Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Draisaitl to ELC

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hmmmm.send him back to Juniors and his Junior team and the Oil Kings make a blockbuster deal to get him here.

Oil Kings can probably use a big C.

THAT would be awesome!

I fully expect him to make the Oilers so IMO as of now at least this is just speculation and kicking around ideas.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I can see why the CHL and NHL have that rule... to not strip the junior leagues of all their talent and have them pushed into the AHL.

I'd propose a compromise though... say only the most elite players... 1st round picks in the NHL draft would be exempt and could head to the AHL early.

This year for example there were 20 players from the CHL junior leagues drafted in the 1st round.

So that's a maximum of 20 players from the WHL/OHL/QMJHL that would be allowed to be "fasttracked" into the AHL.

Keep in mind that NHL teams likely wouldn't send every 1st rounder immediately to the the AHL anyway... some players simply could use another year or two in junior regardless... so it's not as if it would be automatic to send all 1st rounders to the AHL.

Maybe this could be tweaked further... CHL players chosen in the top 15 picks etc.

I thinks what's obvious though is that for the most elite players... like Ekblad/Draisaitl and others like Drouin etc from other draft years... the option of having these elite players who are likely "too good" for junior be able to head to the AHL is something that's needed.

It's the right thing to do for these players as they need that higher level of competition to get better and grow as hockey players.

I just dont think it has ever hurt a player to go back and dont see it hurting them in the future.

Lets look at Pitlick for example. Fast tracked to the AHL because he didnt qualify for the CHL and AHL agreement. Fair to say he prob should of played one more season in the WHL.

Lets look at Eberle, he was good enough to play in the AHL early scoring a PPG in his late season call ups. Did it hurt him to play against juniors?

Most junior teams consist of 18, 19 and 20 year olds. Not many 17 and can only have 2 16's.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I fully expect him to make the Oilers so IMO as of now at least this is just speculation and kicking around ideas.

Ohh, of course.

But it's a damned good idea if the Drai doesn't make the team, which is highly unlikely.

Exit Cap'n Reinhart....enter Cap'n Drai.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ohh, of course.

But it's a damned good idea if the Drai doesn't make the team, which is highly unlikely.

Exit Cap'n Reinhart....enter Cap'n Drai.

So then who will be Cap'n Crunch next season? :naughty: He would probably put a few butts in the seats but I think that unless he really looks badly in the preseason that he has a spot on this team to lose.

Gambl0r83*

Why would he feel any obligation to stay with his junior team? He spent two years there and improved as a hockey player while helping the team perform, dragging them to the playoffs last year. He's now good enough to play pro hockey at a high level, why stay and play juniors? Out of gratitude? With that reasoning he should have stayed with his old german club out of gratitude instead of leaving for PA to develop further.

LoL @ this. Why feel any obligation? How about developing him into a solid Western hockey player. His first season, his numbers were below average, averaging less than a pt. per game, which is hardly star, never mind superstar, caliber. The next year, he blew the entire league apart; and to which even Leon himself said, he owes a lot of his development and hockey knowledge progression that particularly year, to the staff of the PA Raiders. Then he decides to dump that staff and hard work they put into him, b/c he'd be too sour if the oilers didn't name him to this year's roster. This kind of attitude reminds me of Yak last year, when he wasn't getting the minutes b/c he sucked hard d-ick defensively.

If the Oilers were the in the WHL, and Leon did this to us; I strongly believe your opinion would change from let him go to Europe to develop, to F this traitor.

And Bahaha, he left His German team to develop his game further; going back to Europe is like getting back with a nasty ex-girlfriend, and dumping his Junior team is only going to stunt his development and put a sour taste in a lot of fans/critics mouth for a long time. He doesn't know what this one move will do for his image in the next 5-10 yrs

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
LoL @ this. Why feel any obligation? How about developing him into a solid Western hockey player. His first season, his numbers were below average, averaging less than a pt. per game, which is hardly star, never mind superstar, caliber. The next year, he blew the entire league apart; and to which even Leon himself said, he owes a lot of his development and hockey knowledge progression that particularly year, to the staff of the PA Raiders. Then he decides to dump that staff and hard work they put into him, b/c he'd be too sour if the oilers didn't name him to this year's roster. This kind of attitude reminds me of Yak last year, when he wasn't getting the minutes b/c he sucked hard d-ick defensively.

If the Oilers were the in the WHL, and Leon did this to us; I strongly believe your opinion would change from let him go to Europe to develop, to F this traitor.

And Bahaha, he left His German team to develop his game further; going back to Europe is like getting back with a nasty ex-girlfriend, and dumping his Junior team is only going to stunt his development and put a sour taste in a lot of fans/critics mouth for a long time. He doesn't know what this one move will do for his image in the next 5-10 yrs

How do you know it's going to stunt his development by going across Europe? The only one I see that's having a sour taste over him making this choice is you. Who gives a damn about image. If he'll tear it up in the Euro leagues, then I'm definitely happy for him. He doesn't owe the raiders anything. You're being way too sensitive.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

You're taking this rather well.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

If the Oilers were in the WHL I'd realize that this is a junior team and that means once a player can play in the pro leagues they will leave. They should leave.

I actually don't get my pants in a twist over a player leaving the Oilers to look for work elsewhere even as an NHL team. They're not slaves. If Leon suddenly felt he'd rather spend the rest of his career in the Swiss League I wouldn't be happy because it likely makes our team worse but I certainly wouldn't call him a traitor. It's his choice.

I'll just let that europe comment slide.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
To be honest, I wasn't really confused. But thanks for the synopsys.

So let's see...190/day * 5 days/week * 2 = 1900 every 2 weeks minus taxes etc.

Not a bad starting wage for an 18 year old.:rant:

I think he meant 190 days in the season. He'd be making way more than 1900 every 2 weeks. Something like 5 grand every day he's with the big club.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Most prospects that are drafted top 3 play in the NHL right away.

Stamkos
Schenn
Bogosian
Doughty
Bødker
Bailey
Sbisa

Tavares
Duchene
Hedman
Kane
Kulikov
O'Reilly

Hall
Seguin
Burmistov
Fowler

RNH
Landeskog
Larsson
Couturier

Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Trouba
Grigorenko

MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Lindholm
Monahan
Ristolainen
Nichushkin

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Pretty sure Draisaitl will be here all season. His big size and the fact that he showed he can handle his own rather well in the World Championships are good indications of this.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Then he decides to dump that staff and hard work they put into him, b/c he'd be too sour if the oilers didn't name him to this year's roster.

Too sour?

If you're going to pretend to know what's going on in Draisaitl's head, at least give an effort to not colour your interpretation of his thoughts with your own preconceptions.

And to be honest, your angst is going to be moot anyway. Barring a complete faceplant at camp, he will be making the Oilers this year.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
$925K/82 games = $11,280.49 per game.

I'm pretty sure it's not calculated on a per game basis and rather a per day your on an NHL roster.

Or players that get scratched wouldn't be getting paid, which wouldn't make sense.

But if that is the case, I wonder what would happen if they kept Drai up the whole season but scratched him every game after game #9. He would never go over his 9 games played limit but would he still be making NHL cash? I know this would never happen as his development would stop, I just wonder what the logistics are of contract/salary if something like this were to happen. In theory couldn't he make his full NHL salary in a year without burning a year of his contract?

Eirhead*

His first season, his numbers were below average, averaging less than a pt. per game, which is hardly star, never mind superstar, caliber. The next year, he blew the entire league apart; and to which even Leon himself said, he owes a lot of his development and hockey knowledge progression that particularly year, to the staff of the PA Raiders.
Soooo, he made a lot of progress between his first and second years on North American ice?

Eirhead*

I'm pretty sure it's not calculated on a per game basis and rather a per day your on an NHL roster.

Or players that get scratched wouldn't be getting paid, which wouldn't make sense.

But if that is the case, I wonder what would happen if they kept Drai up the whole season but scratched him every game after game #9. He would never go over his 9 games played limit but would he still be making NHL cash? I know this would never happen as his development would stop, I just wonder what the logistics are of contract/salary if something like this were to happen. In theory couldn't he make his full NHL salary in a year without burning a year of his contract?

Actually, I'm pretty sure you get paid per game. You still get your pay cheque if you're a scratch. It's when you get re-assigned to another league that your pay cheque is affected when you're on a 2-way.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I am glad they signed him to a 3 year deal. It's funny to see all the hate around the net over this. People are saying the Oilers are offering giant contracts again to someone who is unproven. How is offering a basic 3 year contract being reckless? I have not seen how much they signed him for around the net but I bet it was a reasonable amount for a high drafted rookie. I think it's just people being trolls. 3 years is not a extensive contract.

oilz89*

...... You're weird buddy. Are you crying now because he said he doesn't want to go back to the Raiders? :help:

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
I am glad they signed him to a 3 year deal. It's funny to see all the hate around the net over this. People are saying the Oilers are offering giant contracts again to someone who is unproven. How is offering a basic 3 year contract being reckless? I have not seen how much they signed him for around the net but I bet it was a reasonable amount for a high drafted rookie. I think it's just people being trolls. 3 years is not a extensive contract.

ELC's are typically signed for the max, 3 years, unless its a situation is like Justin Shultz who's max ELC could be 2 years..

All the hate around the net isn't about signing him. And the giant contract aren't about signing him. It could be because we don't have center depth and are throwing him to the wolves. (for the record I don't mind playing him next year if he deserves it, but 2nd line automatically is a little concerning.) The hate is around mainly the Pouliot contract and to a lesser extent Nikita Nikitin.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada

Three years is the only contract that is allowable given his recent draft selection. ELC are really not that negotiable on drafted players.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure why the ELC for top 5's really take this long, is there anything to really discuss?

I don't really care either way, but it just seems odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad