Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Caleb Jones to 3 Year ELC

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He made that defender look like a complete bum on that short-handed goal.
Can't wait to see what's he's got in the AHL next season.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Wasn't sure where to share this, so I figured it would be a good idea to dust off this old thread and bump it up; Caleb Jones is a significant prospect in our system and have seen him on a lot of different trade proposals through out HF. I admit I am a little perplexed when I see some of these proposals as defensive prospects with his projected talent don't often get traded. His head coach Mike Johnson has said on multiple occasions that Caleb "for sure" has NHL talent and that the Oilers organization is excited about him.

This was the second time a local television channel had featured Caleb Jones last week and though it would be an interesting share on his thread.

Oh and also can't get enough of this.

The first video's narrator sounds like a first edition cyborg trying its best to be human.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
This makes me feel a bit better about Davey.

Yeah, tough to see Davey go but the upcoming expansion draft kinda left us with no other option. On the bright side, Jones should be a excellent replacement. With his speed and puck moving ability he should be able to add to what is already becoming a good young defence corp.

The first video's narrator sounds like a first edition cyborg trying its best to be human.

:laugh: Yeah actually surprised somebody didn't mention it earlier.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
^

Having a small/weird issue with the Jones video. Hopefully it's resolved quickly.

EDIT:

So the video is good now.

The video got flagged by YouTube for violating the "Community Guidelines" for containing inappropriate content. Which means videos containing graphic violence, nudity or dangerous content...

I have no clue why it was flagged I haven't had an issue with any other video.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Watching Jones he seems like an extremely high IQ player. He also has extremely good skating and passing ability. Pretty much a lock to be a good NHL defensemen if those are your 3 strong suits.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
^

Having a small/weird issue with the Jones video. Hopefully it's resolved quickly.

EDIT:

So the video is good now.

The video got flagged by YouTube for violating the "Community Guidelines" for containing inappropriate content. Which means videos containing graphic violence, nudity or dangerous content...

I have no clue why it was flagged I haven't had an issue with any other video.

Enjoy!

Probably because of the undressing that takes place at approx. 6:56. Inappropriate content sounds about right to me.

Note: That was joke btw, I did not flag your video. Don't know if regular youtube viewers can even do that. lol.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Must be nice having an older brother who is en route to becoming a #1D while coming from an athletic background

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Wasn't sure where to share this, so I figured it would be a good idea to dust off this old thread and bump it up; Caleb Jones is a significant prospect in our system and have seen him on a lot of different trade proposals through out HF. I admit I am a little perplexed when I see some of these proposals as defensive prospects with his projected talent don't often get traded. His head coach Mike Johnson has said on multiple occasions that Caleb "for sure" has NHL talent and that the Oilers organization is excited about him.

This was the second time a local television channel had featured Caleb Jones last week and though it would be an interesting share on his thread.

Oh and also can't get enough of this.

Is that a robot narrating the news story? Seems he has to annunciate every word and then leave painful, awkward pauses between each word.

At the World. Junior. International...Ice. Hockey. Federation. Championships.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Man idk. I could totally see Jones doing something similar to Nurse and playing ~15 games in the AHL, getting called up due to injury or something and then never going back down. Whether that's the best thing or not im not sure but it could happen. I really think he is gonna be a NHL player.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
In his 18 yr old WHL season my initial thoughts on Jones were of him having great mobility and not much else. This season though he seemed to have gained a lot more confidence with the puck and became more assertive. He doesn't have the intimidating point shot like Bear has, but he's a far better skater than Bear with more size as well.

If I had to make a choice regarding which one has NHL Top 4 dman potential between Bear and Jones, given the overall package I would pick Jones at this time.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Wonder if we'll see both Jones and Bear in the top 4 on the farm team next year.

Based on who's signed I think there's a pretty good chance of that. This is my rough outlook on what the Condors depth chart on defense will be.

Simpson-Fayne
Jones-Bear
Paigin-Mantha
Betker

I could see another vet brought in on an AHL contract(maybe Mark Fraser) so they can spread the youth around a bit, but I think within a few months both those guys will prove to be regular contributors with the team. I think we could see Jones get some games with the big club next year personally.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Watching Jones he seems like an extremely high IQ player. He also has extremely good skating and passing ability. Pretty much a lock to be a good NHL defensemen if those are your 3 strong suits.

He is miles ahead of where Darnell Nurse was at the same age.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Here is my 2016/17 Season Highlights video for Caleb Jones.

Here is a link to the video.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This video and more can be found here:

EDMONTON PROSPECT WATCH

Thanks again for doing these. I can't imagine the effort and time that goes into making a video like this.

Kind of understated around here but I'm sure I'm not the only board member that values the way you're letting us see extended tape of some of the more obscure non-1st round picks we've made recently.

Can I put in a request? Saw your shift isolations on Bear a few weeks back - is it possible to have a similar season highlights video (like this one for Jones) for Bear?

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Thanks again for doing these. I can't imagine the effort and time that goes into making a video like this.

Kind of understated around here but I'm sure I'm not the only board member that values the way you're letting us see extended tape of some of the more obscure non-1st round picks we've made recently.

Can I put in a request? Saw your shift isolations on Bear a few weeks back - is it possible to have a similar season highlights video (like this one for Jones) for Bear?

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy making them.

And yes there will be a Bear one. I'm just waiting for his season to end... hopefully with him hoisting the Memorial Cup, then I will put it together, I've already started to gather clips.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Josi?? Nah

Maybe Petry

I just see a ton of Josi in him (not upside-wise, style wise). Petry is nothing to scoff at. Style wise I see Josi, upside wise I would be over the moon if he became Petry. Petry was a good puck mover but not overly dynamic at that in neutral zone or offensive zone. Josi is alot more assertive and willingly to take those risks. When I watch Jones's highlights I see a spitting image of what I see in Josi. Uber confident with the puck and willingly to take risks. Great skater and good vision to boot. He is capable of knowing which type of shot to use in O zone (Eg 7:45, goes for big clapper, stops on the wind up and puts a little wrister on net for a goal). I really value that as Petry had a bomb of a shot but really never knew how to use it well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad