Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Draisaitl to ELC

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
no, it doesn't change the cap hit, it just pushes when the 1st year of the contract actually starts... example: if leon got sent back to junior this year, but made the NHL next year, his ELC would start in the 2015-16 season and end in the 2017-18 season

If capgeek is correct and I can't imagine it wouldn't be at this point for ELCs, if a player is sent back to junior then it does change the minimum caphit from $925,000 (Galchenyuk) to $894,167 (Huberdeau, Drouin) which is relatively insignificant as stated above but something I hadn't realized. Of course there are also the Schedule A/B bonuses to be considered, but it appears the signing bonus is totally separate. In any event, it likely won't matter for the Oilers/Draisaitl as I can't see him being sent back to juniors given the current roster.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Is Draisaitl really living with Yakupov now? How come I thought I heard before that he was staying with Bruce Saville? Wonder if this is just temporary before the season starts.. as Yakupov's family is usually here during the season.

I hadn't heard this. Do you have a source?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
He'll get paid his signing bonus and that's it. If he gets 9 games he'll get an NHL paycheque for however long he's on the roster but his contract will still slide to the following year.

People please quit saying slide...

Stupid goo goo dolls song in my head now.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
SOK8R.gif

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I hadn't heard this. Do you have a source?

Yak and Draisaitl rooming together has been talked about alot on the radio and heres an article on it:

http://oilonwhyte.com/2014/08/10/summer-yakupov-draisaitl/

"Fast-forward to 2014, and we see signs that this phenomena may well be playing out yet again. Nail Yakupov and 1st Round Draft pick Leon Draisaitl will both be counted on heavily this winter, probably more so than is healthy for players of their maturity. But what gives me optimism that this experiment will pan out is the fact that Yakupov and Draisaitl are rooming together, working out together, generally appearing to be attached at the hip, in Edmonton this summer."

And heres an article about Draisaitl staying with Saville, but this was before Yakupov was in town:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/...-wants-to-play-in-the-nhl-as-soon-as-possible

"Draisaitl, 18, is currently working out with the Oilers' strength and conditioning team, while being billeted by Bruce Saville."

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
He'll get paid his signing bonus and that's it. If he gets 9 games he'll get an NHL paycheque for however long he's on the roster but his contract will still slide to the following year.

They have to play NHL regular season games to get paid.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

BTW, I heard Drai on Oilers Now today. Sounds like he and Yakupov are doing pretty much everything together. Both have been working out and skating together. Ebs was on as well, and he sounded pretty impressed with the Drai.

Eberle said that the month he had off from the Worlds this year helped him tremendously. Gave him more time to work out and skate. Said he's never felt better in all the time he's been here.

Here's to a good season for these rising stars.

Last edited:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yak and Draisaitl rooming together has been talked about alot on the radio and heres an article on it:

http://oilonwhyte.com/2014/08/10/summer-yakupov-draisaitl/

"Fast-forward to 2014, and we see signs that this phenomena may well be playing out yet again. Nail Yakupov and 1st Round Draft pick Leon Draisaitl will both be counted on heavily this winter, probably more so than is healthy for players of their maturity. But what gives me optimism that this experiment will pan out is the fact that Yakupov and Draisaitl are rooming together, working out together, generally appearing to be attached at the hip, in Edmonton this summer."

And heres an article about Draisaitl staying with Saville, but this was before Yakupov was in town:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/...-wants-to-play-in-the-nhl-as-soon-as-possible

"Draisaitl, 18, is currently working out with the Oilers' strength and conditioning team, while being billeted by Bruce Saville."

Thanks for these

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
I'm so impressed by this kid. The way he carries himself, his thoughtfulness when dealing with the press and a sense of overall maturity. Let's just hope it carries over to the ice. He's certainly very different from Yakupov.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

I just glanced over this part, and thought it read "belittled by Bruce Saville" which would make a much more hilarious story.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
put him in the WHL for two years and use those cheap ELC years when this team MIGHT be half assed decent. UFA at 27 >>> UFA at 25

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
put him in the WHL for two years and use those cheap ELC years when this team MIGHT be half assed decent. UFA at 27 >>> UFA at 25

If he's ready, he's ready. There is no point keeping him in the WHL to save on cap space sometime in the remote future. Ideally, NHL players on cheap ELC will come from later round picks (Petry, Marincin types). High picks like Draisatl are expected to be effective NHL contributors fairly soon--if they are not, then the team is screwed.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I thought the nine games just meant he burned a year of eligibility for free agency.

Does he really not get paid per his NHL contract if he only plays eight games? It seems odd he wouldn't be entitled to a shade under 10% of his NHL salary for playing those eight games.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Gee. Now I'm more confused.

Thanks allot....chums.

Draisaitl gets the $92.5k signing bonus no matter where he plays.

For the $925k NHL salary, he'll get paid the daily value of it($925k divided by the number of days in a season...probably something like 190) for every day he's in the NHL. That gets paid out every two weeks.

If he goes back to the WHL, the money stops.

As for the sliding that some have brought up, it just means that if he plays less than 10 NHL games, his entry level contract basically gets extended a year. Right now his ELC goes from 2014/15 to 2016/17. If he plays less than 10 NHL games in 2014-15 and gets sent back to the WHL, his ELC would then be 2015/16 to 2017/18.

Last edited:

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Draisaitl gets the $92.5k signing bonus no matter where he plays.

For the $925k NHL salary, he'll get paid the daily value of it($925k divided by the number of days in a season...probably something like 190) for every day he's in the NHL. That gets paid out every two weeks.

If he goes back to the WHL, the money stops.

As for the sliding that some have brought up, it just means that if he plays less than 10 NHL games, his entry level contract basically gets extended a year. Right now his ELC goes from 2014/15 to 2016/17. If he plays less than 10 NHL games in 2014-15 and gets sent back to the WHL, his ELC would then be 2015/16 to 2017/18.

If the player is 18 or 19, the contract can slide, and the contract starts at 20, regardless of where he plays. But he would get paid the "AHL salary" amount if he were to go back to junior for his 20 YO season. That's why 20 YOs are rarely sent back to junior for their overage season.

Not that I think it applies to Draisaitl because he'll almost certainly be in the NHL before he's 20, but there's a strong possibility that Marco Roy will burn a year of his ELC while playing in Rimouski this season, as he'll be a 20 YO.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yes. I know some of Wade Reddens cousins and they told me a story years ago about how when Wade was a rookie he had literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in uncashed cheques just stacked on top of his fridge.

NHL teams have never heard of direct deposit? :sarcasm:

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Just saw on twitter from Guy Flaming that Drai will go to Europe this year to play if he doesn't make the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad