Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Corey Perry (775k AAV, 225k for 10GP, 50k for winning Round II, 50k for winning Round III)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I posted this in the Sports radio thread. Probably should have posted it here instead.
Rishaug, Struds and Brown get into the signing.
It appears as if the issue had to do with alcohol and Perry has gone into a substance abuse program.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006

Props to you Kenny!
giphy.gif

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Perry probably gets some minutes with Connor and Leon here and there. Will be interesting to see how much he has left in the tank. After an icing or PK, having Kane and Perry out with Connor or Leon looks a lot better than Erne and Janmark. Opens up some interesting options.

Reactions: Sanchez

Green Xero

I just don't care
Aug 2, 2023
Hell
Got a real bad feeling we're about to find out why he chose Edmonton over Florida.
He's a professional. He doesnt need the $. Better location / wheather doesn't matter, its not like hes moving to a town he signs with for half a season. He did his homework just like the Oil did, looked at his options and picked what in his mind is the best chance to win. I'm glad as hell that Edm was his choice as it somewhat validates the feeling that I have of "there is something different in Edmonton this year, something special"

Reactions: bellagiobob

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Dang, sneaky good signing for this team. Perry, for his troubles, was still productive on ice this year.

Been making fun of the Oil, but they've undoubtably turned things around when I didn't think they could, and now they've become just a smegit tougher, imo.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was a guy I've wanted for awhile. Then listening to whoever it was on Gregor's show last week I really wanted him more. Just having that guy in the room that has won before can help settle things down if the game plan isn't working in the playoffs.

With that being said I think even though there is a spot higher up the lineup, this is a guy that essentially is a 4th liner. He was a 10 minute a night player with loads of PP time in CHI, so to expect much more I think is a little unfair to the player. Even then he was pacing for 36 even strength points on the 4th line in CHI, so hopefully he can continue that.

Curious if a Gagner-Holloway-Perry line would be beneficial for Holloway. Both Gagner and Perry are vets that somehow are producing in limited time. Yes I get the skating aspect of it, but obviously those guys know how to get to the right spot despite their speed.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
The fact that he chose an intense CDN market with the $$ he has made and the cup he has won, tells me he is serious about winning and willing to work hard.

Florida is good too and in a great location. He could have relaxed and just played down there

This is a like a late Christmas gift from the hockey gods... as there would be no way we could have gotten Perry on a league minimum contract if his contract was never terminated by the Hawks.
We sure have got breaks getting Kane below market and then keeping him and now Perry for depth

Some more entertainment for you guys:
-------------------

"
Kind of disparaging to see the league complicit in assisting he Oilers in getting players below their actual cap hit. Perry either has a valid contract in Chicago or he did something so bad he shouldn't be in the league until he deals with it.

Both times this has happened it was known the players was going to the Oilers at below market afterwards.

NHL is making it easier to tune out with their preferential treatment of the chosen teams."
----------------
"
Nice message to all OEG staff that you don't matter.

Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if their player signing tactics transfer over to their hiring practices and all those employed are just panting like dogs about this anyways."
---------------------
"
How the Oilers aren't getting absolutely blasted by the media for the signing is beyond me.

I guess anything is okay if they think it helps McDavid win a Cup. It feels like different organizations are held to different standards, and apparently the standards for the Oilers are anything goes.

Absolutely disgusting by so, so many involved - and not just within their organization."

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think Perry probably gets some minutes with Connor and Leon here and there. Will be interesting to see how much he has left in the tank. After an icing or PK, having Kane and Perry out with Connor or Leon looks a lot better than Erne and Janmark. Opens up some interesting options.
Oilers have no problem creating high scoring chances in bunches but have finishing issues. Perry isn’t Hart Perry anymore but I’m sure he will do very well here.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Please let the bonuses be small, and maybe a bit difficult to achieve.

We're already carrying over Browns bonus into next year, lets not f*** ourselves extra hard so we can be paying Perry and Brown next year while having neither on the team.

I'd prefer them to be impossible to achieve but I don't think he'd agree to those terms :sarcasm:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The nice thing too is that Perry has 26 pts in his last 51 playoff games in the past 3 years.. which is pretty decent numbers for a depth player.

He doesn't appear to be falling off a cliff when the games count the most and that's exactly the type of player you want for a long playoff run.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's a professional. He doesnt need the $. Better location / wheather doesn't matter, its not like hes moving to a town he signs with for half a season. He did his homework just like the Oil did, looked at his options and picked what in his mind is the best chance to win. I'm glad as hell that Edm was his choice as it somewhat validates the feeling that I have of "there is something different in Edmonton this year, something special"
I really think he wants to be apart of playing with two of the best players in the world, even if he doesn't get the ice time with them.

What else is there for him to play for at this point in his career?

I'm actually even shocked he went for any sort of bonuses, guy still is going to make more than all our forwards except the big 5.

Reactions: Green Xero

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I never thought I'd see the day Corey Perry would become an Edmonton Oiler.

I'm very surprised he signed here and not in Vegas or Florida. I'm pleased he chose here regardless. He's got a wealth of playoff experience and has been to the finals 4(!) times.

If we trade for Maroon we could stack the pests together and form "The Trolling Trio" line.

Maroon - Kane - Perry :laugh:

Everyone would hate us and we would love it!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I never thought I'd see the day Corey Perry would become an Edmonton Oiler.

I'm very surprised he signed here and not in Vegas or Florida. I'm pleased he chose here regardless. He's got a wealth of playoff experience and has been to the finals 4(!) times.

If we trade for Maroon we could stack the pests together and form "The Trolling Trio" line.

Maroon - Kane - Perry :laugh:

Everyone would hate us and we would love it!
That line could end up driving their own teammates nuts when on the bench chirping the other bench lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm sure there will be plenty of bumps and bruises among the Oilers forwards as the games intensify in the playoff chase among teams... so a forward like Janmark/Gagner/Ryan/Brown or even Kane collectively sitting out a few games to make room for Perry in the lineup isn't a bad thing.

Added solid depth like Perry brings to the lineup is a definite asset and you can be sure teams in the West like Vegas winced just a little when they realized the Oilers just got better and deeper with this addition.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
Exactly the type of vet we need to show guys what it takes to win at the next level.
Manage his ice time, throw him out when we need a spark, 2nd PP time in front of the net, profit.

Great add for essentially league min. Nice work Holland.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Organizational culture matters to me as a person. As a fan, we want championships. No one goes back and wonders about how much of a rat Ken Linesman was. They just remember the guys lifting the cup.

Morally conflicted, but as a fan, I hope he helps us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad