Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Caleb Jones to 3 Year ELC

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Surprising. Are they going to send him to the AHL next year? That's the only reason I could imagine they sign him now.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Surprising. Are they going to send him to the AHL next year? That's the only reason I could imagine they sign him now.

Well he is eligible for the AHL as he was drafted out of the USHL. But I'm not sure how wise an idea that would be. This at least saves what could have been a potential headache for next year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Did they sign Bear yet? If not, I'm surprised that Jones got signed first.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bear's still playing, likely don't want to distract him.

Remember Jones' contract will slide and not count against the 50 if he goes back to junior. No harm in signing him now.

Ah yes, I forgot that Seattle advanced. Makes sense now

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This guy has insane potential. Got to watch him quite a bit this year, offensive tools, skating and compete are all potentially elite. He does need work defensively and on his decision making.

I'm happy with Bear and Paigin, but this guy is the one that has me really excited.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Great to hear. Do people think he is ready for the AHL or should he play another year in the Dub?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Doesn't have have to go back to junior or play in the NHL next year anyway? He's only 18. The contract will be pushed for two more years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He can't play in the AHL even if we wanted him to. Drafted out of the CHL, he will remain with the Winterhawks next year.

I think he was drafted out of USNTDP so he could. Although keep him in CHL. Give prime minutes to Osterle/ Reinhart o rNurse/Musil/Laleggia next season

Then in 2 years have Jones/Bear/Paigin/Betker getting prime minutes

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I posted this is prospects thread. Bears and Jones PP and ES production vs other WHL D this year

vSut9Q9.png

Jones is killing it 5x5 and Bear on PP. #rd in WHL D for ES primary points. Jones also has 2nd highest % of team points for all D in the WHL. Behind only Sanhiem.

ES scoring is more transferable to pro than PP is and Jones is doing very good in that area despite a lower scoring team. If you were to put him on a higher scoring team like the Wheatkings or Hurricanes and have him at same % of team points, hed be around ppg. And doing it mostly at even strength

Its also good that Bear is killing it on the PP (1st in WHL for D), because we really need a RD that has a blast from the point on PP. Ala Barrie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad