seasons ago, but has **** the bed since then. Now he has to watch his (much better) teammate sign a contract with the Oilers while he won't have one offered to him.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Seems to ooze character.

----------------

"It definitely stings really bad right now," said Gambardella, UMass Lowell's leading scorer with 52 points (18 goals). "I'm still pretty speechless. Honestly, it's very sour. It's very fresh and it's going to be for the next few weeks and months. It doesn't feel good at all.

"But I'm extremely proud of everyone in that locker room. There's not a thing I would have changed -- minus today -- with my entire time here. We didn't get that bounce at the end. But I'm extremely proud of not only the season we had, but the four years. The coaching staff, and all the people who were apart of it, helped make these the best four years of my life."

"I couldn't be happier or prouder that the coaching staff brought me in," said Gambardella. "I can't thank them enough, not only for the player they made me, but the person that they made me off the ice. I'll be forever thankful. It's tough to say now, but I'm a proud alumni."

https://www.uml.edu/News/news-articles/2017/sun-hockey-seniors.aspx

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So this guy is going to step right into the NHL from day 1? or were we just blessed with Benning and Cagguila?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
He seems to have some Ryan Smyth in him: grind as hard as possible along the boards, plant in front of the goalie as hard as possible, drive the net as hard as possible, and generally try as hard as possible.

Apparently he's been playing centre for the past season or two. I'm guessing that he's been earmarked as a potential bottom six left winger or centre.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
Out of curiosity. It seems we have been signing more college players since Chiarelli. I don't have the numbers but is there any truth to that?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Out of curiosity. It seems we have been signing more college players since Chiarelli. I don't have the numbers but is there any truth to that?
There's truth to it.

We're a more desirable organisation now with Chiarelli, McDavid, McLellan, and the arena. I'm not sure if we're targeting more free agents, but I wouldn't be surprised if the organisation has placed greater emphasis on college signings since Chiarelli was very active with them during his time with the Bruins.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So this guy is going to step right into the NHL from day 1? or were we just blessed with Benning and Cagguila?

I'm also wondering about this. Aston-Reece is doing well for the Pens AHL affiliate so I'm guessing he'll get his shot soon so I'm wondering if the same will apply to Gambardella. At the very least, he should aid Bakersfield's playoff push.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad