Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign FA Drake Caggiula

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
You want the privilege of playing in the NHL, you go through the draft like everyone else. You sign a entry level deal like everyone else and you earn you right to be a unristricted free agent.

My 2....5 cents.

I disagree. I am all in favour of players using every tool they are given under the CBA.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I disagree. I am all in favour of players using every tool they are given under the CBA.

If i was a player, might as well do it. Its up to the NHL to close the loop hole though. They should definitely do it too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
They need to nix that loophole in a big way.

They really dont. Its not a loophole. NCAA players have to wait until 22 or 23, sacrificing millions of dollars to reach UFA. And so few have ever done it.

The problem in all this is the NCAA. Its their rule about no pro contracts that is creating all of this. Players want the education if hockey doesnt pan out (as it doesnt for 80% of them) and teams want the player signed to deal. But NCAA is a stick in the mud in all of this

The simple and easiest solution is to allow pro contracts to be given to NCAA players but allow them to stay in school until they are done. Maybe the NHL teams pay for the tution. Player gets their education, team gets satisfaction of knowing they have a signed player under contract when they leave school

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
They really dont. Its not a loophole. NCAA players have to wait until 22 or 23, sacrificing millions of dollars to reach UFA. And so few have ever done it.

The problem in all this is the NCAA. Its their rule about no pro contracts that is creating all of this. Players want the education if hockey doesnt pan out (as it doesnt for 80% of them) and teams want the player signed to deal. But NCAA is a stick in the mud in all of this

The simple and easiest solution is to allow pro contracts to be given to NCAA players but allow them to stay in school until they are done. Maybe the NHL teams pay for the tution. Player gets their education, team gets satisfaction of knowing they have a signed player under contract when they leave school

Agreed, there's not loophole I'm fairly sure CHL and European players can do it too, but especially for CHL players there is no league for them to play in.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If i was a player, might as well do it. Its up to the NHL to close the loop hole though. They should definitely do it too.

How is a 26 year old going to UFA different than a 23 NCAA going to UFA? Because he "earned" it? If you have objection to ncaa ufa's do you have a problem with other UFAs, I mean there are spurring their team. Why not have no UFA? you just play for one team until you retire, or make them really "earn" it and make ufa age 35

Vesey sacrificed 1.5 million or more dollars in not going pro last year when he was offered contract. 1,500,000.00. You think that is chump change for a 22 year old? If he flops in NHL which he easily could, that could be 20-30% of his total NHL career earnings.

So this dude gave up a boat load of cash just for the chance of going to UFA. He did not like his chances on the Predators so much that he essentially paid 1.5 million to avoid it.

Its not some greedy colleg kid trying to get big money. Its a kid trying to get best chance for his career and sacrificing dearly to do so

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007

NCAA players have a huge advantage over other players once their Hockey careers are over. Players that go that route know this dam well. To be honest, there aren't very many players that will even command salaries in the millions that have gone through this loophole. they aren't missing much other than an initial payday. They would be spending time toiling in the AHL not the NHL so they would be making much much less than millions but instead, are receiving an education. I dont think you have an argument here.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Agreed, there's not loophole I'm fairly sure CHL and European players can do it too, but especially for CHL players there is no league for them to play in.

Yup. Any CHL player can do it to. Theyd be ufa at same age as theyd have to go thru 2nd draft and have rights retained for a few years after. The only reason they dont do it is because they are done junior hockey, cant go to NCAA (plus got full ride scholarship to any Canadian school from playing CHL) and can start receiving pro money from AHL/NHL teams and start accuring UFA years earlier

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You want the privilege of playing in the NHL, you go through the draft like everyone else. You sign a entry level deal like everyone else and you earn you right to be a unristricted free agent.

My 2....5 cents.

Technically if you are out of the CHL you can pull the same stunt. Just go into the draft a couple of times and you are a UFA.

How about the college guys that teams don't sign should the team be forced to sign them?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Yup. Any CHL player can do it to. Theyd be ufa at same age as theyd have to go thru 2nd draft and have rights retained for a few years after. The only reason they dont do it is because they are done junior hockey, cant go to NCAA (plus got full ride scholarship to any Canadian school from playing CHL) and can start receiving pro money from AHL/NHL teams and start accuring UFA years earlier

Then it's not really a loophole...if you're going to a good school in the NCAA may as well stay and get your degree IMO unless you're a 1st/2nd rounder.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I do think that players are getting smarter and we're going to see more and more of this stuff. Players holding out, players demanding better contracts etc. Good for them.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
NCAA players have a huge advantage over other players once their Hockey careers are over. Players that go that route know this dam well. To be honest, there aren't very many players that will even command salaries in the millions that have gone through this loophole. they aren't missing much other than an initial payday. They would be spending time toiling in the AHL not the NHL so they would be making much much less than millions but instead, are receiving an education. I dont think you have an argument here.

How so? CHL players get full ride scholarships to Canadian schools to use if they choose. They also have time to take meaningful degrees because they arent playing hockey every day and weekend.

Every player that has went thru this loophole has received max ELCs with full bonuses that can go over 1.5 million. Almost no player whos gone thru this loophole has gone to AHL, what are you talking about? Schultz played in ahl due to lock out. Hayes went straight to NHL. Rielly played in Ahl tho. Vesey will play in NHL

And plus, even if your incorrect arguement was right. If they left school early, theyd be earnign pro AHL money but then make NHL money the next year likely and be one year ahead of where theyd be at if they stayed in NCAA (theyd then play in AHL after senior year according to you). So they are always a year ahead in terms of earning money.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The other kicker to the whole Vesey situation is the team was compensated and all things considered they did receive better compensation then what teams get when they fail to sign a 1st rounder. That is if you look where Vesey was drafted.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I do think that players are getting smarter and we're going to see more and more of this stuff. Players holding out, players demanding better contracts etc. Good for them.

I think the loophole to follow is what Matthews did. Now I don't know that Matthews will use it and I don't know that players themselves would want to use it, but having the option to play in the AHL at 18 sure can have some benefits for certain players.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yup. Excerize your rights. So sick of the mentality you have to stay with a team for your career and take as many salary cuts as need be to sacrifice for your team. When you know damn well that team will cut you loose or not resign you the minute you struggle.

Take teams to the bank and get your fair value

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

My 2....5 cents.

And when you sign a 6 year contract for 6 million dollars per with a franchise, you should honor that too, especially when said franchise went all-in for a playoff run.

And then there was that whole Heatley situation. And Nylander situation.

Oilers have played by the rules and gotten screwed over several times, so I'm not going to complain now that players actually want to come here, since many teams have benefitted at our expense in the past.

The CBA rules are what they are, Caggiula exercised his rights under the CBA.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think the loophole to follow is what Matthews did. Now I don't know that Matthews will use it and I don't know that players themselves would want to use it, but having the option to play in the AHL at 18 sure can have some benefits for certain players.

He could have played in AHL if he went to NCAA for a year. He was just to good for that league. I think a loophole to look into would be something like: you get drafted by a CHL team but refuse to sign, get drafted or signed by a foreign SEL/FEL affliate team. Dont actually go to that team, but just get them to loan you to a CHL team (like how A.Nylander is loaned to a CHL team) so you can play in AHL at age 18 or 19.

Not sure if this is entirely possible, but that could be a way to by pass the CHL/NHL agreement. But get the ability to play in the CHL

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Do people also think a 27 year old career AHLer (never played a second with NHL team) who goes to UFA and signs a NHL deal for another team is going thru a loophole?

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Don't mean to bump this thread, but I figured it was the place most appropriate. Is any one else a little surprised that Drake has seamlessly transitioned into the NHL, playing his first game, 20 games into the season. He didn't require any conditioning stints and was thrown right into the fire as soon as he was cleared to play. I am still not sold on the centre ice position being the best utilization of his skill set, but I am pleasantly surprised by his head for the game and ability to adjust to a difficult position at the NHL level, especially for a rookie. I am really hoping he becomes a top 6 guy and becomes a big time player for us. Some posters have claimed him to be a poor mans Gaudreau but I am not so sure besides size if their games are really that similar. Drake is a more physcial player and seems more of a shooter, albeit he can play make too as it's indicative of playing centre. Not saying he'll be better than Gaudreau, just that aside from stature, they are not identical in playing style and that Drake can be very effective for us the way he plays.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Don't mean to bump this thread, but I figured it was the place most appropriate. Is any one else a little surprised that Drake has seamlessly transitioned into the NHL, playing his first game, 20 games into the season. He didn't require any conditioning stints and was thrown right into the fire as soon as he was cleared to play. I am still not sold on the centre ice position being the best utilization of his skill set, but I am pleasantly surprised by his head for the game and ability to adjust to a difficult position at the NHL level, especially for a rookie. I am really hoping he becomes a top 6 guy and becomes a big time player for us. Some posters have claimed him to be a poor mans Gaudreau but I am not so sure besides size if their games are really that similar. Drake is a more physcial player and seems more of a shooter, albeit he can play make too as it's indicative of playing centre. Not saying he'll be better than Gaudreau, just that aside from stature, they are not identical in playing style and that Drake can be very effective for us the way he plays.

Hes a poor man's Parise.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't know a lot about this so can someone please explain this to me? There seems to be a LOT of CHL players in the CIS (CCAA).

What would stop former CHL players from just going the Canadian college route? I mean it's not like it's privatized. It would be largely meritocratic. They would already need a high school diploma. It would give a HUGE Boost to the Canadian programs.

Not to mention, most CHL players are Canadian anyways.

Could this move legitimize the Canadian University/College route? maybe even get some players drafted or signed from there?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't know a lot about this so can someone please explain this to me? There seems to be a LOT of CHL players in the CIS (CCAA).

What would stop former CHL players from just going the Canadian college route? I mean it's not like it's privatized. It would be largely meritocratic. They would already need a high school diploma. It would give a HUGE Boost to the Canadian programs.

Not to mention, most CHL players are Canadian anyways.

Could this move legitimize the Canadian University/College route? maybe even get some players drafted or signed from there?

Ive thought about this too. Players could get both CHL and CIS experience. In recent years there has been an increase in CIS players signed by AHL teams. I think the reason CHL players go to NCAA vs CHL (Sorry if this wasnt the point of your question) is that their is a lot more scouting exposure in the NCAA. To boot, CIS teams are made up of 22-25 year old former top CHL players (but just not good enough for pro). So it would be very hard for a younger player to come in and get ice time

CIS is great hockey but they built themseleves on being a greta league for CHLers after they are done that CHL route. Its more of a senior AAA then it is a development league for NHL

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I've been impressed by his defensive play so far. He seems to be very aware on the ice, has his head on a swivel, and skates hard on the back check. Solid college signing... he's gonna be a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad