Friedman: Oilers roster move coming soon?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Lucic is retained at 50% he actually has some positive value. If that is the ask for a minor leaguer I think Edmonton is better served making a deal with Seattle (whom we think Lucic is likely to waive for) for a pick and Lucic in the expansion.

Although he was dismal after Christmas last year and the beginning this season, what is really not acknowledged on these boards or anywhere outside of Edmonton, is Lucic has actually been play good hockey lately. He has a couple of goals and is looking mean and engaged. That is the player Edmonton fans have been waiting on. He is still slow, but he hasn't been a detriment to the team on the ice like has was before. This isn't a narrative that fits with "Lucic sucks give me a 1st and retention and maybe I'll give you scraps" thing that has been going on here for a while.

So no, I don't see a 50% retained Lucic being traded for a journeyman player.

This. Lucic can fit in our bottom six without being a detriment to us, he's just way overpaid for that role. He looks like he's over whatever was making him so bad in 2018, so I don't mind just keeping him. It's more important to find takers for Manning, Benning, Talbot, Spooner and Petrovic to me - you know, the UFA's and actual garbage players that we have. Strangely enough, that's 13 million in garbage that we could put towards big improvements elsewhere in the lineup (ie, middle six wingers).

Reactions: TFHockey

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can't see a world where Lucic would be desirable to any team. At this point, he is a slower, older Marcus Foligno who is paid over twice as much, for twice as long.

It's almost like McDavid is a detriment to the Oilers bottoming out, and coming to grips with their awful situation. He alone(and the mediocrity in the West) gives them a puncher's chance to make the playoffs, lessening their chances of getting young ELC talent through the draft, and creating the illusion that they are better than they are.

EDM really needs to have a "come to jesus" moment like TOR did a few years ago, chop some heads, make some good hires, AND have some luck procuring better players. Will McDavid stand for a couple/few of years of awfulness, though? I'm guessing not....the guy's a competitor, young, and wanting to win now.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I can't see a world where Lucic would be desirable to any team. At this point, he is a slower, older Marcus Foligno who is paid over twice as much, for twice as long.

It's almost like McDavid is a detriment to the Oilers bottoming out, and coming to grips with their awful situation. He alone(and the mediocrity in the West) gives them a puncher's chance to make the playoffs, lessening their chances of getting young ELC talent through the draft, and creating the illusion that they are better than they are.

EDM really needs to have a "come to jesus" moment like TOR did a few years ago, chop some heads, make some good hires, AND have some luck procuring better players. Will McDavid stand for a couple/few of years of awfulness, though? I'm guessing not....the guy's a competitor, young, and wanting to win now.

I agree. There needs to be a culling. Anyone that advocated for the Reinhart, Hall, or Eberle deals need to be shown the door. Can the entire pro scouting and cap management staff as well. Amateur scouting has improved so keep them around.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
A few savvy trades for quality wingers and I think talent-wise they could be a bubble team. Unfortunately their cap has them screwed for at least 2-3 years.

I'd be targeting guys like Schwartz and Buchnevich. High end players that have struggled. You're not going to get a guy producing like a top liner at this point.

All that said, I have no faith in the Old Boys Club bringing in someone who is
a)useful, and
b) given autonomy to do his own thing.

I think that earlier timeline of 5 years is probably accurate.

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
Is this nuts?

PHI: deals Stolarz
EDM: for Talbot

As a Philly fan Talbot could be a decent tandem with Hart in the future assuming they could resign him but I wouldn't give anything of substance for Talbot who's a UFA. Stolarz likely done in Philly after the year and not sure about Edmonton goalie pipeline but Stolie is 25 with possible upside if he can stay healthy and solves the Oilers immediate cap situation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They could, but very few fans here think Sekera can come back at all.
It doesn't matter what a bunch of nobodies on a message board think. What matters is what Sekera, his agent and his doctors think. If he is cleared and wants to play, he'll be back.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A few savvy trades for quality wingers and I think talent-wise they could be a bubble team. Unfortunately their cap has them screwed for at least 2-3 years.

I'd be targeting guys like Schwartz and Buchnevich. High end players that have struggled. You're not going to get a guy producing like a top liner at this point.

All that said, I have no faith in the Old Boys Club bringing in someone who is
a)useful, and
b) given autonomy to do his own thing.

I think that earlier timeline of 5 years is probably accurate.
This really isn't true if the team makes smart moves. Next year is by far the tightest year in the next three but even so they have a number of options to open up space to improve their roster. After that things start to open up fairly quickly if they don't sign any bone head contracts.

I do agree though that targeting skilled guys who have struggled is probably the safe route.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
It doesn't matter what a bunch of nobodies on a message board think. What matters is what Sekera, his agent and his doctors think. If he is cleared and wants to play, he'll be back.
My question wouldn't be whether he's cleared to play, but what level of play you're going to get when he returns.

He's not young, and he's had some tough injuries.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Well that is true about all things hockey, isn't it? Doesn't keep you, me or anyone else from posting though.

I suspect IF he returns to action he'll be sent to the AHL (requiring a roster move from Edmonton) and kept there. On the flip side I'd be thrilled if he returned to form. A 2016 Sekera would do wonders for our blueline.

Reactions: Szechwan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My question wouldn't be whether he's cleared to play, but what level of play you're going to get when he returns.

He's not young, and he's had some tough injuries.
That is certainly the million dollar question. If he doesn't have it, I suspect he will be bought out.

Well that is true about all things hockey, isn't it? Doesn't keep you, me or anyone else from posting though.

I suspect IF he returns to action he'll be sent to the AHL (requiring a roster move from Edmonton) and kept there. On the flip side I'd be thrilled if he returned to form. A 2016 Sekera would do wonders for our blueline.
He may go to the AHL on a two week conditioning stint, but his NMC will stop him from staying there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad