GDT: Oilers rookies @ Flames rookies - 7pm

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Benson's injuries put him way behind the 8 ball. That isn't any positive or mulligan, it hurts his chances of ever making it.

Really at this point expecting him to be as much as a Nuge or Gagner is dreaming in technicolor. Both of those guys walked on as 18yr olds and not only made the show, but were exceptional in rookie seasons, in the NHL.

With Benson we're talking about a one dimensional player that is supposed to be an offensive spark plug of the team that never even turned over the ignition in two full games and a bit of OT. As Aerchon correctly mentions this is the weakest opposition Benson etal will face this preseason. They were run over.

The key point is that Benson is not a one dimensional player at all. Far from it.

As others have pointed out Benson and Marody dominated the AHL as rookies over a whole season. That tells you far more about their skills than the results we see in these two rather meaningless games. In the case of Marody I think there are some legitimate questions about how his game will translate to the NHL. But Benson's game is very much suited to the NHL.

Frankly, Benson showed me a lot of what I was looking for in him during these two games. But what I was not looking for was for him to be some dynamic offensive spark plug. It's not his game, nor will it ever be.

Every year these rookie games are analysed to death. But every year they also prove to be essentially useless in predicting how players will fair at the NHL level. Last time I looked Magnus Paajarvi was still waiting to get that Hart Trophy that they mistakenly inscribed Taylor Hall's name on.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Benson looked weak as shit on the boards. He also has no shot..hence..all assists. Not impressive at all, especially along the boards

Marody tried to be a superstar waay to often and didn't have that extra move/gear. Overall, he did too much and failed waay too often

Samaroukov got turnstilled waay too often

Bouchard has that extra gear and played pretty solid but was dumbied by his team

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Benson looked weak as **** on the boards. He also has no shot..hence..all assists. Not impressive at all, especially along the boards

Marody tried to be a superstar waay to often and didn't have that extra move/gear. Overall, he did too much and failed waay too often

Samaroukov got turnstilled waay too often

Bouchard has that extra gear and played pretty solid but was dumbied by his team

Benson is a complimentary winger in the making, Marody is a guy that could go either way, so at least Bouchard showed well as he's the most important of the bunch. Next up is the games that start separating the men from the boys, that's when the real fun starts.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
De Jong and Desharnais were the worst skating D pair I’ve ever seen in an NHL uniform. It was so bad live.

Rodrigue looked good, Bouchard looked pretty decent but had those mental defensive lapses. His puck moving is great though. Samorukov looked out of place lots had one nice hit. Benson played okay, his skating still needs work.

The truth is it was ugly live, really bad. I don’t honestly believe anyone is NHL ready based on the last couple games.

It looked really bad on TV as well. I was surprised with Sammy. He threw one hit but was invisible. I thought Saifin looked ok. He showed a good set of hands. Seen him play live in Halifax various times and he was terrible, 4th line. Injuries were hard on him recently.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Benson fine? All he did was give the puck away. Brain dead blind passes.

They had a hard on for Benson at draft. I heard kid was unreal in Bantam but injuries really got him in jr. Just to think, Debrincat was there and we passed. This could turn out to be a very bad draft for us.

Puju
Benson
Niemelainen
Cairns
Berglund
Wells
McPhee
Rasanen
Desharnais

Will any of these make it?

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I was at the game. The oilers were much larger, the flames were smaller and faster. In a preseason with no structure or systems play, the faster guys will always look better.

Bouchard is clearly not ready, pretty disappointing to watch his defensive miscues. There is definatley a player there but needs a full year in the AHL/

Samurokov is pretty interesting. A steal of a draft pick because he has some serious potential

Marody does not have the speed or sense to be a meaningful nhl player. He might end up a bottom 6 because he seems to have some desire.

Benson seemed engaged at times. I almost wonder if his biggest goal was to not get injured as the Flames had a bunch of guys with n0 NHL chances this year and looking to make an impact.

It is uncanny how much McLeod reminds me of RNH. He looks like him, skates like him, plays a lot like him. I wonder if we have a player here in a year or two.

Lastly, I cannot believe how poor the game experience is at the saddledome. If I close my eyes, there is nothing new from 15 years ago. Terrible food, boring music and off ice entertainment. The lower bowl was completely full and they had 2 food kiosks open. If your kids wanted something during the first intermission, you ended up missing most of the 2nd period.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Let me preface this by saying that I only watched the back half of the 2nd period of tonight's game. IMO Bouchard would be best served to get lots of AHL ice this season to work on his defensive reads and positioning so that he can hopefully be better than a Jultz defensively. Play him 30 minutes a night on the farm so that hopefully when he's ready for the next step he will be capable of handling 20 minutes a night at the NHL level if need be.

Maksimov has shat the bed the last 2 rookie camps. Hopefully he has a solid rookie pro season to show brass that he can get it done at the pro level.

Pretty dis-appointed with him. In his rookie camp, he looked really good. The last 2 have been terrible. Where is this NHL shot he has?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I was at the game. The oilers were much larger, the flames were smaller and faster. In a preseason with no structure or systems play, the faster guys will always look better.

Bouchard is clearly not ready, pretty disappointing to watch his defensive miscues. There is definatley a player there but needs a full year in the AHL/

Samurokov is pretty interesting. A steal of a draft pick because he has some serious potential

Marody does not have the speed or sense to be a meaningful nhl player. He might end up a bottom 6 because he seems to have some desire.

Benson seemed engaged at times. I almost wonder if his biggest goal was to not get injured as the Flames had a bunch of guys with n0 NHL chances this year and looking to make an impact.

It is uncanny how much McLeod reminds me of RNH. He looks like him, skates like him, plays a lot like him. I wonder if we have a player here in a year or two.

Lastly, I cannot believe how poor the game experience is at the saddledome. If I close my eyes, there is nothing new from 15 years ago. Terrible food, boring music and off ice entertainment. The lower bowl was completely full and they had 2 food kiosks open. If your kids wanted something during the first intermission, you ended up missing most of the 2nd period.

McLeod has great wheels but didn't accomplish anything. Hopefully he picks it up at main camp. What did u think of Saifin?

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Benson was the only person who showed up for the game yesterday. He's obviously not in midseason form, but he came to play.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
They had a hard on for Benson at draft. I heard kid was unreal in Bantam but injuries really got him in jr. Just to think, Debrincat was there and we passed. This could turn out to be a very bad draft for us.

Puju
Benson
Niemelainen
Cairns
Berglund
Wells
McPhee
Rasanen
Desharnais

Will any of these make it?
I'd say Benson is close to a lock to be a useful NHL player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
These games stunk and there's no need to sugarcoat that but man alive are some folks absurdly overreacting to these two games especially the Marody and Benson comments.
Lets just ignore their entire AHL rookie season in real games and focus on these 2 meaningless games to assume that they aren't or will never be ready for the big show. HFOil at its absolute worst.

I have my reservations about these two as well but it most certainly isn't based on these two scrimmages.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Remember when we swept the rookie tourney for like 3 straight seasons......it didn’t mean **** then and it doesn’t mean **** now.

Except then we weren't heading into McDavids 5th year while missing the playoffs for 12 of the last 13 years....

It means something now. Let's not kid ourselves.

North

Jun 25, 2009
These games stunk and there's no need to sugarcoat that but man alive are some folks absurdly overreacting to these two games especially the Marody and Benson comments.
Lets just ignore their entire AHL rookie season in real games and focus on these 2 meaningless games to assume that they aren't or will never be ready for the big show. HFOil at its absolute worst.

I have my reservations about these two as well but it most certainly isn't based on these two scrimmages.

All of this.

I’m not even sure what people expect out of Benson. I believe he’ll be a good complementary winger but I don’t think he’s going to be a superstar.

With Marody, one thing we all knew last year was his skating needs to get better if he wants to take the next step. Unfortunately he focused on muscle this off season.

Making decisions based on two prospect games that lacked structure and had a bunch of guys playing together who haven’t played together for awhile or hadn’t played together at all is incredibly shortsighted.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Pretty tough to get a good read on these guys with the lack of system in place.

Liked how feisty Benson was out there. Definitely going to get a good long look at camp. Good hands and vision. Could see him thriving with either pair in the top six.

Marody looked like he was trying to much. Looks like he gained a step and can tell he got stronger over the summer.

Samorukovs defense wasn't the greatest. Looked good moving the puck and being physical.

Mcleods defense looked good, would have liked to see him try some more things offensively.

Bouchard's defense is a little lackadaisical to be in the NHL this year. Loved his offense though, sky's the limit for him in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad