Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Caleb Jones to 3 Year ELC

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why does he need an ATO, he's an Oilers prospect on an ELC. Can't they assign him to Bakersfield since Portland's season is over?

Probably has to do with pro contracts. An ATO doesnt count as an AHL contract, so can essentiall bring up up to the team, let him train and maybe play, and it doesnt count as contract

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Probably has to do with pro contracts. An ATO doesnt count as an AHL contract, so can essentiall bring up up to the team, let him train and maybe play, and it doesnt count as contract

He has to have an ATO to play here in Bako. He has now been assigned for the last few games. There is zero limit to AHL only contracts. There is a 50 player limit to NHL contracts. His ELC will start next year and go against the 50 player limit

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I'm not sure how you could possibly know that.
I am a season ticket holder in Bako for the past 17 years. I sit center ice so I can see all of the game and how the plays starts and end. Laleggia is good on offence. He has played most of the season there. His speed and his points are from beingh a forward and NOT form being a dman. He is slow to get back and he is way too small to handle forwards of any size which is common since we play Ontario (Kings) and San Diego (Ducks) and San Jose (Sharks). Stockton (Flames) is a complete mess but even against them he has sooo many issues. On defense he CANNOT keep the puck in the offensive zone, but neither can Hunt or many of the others. Musil and Osterle are the best defense and Simpson is improving every game.

If you want a small speedy forward then Laleggia is the guy. If you want a small dman who cannot stop any player over 6 ft or is heavy on the puck then once again you want Laleggia.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I am a season ticket holder in Bako for the past 17 years. I sit center ice so I can see all of the game and how the plays starts and end. Laleggia is good on offence. He has played most of the season there. His speed and his points are from beingh a forward and NOT form being a dman. He is slow to get back and he is way too small to handle forwards of any size which is common since we play Ontario (Kings) and San Diego (Ducks) and San Jose (Sharks). Stockton (Flames) is a complete mess but even against them he has sooo many issues. On defense he CANNOT keep the puck in the offensive zone, but neither can Hunt or many of the others. Musil and Osterle are the best defense and Simpson is improving every game.

If you want a small speedy forward then Laleggia is the guy. If you want a small dman who cannot stop any player over 6 ft or is heavy on the puck then once again you want Laleggia.

SO about that mjor ego problem you claim that he has? Are you assuming that because he is adjusting to playing defence in a pro league and struggles at times? Or you just dont like the players and you are assuming that?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Watching him play EVERY game in Bako...I am a season ticket holder for 17 years.....

So being a long time Tier 1 fan you are able to deduce these kinds of things simply because of your tier 1 status?

He is very good friends with Nuge. Nuge is one of the most humble players I have ever seen/met/heard of. I highly doubt what you say is true and that his close friend has an ego problem. Maybe he has swagger or confidence, which are totally different than a major ego problem.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Pretty much. Because his contract doesn't kick in until the 2016-2017 season, he needs a seperate agreement to be able to play in the AHL right now. It's pretty commonplace.

Wish we had a forward prospect or two. Bako could really use the help up front with Klinkhammer done for the year and Pitlick injured again (surprising no-one)

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Our drafting has been pathetically poor but we've been a bit unlucky too.

Perhaps times are changing!

None of these guys have given us any reason not to think they'll end up good picks, but let's not forget that we've all thought we had late round steals a year after the draft many times before.

Chase, Hamilton, Omark, Cornet, Chorney, Umicevic, Jacques, and Bunz to name a few off the top of my head.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
None of these guys have given us any reason not to think they'll end up good picks, but let's not forget that we've all thought we had late round steals a year after the draft many times before.

Chase, Hamilton, Omark, Cornet, Chorney, Umicevic, Jacques, and Bunz to name a few off the top of my head.

Yup. Chase is a really good one. Although hes not finished yet. I dont think its wrong to be pumped about a guy like Chase, or Bear or Paigin or Jones. I mean when independant "scouts" or media guys that are connected with Oilers are pumping them, it shows they are worthy of hype.

But a lot of times with prospects they dont turn out. Hard to tell if its development or bad luck. I think its bad luck. Unless its a case like Omark, MPS, Lander, Yak where you stick them on bad 4th lines and hold them there for long periods

Plenty of good NHL D have been similar junior players to Jones, plenty of busts have been too. So I think Jones either turning into an NHL D or not is luck. Which is different than an overage BCHLer, whom you know will good certainty will bust

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yup. Chase is a really good one. Although hes not finished yet. I dont think its wrong to be pumped about a guy like Chase, or Bear or Paigin or Jones. I mean when independant "scouts" or media guys that are connected with Oilers are pumping them, it shows they are worthy of hype.

But a lot of times with prospects they dont turn out. Hard to tell if its development or bad luck. I think its bad luck. Unless its a case like Omark, MPS, Lander, Yak where you stick them on bad 4th lines and hold them there for long periods

Plenty of good NHL D have been similar junior players to Jones, plenty of busts have been too. So I think Jones either turning into an NHL D or not is luck. Which is different than an overage BCHLer, whom you know will good certainty will bust

One thing that Jones does have going for him is an older brother who will inspire him to be just as good as he is. That is a big motivation factor. Not to mention he has great genes other athletes in the family to help him make it to the pros.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone know if Seth Jones is eligible to be offersheeted? From everything I've read, the law firm of S.Jones and C.Jones could be one hell of a pairing one day.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Pretty much. Because his contract doesn't kick in until the 2016-2017 season, he needs a seperate agreement to be able to play in the AHL right now. It's pretty commonplace.

Wish we had a forward prospect or two. Bako could really use the help up front with Klinkhammer done for the year and Pitlick injured again (surprising no-one)

Gotcha, this makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Anyone know if Seth Jones is eligible to be offersheeted? From everything I've read, the law firm of S.Jones and C.Jones could be one hell of a pairing one day.

I can't think of a sane offer sheet they would not match. We are better off finding a trade if we want to go that route, and I doubt that's happening.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Anyone think Columbus will be willing to part ways with Seth Jones?

It seems like oilers offered Nuge to Nashville but they liked Johanson Better.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
When our organization has THE most valuable asset in the NHL, do you really want to piss off the other 29 other teams from an offer sheet.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
When our organization has THE most valuable asset in the NHL, do you really want to piss off the other 29 other teams from an offer sheet.

I don't think us being nice and polite would stop any team from offersheeting McDavid in the first place

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Wasn't sure where to share this, so I figured it would be a good idea to dust off this old thread and bump it up; Caleb Jones is a significant prospect in our system and have seen him on a lot of different trade proposals through out HF. I admit I am a little perplexed when I see some of these proposals as defensive prospects with his projected talent don't often get traded. His head coach Mike Johnson has said on multiple occasions that Caleb "for sure" has NHL talent and that the Oilers organization is excited about him.

This was the second time a local television channel had featured Caleb Jones last week and though it would be an interesting share on his thread.

Oh and also can't get enough of this.

Last edited:

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Wasn't sure where to share this, so I figured it would be a good idea to dust off this old thread and bump it up; Caleb Jones is a significant prospect in our system and have seen him on a lot of different trade proposals through out HF. I admit I am a little perplexed when I see some of these proposals as defensive prospects with his projected talent don't often get traded. His head coach Mike Johnson has said on multiple occasions that Caleb "for sure" has NHL talent and that the Oilers organization is excited about him.

This was the second time a local television channel had featured Caleb Jones last week and though it would be an interesting share on his thread.

Oh and also can't get enough of this.

Remove everything but the code at the end of the link for YT embeds

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Jones is getting close to untradeable for me. Obviously id include him in a major deal for a top line NHLer. But at this TDL ill hold on to him for anything less. Jones just strikes me as a project that has ALL the tools and on top of that dynamic ability AND his tool box for all those tools. I have a gut feeling this dude is going to end up as something good, maybe even a #3 D. Hes going to turn a ton of heads pretty soon.

Id actually put some good odds on him staying with the big club for first 15 games of next season or maybe even making club outright

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Jones is getting close to untradeable for me. Obviously id include him in a major deal for a top line NHLer. But at this TDL ill hold on to him for anything less. Jones just strikes me as a project that has ALL the tools and on top of that dynamic ability AND his tool box for all those tools. I have a gut feeling this dude is going to end up as something good, maybe even a #3 D. Hes going to turn a ton of heads pretty soon.

Id actually put some good odds on him staying with the big club for first 15 games of next season or maybe even making club outright

Yeah, I wouldn't think that would be beyond the realm of possibility and it also helps that he can play both right and left side. Agree that his got dynamic ability and NHL quality tools. I think because he's a late bloomer (size and skill wise) in relation to some of the D men picked ahead of him his draft year; there is a good chance we have something special. Bob Green mentioned, during an interview on Oilers now that he really liked the way he moves the puck quick and among other things, he mentioned that they really liked their pre-draft interview with Caleb. That's not the first time that's been mentioned and I think that correlates with having a good "toolbox" the kid is smart.

Another thing I've noticed, and this might seem a little off topic is that whenever I watch Portland play Seattle or during the WJC, Caleb always seems to own Barzel. He just looks better, faster, stronger and shuts him down and better prospect overall. Now I am sure the circumstances are much more dynamic when drafting players but I can't help and wonder in hindsight, if Caleb would have been a first rounder in the 2015 re-draft .

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Yeah I'm starting to get really excited about Jones too. Could be the first late round steal in the draft by the Oilers in a very long time. He has all the tools to be a top-end defenseman in the NHL. Hopefully he can keep working on his game and get there. Looking forward to seeing his transition to the pros next year. Could see him having a big adjustment period coming in initially but after spending 20+ games in the AHL settle in really nicely and perhaps even getting some games with the big club if the injury bug hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad