Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
200.gif

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Great news, clearly it was going to get done. I wonder if it's "cheaper" then the 1st overall contracts that previous players got?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Great news, clearly it was going to get done. I wonder if it's "cheaper" then the 1st overall contracts that previous players got?

http://www.coppernblue.com/2014/8/12/5995081/draisaitl-contract-edmonton-oilers

"Some news from Oilers land this morning, the team and their newest first round selection, Leon Draisaitl have agreed to terms on a three-year entry-level contract. The dollars were not realeased but the last three players taken third overall - Jonathan Drouin, Alex Galchenyuk, and Jonathan Huberdeau - all signed identical deals with a base salary of $925k and bonuses of up to $2.3M, it's probably safe to assume Draisaitl's deal is in the same range."

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Excellent. Mostly a formality, but glad it's done. Now we just need to sign Schultz.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

"Some news from Oilers land this morning, the team and their newest first round selection, Leon Draisaitl have agreed to terms on a three-year entry-level contract. The dollars were not realeased but the last three players taken third overall - Jonathan Drouin, Alex Galchenyuk, and Jonathan Huberdeau - all signed identical deals with a base salary of $925k and bonuses of up to $2.3M, it's probably safe to assume Draisaitl's deal is in the same range."

Thanks for the clarification.

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK

Strange, on capgeek both Huberdeau and Drouin's base salary is listed as $894,167, not that it matters significantly.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Strange, on capgeek both Huberdeau and Drouin's base salary is listed as $894,167, not that it matters significantly.

Both Huberdeau and Drouin were sent back to Junior so their contract slides and the signing bonus doesn't get included in the contract which is why the number changes. They signed for the same amount though.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I was hoping this would happen.

A part of me was very very worried that the Oilers braintrust would try something out of the box, and do something unexpected, to fool the entire league.

Yes, I do think they are that stupid.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So I'm confused as to how these ELC's work. Does he get paid that amount even if he is sent back to the minors?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
So I'm confused as to how these ELC's work. Does he get paid that amount even if he is sent back to the minors?

He'll get paid his signing bonus and that's it. If he gets 9 games he'll get an NHL paycheque for however long he's on the roster but his contract will still slide to the following year.

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
Both Huberdeau and Drouin were sent back to Junior so their contract slides and the signing bonus doesn't get included in the contract which is why the number changes. They signed for the same amount though.

Interesting, so that means if a player on an ELC gets sent back to junior initially, it lowers his cap hit for the rest of his ELC (not including the A/B performance bonuses)?

In any event, I am quite happy that Draisaitl is signed.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting, so that means if a player on an ELC gets sent back to junior initially, it lowers his cap hit for the rest of his ELC (not including the A/B performance bonuses)?

In any event, I am quite happy that Draisaitl is signed.

no, it doesn't change the cap hit, it just pushes when the 1st year of the contract actually starts... example: if leon got sent back to junior this year, but made the NHL next year, his ELC would start in the 2015-16 season and end in the 2017-18 season

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
no, it doesn't change the cap hit, it just pushes when the 1st year of the contract actually starts... example: if leon got sent back to junior this year, but made the NHL next year, his ELC would start in the 2015-16 season and end in the 2017-18 season

From what the poster above says it actually does come down a little?

Perhaps the signing bonus is part of the contract and not the other bonus's.

Signing bonus gets applied to the cap year the contract was signed (this year)

and if the contract slides the cap for the next year is contract - signing bonus.

Just speculation.

Either way it seems to be a pretty insignificant amount.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Is Draisaitl really living with Yakupov now? How come I thought I heard before that he was staying with Bruce Saville? Wonder if this is just temporary before the season starts.. as Yakupov's family is usually here during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad