Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign FA Drake Caggiula

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Any chance he plays with McDavid this year? Thinking about picking him up in fantasy

Next to zero unless its because of a lien shake up for 1 game

hes playing center on a bottom 6 line and if he goes to LW hes behind Lucic/Maroon and even Pouliot

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

hes playing center on a bottom 6 line and if he goes to LW hes behind Lucic/Maroon and even Pouliot
McDavid's wingers have never really grabbed those spots so far. There's been lots of turnover there already, and if a guy like Pitlick can get a serious look in that spot, then Caggiula definitely could. Preseason isn't everything, but Caggiula showed a lot of offensive skills in that time. He's on the 4th line now but part of what made him an exciting prospect signing was that his ceiling is not known, and could be very high.

So far, he's getting more points than he should as a 4th liner. To me, he will be a top nine player. That is, a very good third liner who will play in the top six often.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
McDavid's wingers have never really grabbed those spots so far. There's been lots of turnover there already, and if a guy like Pitlick can get a serious look in that spot, then Caggiula definitely could. Preseason isn't everything, but Caggiula showed a lot of offensive skills in that time. He's on the 4th line now but part of what made him an exciting prospect signing was that his ceiling is not known, and could be very high.

So far, he's getting more points than he should as a 4th liner. To me, he will be a top nine player. That is, a very good third liner who will play in the top six often.

Thats true I guess. But they are still desperately trying to make Lucic and McDavid a thing. Maroon is next in line to get that chance. Pouliot has already shown chemistry with McDavid and if he rebounds hes 3rd up.

Not to mention they are rolling with Puljujarvi as his RW, I dont now if TM rolls with 2 rookie wingers on his line.

Cagguila could get some minutes with him but I doubt he is a constant line mate

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Yeh kinda like Puljujarvi and Maroon :)

Lucic is struggling.. Pouliot is in the pressbox and Maroon isnt much of a top 6 player.
Caggiula could see himself on McDavids line at some point of the season especially if he keeps putting up points while being responsible defensively.

Personally I would like to see a line of Slepychev-Caggiula-Pitlick and have 0 doubts that it would outperform the 18M line of Lucic-RNH-Eberle.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don't know a lot about this so can someone please explain this to me? There seems to be a LOT of CHL players in the CIS (CCAA).

What would stop former CHL players from just going the Canadian college route? I mean it's not like it's privatized. It would be largely meritocratic. They would already need a high school diploma. It would give a HUGE Boost to the Canadian programs.

Not to mention, most CHL players are Canadian anyways.

Could this move legitimize the Canadian University/College route? maybe even get some players drafted or signed from there?

American hockey schools are mostly top end academic institutions as well. If you are a half decent scholar and an excellent hockey player why wouldn't you also want, i) to play in the better scouted, arguably better quality league and ii) learn at a top school for free

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeh kinda like Puljujarvi and Maroon :)

Lucic is struggling.. Pouliot is in the pressbox and Maroon isnt much of a top 6 player.
Caggiula could see himself on McDavids line at some point of the season especially if he keeps putting up points while being responsible defensively.

Personally I would like to see a line of Slepychev-Caggiula-Pitlick and have 0 doubts that it would outperform the 18M line of Lucic-RNH-Eberle.

They are doing their damnest to turn Cagguila into a 3c. It would be interesting if they ended that experiment AND ended the Lucic/Maroon experiment. Not saying thatd be bad, just thinking TM is a stick in the mud at times when it comes to making a line happen. Took them 15 games to take Eberle off McDavids wing when it was apparant it wouldnt work from Game 3

With that being said, Cagguila is actually a pretty solid linemate for McDavid and could work well with him and JP as well. Cagguila is quick and smart. Hes also defensive reliable and will battle inthe corners.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
American hockey schools are mostly top end academic institutions as well. If you are a half decent scholar and an excellent hockey player why wouldn't you also want, i) to play in the better scouted, arguably better quality league and ii) learn at a top school for free

Also: American college experience >> Canadian college experience. For a 20 year old guy I think that has some pull haha

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Is this turning into a thread where we run down Canadian Post secondary institutions? Fun

They aren't running them down. It's the truth. CIS hockey is a joke. I studied at University of Toronto and even if ranks just inside the top 20 worldwide due to research.

Canada doesn't have any real notable undergraduate programs aside from some business schools and nursing.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
They aren't running them down. It's the truth. CIS hockey is a joke. I studied at University of Toronto and even if ranks just inside the top 20 worldwide due to research.

Canada doesn't have any real notable undergraduate programs aside from some business schools and nursing.

I wouldnt say CIS Hockey is a joke at all. The level of hockey is very good and id wager actually on par with the average NCAA div 1 program (the good CIS teams that is). The teams are made up of top CHL players who didnt want to ride the bus in ECHL or AHL or play in german 2nd league.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
They are doing their damnest to turn Cagguila into a 3c. It would be interesting if they ended that experiment AND ended the Lucic/Maroon experiment. Not saying thatd be bad, just thinking TM is a stick in the mud at times when it comes to making a line happen. Took them 15 games to take Eberle off McDavids wing when it was apparant it wouldnt work from Game 3

With that being said, Cagguila is actually a pretty solid linemate for McDavid and could work well with him and JP as well. Cagguila is quick and smart. Hes also defensive reliable and will battle inthe corners.

Yeh McLellan is slow but he eventually makes the right move.
Slepy and Puljujarvi are finally getting some love... Maroon and Pitlick were promoted earlier.
demotion of Hall last year and Eberle + Lucic this year.
Pouliot scratching

Caggiula will eventually get a run on the top line if he keeps it up.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldnt say CIS Hockey is a joke at all. The level of hockey is very good and id wager actually on par with the average NCAA div 1 program (the good CIS teams that is). The teams are made up of top CHL players who didnt want to ride the bus in ECHL or AHL or play in german 2nd league.

Thats a bit of a stretch. The good NCAA teams are better than the good CIS teams no doubt. And they are hardly made up of "top CHL players". The majority of CIS players are mediocre ex CHLers and some junior A players.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Thats a bit of a stretch. The good NCAA teams are better than the good CIS teams no doubt. And they are hardly made up of "top CHL players". The majority of CIS players are mediocre ex CHLers and some junior A players.

Maybe the average CIS team is. Golden Bears have typically been made up of some of the better CHL players. These were guys that were top 5 on their team in scoring or importance. Either they were too small to be drafted or emerged later in CHL career. They could go pro and have a journey man career but getting education/stability is more important

Take a look at some old bears squads:
2013-14
Ringrose- 3rd on scoring on Tigers
Hickmott- 3rd on scoring for Oil Kings
Brent Ferguson- 5th in scoring on Rebels
Johnny Lazo- 4th on scoring on Tri City- 39 goals- ECHL now. One of best CIS players ive ever seen
Levko Koper- 82 points, 32 goals and one of top Chiefs players- AHL now
Kruise Reddick- 3rd on scoring for Tri city
TJ Foster- 4th on scoring for championship Oil kings- ECHL/AHL now
Jesse Craig- 37 points for a D- 5th on team in scoring

Etc etc. Bears have some of the top talent from many WHL teams- just not the stars and not the drafted players. I actually think itd be cool to see a top prospect go to the CIS for a year as they competition is older than NCAA and they play tight system play. If they could get a handle on those systems at 18 years old theyd have a massive leg up on other guys their age.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe the average CIS team is. Golden Bears have typically been made up of some of the better CHL players. These were guys that were top 5 on their team in scoring or importance. Either they were too small to be drafted or emerged later in CHL career. They could go pro and have a journey man career but getting education/stability is more important

2013-14
Johnny Lazo- 4th on scoring on Tri City- 39 goals- ECHL now. One of best CIS players ive ever seen

Etc etc. Bears have some of the top talent from many WHL teams- just not the stars and not the drafted players. I actually think itd be cool to see a top prospect go to the CIS for a year as they competition is older than NCAA and they play tight system play. If they could get a handle on those systems at 18 years old theyd have a massive leg up on other guys their age.
Koper, if IIRC had NHL quality speed. That guy could fly.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Koper, if IIRC had NHL quality speed. That guy could fly.

Koper was amazing to watch and best hair/style in the league. He terrorised Oilers rookies in the rookie camp game. Kind of wanted Oilers to bring him in on a try out. He was a buzz saw that could hit but score some nice ones too

Actually not to dissimilar from Cagguila :laugh:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
This guy has impressed me since preseason.

I'll admit I didn't expect much from him; I felt he was going to be a good AHLer/fringe NHLer ala Arcobello but he has been amazing for his age/experience.

Like another poster said, I hope he becomes our version of prime Kris Versteeg to provide that key secondary scoring

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
CIS players have been playing hockey their entire lives but aren't talented enough to play in a good league. They're better than the average person but nothing special. Anyone who plays hockey for 15-20 years should be able to reach that level.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

2013-14

There are definitely a few good CIS programs. Golden Bears being far and away the best. It's nothing compared D1 though, which is what I meant.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
CIS players have been playing hockey their entire lives but aren't talented enough to play in a good league. They're better than the average person but nothing special. Anyone who plays hockey for 15-20 years should be able to reach that level.

Man I wish that was true. I played for 16 years including high level midget and some junior and I wouldnt even be close to making even a bad cis team. Even NAIT is a solid team

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
A lot of the really stupid **** I read on this forum is starting to make perfect sense now that I've read the last several posts of this thread.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Decent game from him.. had a nice hit as well but his point streak comes to an end

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Bumped up to the 3rd line on Drai's left wing. Much better position for him IMO, Pouliot, Drai, Caggiulla could be a nice quick skilled line.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

This is completely false!! The USA's advantage is at the graduate level. Canadian schools have superb undergrad programs with many that rival the best in the world.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad