Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign FA Drake Caggiula

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Welcome Drake

drake-3.w529.h352.gif

What do I need to know about this guy? I don't follow college hockey at all.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Happy about this signing. One of the few guys we've acquired who I have seen play 40+ times live.

He has a lot of skill. He is physical. I think he can be Chris Kunitz at best. I think he can be a cheap 3rd line player on our team next year. I have a feeling he was guaranteed a spot to come here.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Salty Canucks fan letting you know that you're getting a damn good player. He's a very underrated part of the CBS line in UND. He showed up big time in the games against Denver and Quinnipiac in the Frozen Four. Fast as hell, feisty as hell, underrated skill level, great in both ends, I really do think Brad Marchand is a good comparable. I'm interested in seeing how he will play in a more contact-oriented league, but I think the transition will be smooth. He'll be the kind of guy who can slot into many different areas of your lineup. I think he'll be the same caliber as guys like Leo Komarov and Jannik Hansen. And no, I don't think you'll "ruin" him or whatever. You guys are set for the future and I will cheer for you guys against the Flames every god damn year. Congratulations.

As for where he should play, I'd say that he definitely could step in the NHL, but if I was Chiarelli, I'd probably give him AHL time (although being promised NHL time was probably a factor as to why he signed in Edmonton). I don't think there's a wrong option for you guys honestly.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Happy about this signing. One of the few guys we've acquired who I have seen play 40+ times live.

He has a lot of skill. He is physical. I think he can be Chris Kunitz at best. I think he can be a cheap 3rd line player on our team next year. I have a feeling he was guaranteed a spot to come here.

I dont think Chia rolls that way. Krug spent a year in ahl

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Thats... unfortunately probably true. Just has to beat out Khaira & Slepy.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Welcome Drake

drake-3.w529.h352.gif

What do I need to know about this guy? I don't follow college hockey at all.

From all accounts, a good skater with high competitive instincts and abrasiveness. If you check out the nice highlight package posted by S7ark he has some pretty good hands as well -- lots of nice moves and a pretty good, accurate shot as well (seeing quite a few prime slot goals, so he knows where to go and find the empty spots for good chances). Small player. If he turns out to be Gallagher-lite, be very happy.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Don't mind this at all, hard to dislike a free asset. I hope Chia also tries to sign Ahti Oskanen for Bako, could add some size which I have read is a problem with the Condors.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Salty Canucks fan letting you know that you're getting a damn good player. He's a very underrated part of the CBS line in UND. He showed up big time in the games against Denver and Quinnipiac in the Frozen Four. Fast as hell, feisty as hell, great in both ends, I really do think Brad Marchand is a good comparable. I'm interested in seeing how he will play in a more contact-oriented league, but I think the transition will be smooth. He'll be the kind of guy who can slot into many different areas of your lineup. I think he'll be the same caliber as guys like Leo Komarov and Jannik Hansen. And no, I don't think you'll "ruin" him or whatever. You guys are set for the future and I will cheer for you guys against the Flames every god damn year. Congratulations.

I generally view Canucks fans with much disdain, but your post is the opposite of salty. Thanks for not being a ****** like most of your compatriots -- you still signed Stecher, who looks like a nice pick up.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
From elite prospects:

"A smart, skilled, and gritty buzzsaw of a winger that gets up and down the ice with focused drive. His mobility is elite, and his first three steps propel him to top speed quickly. Defensively, he is very active and can contain the opposition by limiting their chances in the slot. Offensively, he can be uncontainable, consistently displaying excellent vision and individual puck skills; can act as both the passer or the shooter in any given situation. An all-around game, rooted in his strong will to win and his ability to make the players around him better, is what he brings each and every night. Character is something built through tough situational battles and having to step up at key moments as a leader. Caggiula has the capacity to be that leader on and off the ice."

Like the sounds of that.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
His highlight video looks like the equivalent of a college Yakupov video.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
As dumb as it sounds, you just know some here will hate the signing for the sole reason that he's not a number one defenseman.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory

Pitlick and Kessy are the RFA Fs down there in Bak... Honestly with his complete inability to stay healthy, I might say good bye to Pitlick at this point (even considering Kessy, who has not done anything wrong besides being the guy in the Rieder trade). However given his quick wheels and physical (if inconsistent) play, I am guessing Kessy goes unsigned.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I guess that's good?

I know Canucks fans were all about him..

All I know is we hear about these college kids every year.. And very few end up doing anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad