Friedman: Oilers roster move coming soon?

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Pietrangelo, Maroon and a conditional 1st for Draisaitl.

Addresses two needs with quality players, while clearing a bit of salary. The 1st is in play if Pietrangelo doesn't extend.

Or

Schwartz, Pietrangelo and a 2nd for Draisaitl and Nurse.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Addresses two needs with quality players, while clearing a bit of salary. The 1st is in play if Pietrangelo doesn't extend.

Or

Pass. The Oilers need to add offense
Schwartz 36GP 21Pts
Pietreangelo 38GP 19Pts
Maroon 41GP 14Pts
All Players 54Pts

Draisaitl 50GP 61Pts
Nurse 50GP 24Pts

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I know...

But seriously, does the new GM (i think Gretzky) have the right to make trades?

I don't *think* he can make big moves without authorization. Small trades? Probably. Also he is undoubtedly auditioning for the GM role. I bet he will be very careful with whatever moves he makes, if any.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Why is the rest of the league so eager to fix them?

It’s been such a fun show to watch for the past decade or so.

Reactions: McTusk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
From his blog:
This is hilarious, because just last week I was told by someone on here that Sekera was done and wouldn't be back even next year :laugh:

Although, if the Oilers do not have cap space, they simply cannot activate Sekera. I know the Hawks did this with someone a few years back, kept a guy on LTIR until the playoffs when LTIR and the salary cap no longer are factors. Although, I think that was only a week or two, if the Oilers try doing it for two months, the NHLPA could file a grievance.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
This is hilarious, because just last week I was told by someone on here that Sekera was done and wouldn't be back even next year :laugh:

Although, if the Oilers do not have cap space, they simply cannot activate Sekera. I know the Hawks did this with someone a few years back, kept a guy on LTIR until the playoffs when LTIR and the salary cap no longer are factors. Although, I think that was only a week or two, if the Oilers try doing it for two months, the NHLPA could file a grievance.

Yup. Conditioning stints are for a maximum 14 days.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

They could, but very few fans here think Sekera can come back at all.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The guy that just got fired could probably tell you.

I could sum it up, though:

Milan Lucic 6 mil
Kris Russell 4 mil
Ryan Spooner 3.1 mil
Brandon Manning 2.25 mil
Cam Talbot 4.16 mil
Andrej Sekera 5.5 mil
Zack Kassian 1.9 mil
Matt Benning 1.9 mil

That’s nearly 30 million bucks and the absolute best player on that list today - by a mile - is Kris Russell.
Now that Chia is out, how willing is Edmonton to retain on some of these bad deals he brought in? I’d specifically be interested in Lucic and Spooner at maximum or near maximum retention.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Now that Chia is out, how willing is Edmonton to retain on some of these bad deals he brought in? I’d specifically be interested in Lucic and Spooner at maximum or near maximum retention.

If the right offer came along, why not?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
change of scenery cap neutral deal:
Buchnevich for Poolparty
both .925 expiring elcs turning rfa

cap relief
Smith for Sekera
Oil get approx 1.x instant cap relief, same term

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Spooner wouldn't be too bad for us as 900k is already being paid by NYR, so there is only 3.1mil left.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Chicago, LA, Oilers, red wings. Of course the teams at the bottom have cap problems. It's a cap league.
I can understand Chicago and l.a they were rewarding players that won the cup. if you constantly finish 25th or worse you should have no cap issues.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I’d imagine they’d be somewhat open to it.

Don’t expect Lucic at max retention to be packaged with something good and return garbage, though. IMO Lucic at 3 million has positive value.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The right offer? I was thinking something along the lines of Lucic with 50% retention for a career minor-leaguer in his 30s, who happens to have a two-way contract. Would that work?

If Lucic is retained at 50% he actually has some positive value. If that is the ask for a minor leaguer I think Edmonton is better served making a deal with Seattle (whom we think Lucic is likely to waive for) for a pick and Lucic in the expansion.

Although he was dismal after Christmas last year and the beginning this season, what is really not acknowledged on these boards or anywhere outside of Edmonton, is Lucic has actually been play good hockey lately. He has a couple of goals and is looking mean and engaged. That is the player Edmonton fans have been waiting on. He is still slow, but he hasn't been a detriment to the team on the ice like has was before. This isn't a narrative that fits with "Lucic sucks give me a 1st and retention and maybe I'll give you scraps" thing that has been going on here for a while.

So no, I don't see a 50% retained Lucic being traded for a journeyman player.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
The Oilers are what... 3 points out? They've been playing without 2 of their top 4. If Sekera and Klefbom get back, I could still see them making a run at the playoffs. Chicago and LA are out of it in the West - that's about it. Also, I read someplace that Edmonton's still selling out games - man, that fan base doesn't get enough credit. To still support a team after this run of futility? Tip of my cap to you all.

Reactions: TFHockey

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Or

Pass. I'd take Maroon back but he has little value so I'd offer something like Manning for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad