Friedman: Oilers roster move coming soon?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
trying to figure out. are the Oiler fans in denial or do they just not have a clue? they are screwed. Lucic has 4 more years. Sekera has 2 more years and russell has 2 more years as well and spooner for one more year in the AHL. Sorry oiler fans--close up shop for the next 24 months. You guys are done

Every post you write about the Oilers and their fans is negative. Every. One.

If you hate the team so much why bother reading threads about them?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I expect Rieder to be flipped to a team like Pittsburgh for a prospect or pick.

Rieder, Talbot and Petrovic all stand out as guys who playoff-bound teams might value as rentals.

Spooner will probably be moved in a dollar in, dollar out type deal. I'm guessing Ottawa.

Outside of those four, not much else I see moving unless somebody likes Kassian enough to eat another year of that contract.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
McDavid, Leo and RNH are nice but... Throw the rest in a fire... Awful roster!

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I don't think a deal needs to be done desperately right now. Once both Klef and Sekera come back the Oilers will be 150k over the cap....and 9 dmen...:laugh: What the hell was Chiarelli thinking

Brandon Manning could be sent down and a forward that makes 925k and less could be brought up. Which is pretty much any waiver exempt player most likely will be brought up. Or Brad Malone or Patrick Russell possibly...idk

I'll be very very mad if we lose Manning to a waiver claim...lol.

I'd prefer to keep all the younger guys down to continue developing.

On the down side, I don't know exactly what Puljujarvi's bonuses are, but we might get slapped with a bit of a carryover overages next season if he does receive some. Not a huge deal.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
The manning deal still blows my mind. How did that happen? Good gravy.

It completely makes zero sense to anyone. Oilers got screwed player for player, and exchange of 750k cap hit the Oilers couldn't afford to take on. I hope in the end Manning ups his game and becomes a valuable replacement when needed.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Montreal won't pay 1,2 millions real money more for Talbot over Niemi for the rest of the year for a frickin 5th round pick. I also disagree with saying Talbot is an upgrade; he is a downgrade.

In what way is he a downgrade? He's got better numbers playing behind a worse team this year. He's also 1 1/2 seasons removed from being a legit # 1 who almost carried his team to the conference finals if it weren't for Kesler #metoo-ing him and getting away with it.

I'm not saying it's some earth shattering win for the Habs, but they gain a pick and improve on their backup. The real dollars are inconsequential - ownership has deep pockets - and the cap hit is irrelevant because the Habs have 9+ mil in cap space and are unlikely to need all of that going all in when they seem to be in a re-tool that is surprisingly ahead of schedule.

Unless you guys are taking a run at Duchene/Stone at the trade deadline, I don't see how that cap space is important.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
In what way is he a downgrade? He's got better numbers playing behind a worse team this year. He's also 1 1/2 seasons removed from being a legit # 1 who almost carried his team to the conference finals if it weren't for Kesler #metoo-ing him and getting away with it.

I'm not saying it's some earth shattering win for the Habs, but they gain a pick and improve on their backup. The real dollars are inconsequential - ownership has deep pockets - and the cap hit is irrelevant because the Habs have 9+ mil in cap space and are unlikely to need all of that going all in when they seem to be in a re-tool that is surprisingly ahead of schedule.

Unless you guys are taking a run at Duchene/Stone at the trade deadline, I don't see how that cap space is important.

The only win in that deal is the Oilers getting a lot of cap space before the deadline, which they need if its true they want to add flexibilty to make moves at the deadline/get Sekera back/etc. Montreal does not need the cap space, but it should not mean they should run the risk to affect their room by trading a guy that is loved to help another team get capspace. I don't think a 5th round pick buys you 1,2 million dollars of real money (3.2 millions in cap space) either, rich owner or not.

If buying out a full year of Steve Mason (2,7 millions of real money) cost the Jets Joel Armia, 4th + 7th round pick, I think Montreal should expect at least an 3rd round pick for that.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Of all the stupid things Chiarelli did, Caggiula for Manning might be the most indefensible.
as opposed to Hall for Larsson?

It was just the latest indefensibile stupid thing.

I am hoping for a Yzerman like job from the new guy. Yzerman took over a cap mess and built a contender, we need that as we have the core.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
McDavid, Leo and RNH are nice but... Throw the rest in a fire... Awful roster!

I would not throw Khaira, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Puljujarvi, Jones, Yamamoto in the fire either. That is 10 of 23 to build from. A few from this list may be casualties to try and fix holes or upgrade, our other 13 positions. those 13 are killer bad as a group.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The guy that just got fired could probably tell you.

I could sum it up, though:

Milan Lucic 6 mil
Kris Russell 4 mil
Ryan Spooner 3.1 mil
Brandon Manning 2.25 mil
Cam Talbot 4.16 mil
Andrej Sekera 5.5 mil
Zack Kassian 1.9 mil
Matt Benning 1.9 mil

That’s nearly 30 million bucks and the absolute best player on that list today - by a mile - is Kris Russell.
The sad part is that not a single one of those deals expire this year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Every post you write about the Oilers and their fans is negative. Every. One.

If you hate the team so much why bother reading threads about them?

It is easy to see he was bullied by a person that wore an Oilers jersey . All he remembers is that beat down from kids with a Oilers logo . I wonder if his name is Chip

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
no idea how a team near the bottom of the league has cap issues.

edmonton-oilers-general-manager-peter-chiarelli-talks-to-the.jpeg

Reactions: TCB

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
A 15-16 Sekera would do wonders for this team. Plus adding Klefbom back and Oilers might be able to do some damage down the strench if they add another top six forward.
Yeah, he wasn't poor value until the injuries which are impossible to predict.
If he's fully recovered he can help.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
In terms of notable guys with NHL upside?

Jones, Bear, Yamamoto, Benson (runaway AHL assist leader for rookies), Marody (22, AHL all star), Samorukov, Kemp (both of the last two were at the WJC’s and played key roles for Russia and USA) Safin (would have been at the WJC if not for injury) McLeod, Maksimov (30 goals in 44 games in the OHL as a 19 year old) Skinner (outduelled Hart in last years WHL playoffs) Wells, Rodrigue.

That’s just off the top of my head.
They look better than the Oilers' existing lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad