Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Yamamoto & Lagesson

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Looks better than Jones in my opinion. Not a better skater but his defensive abilities are better and his passing is on par with Jones.

I would disagree. I actually thought Jones looked better than Lagesson so far. He's a much better skater and has shown more offensive talent. (Lagesson's only played a couple of games, obviously, so that can and should change with time, but he has looked too slow for the NHL so far). I really liked Jones' assist to Yamamoto last game.

Reactions: guymez

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Yeah Jones has had more games in the NHL. I think
I would disagree. I actually thought Jones looked better than Lagesson so far. He's a much better skater and has shown more offensive talent. (Lagesson's only played a couple of games, obviously, so that can and should change with time, but he has looked too slow for the NHL so far). I really liked Jones' assist to Yamamoto last game.
Lagasson is gonna be another klefbom. Maybe poor man's by a tad.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

I’d love to say I agree but I dont think he skates half as good as Klefbom. He reminds me of Matt Greene a bit. Thick build. I think he can be a player but I’m not convinced due to mobility.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I’d love to say I agree but I dont think he skates half as good as Klefbom. He reminds me of Matt Greene a bit. Thick build. I think he can be a player but I’m not convinced due to mobility.
We're lucky then. Mobility is something you can easily achieve through enough focussed training.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

No idea what you're seeing in this player to suggest he'll be anything like Klefbom.

We're lucky then. Mobility is something you can easily achieve through enough focussed training.

Not really, if it was that easy Griffin Reinhart wouldn't be the massive bust that he is.

Actually the Oilers have a long line of defenders who weren't mobile enough to stick in the NHL.

Reactions: Aerrol

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018

I really hope so. His skating is probably his biggest weakness so far, and seeing the improvement with guys like Draisaitl gives me a lot of hope for improvement for Lags.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Not really, if it was that easy Griffin Reinhart wouldn't be the massive bust that he is.

Actually the Oilers have a long line of defenders who weren't mobile enough to stick in the NHL.
Reinhart had many other flaws too. That dude just couldn't hockey good enough. Lagesson is universe steps away from the same faith. He will figure it out.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I really hope so. His skating is probably his biggest weakness so far, and seeing the improvement with guys like Draisaitl gives me a lot of hope for improvement for Lags.

He's turning 24 in about a month. Huge developmental curves can possibly happen at that age, but it isn't very likely IMO. I think we are looking at a 6-7 D-man if he manages to stick.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
It's good to see him improving and I remember thinking exactly like you but we are getting way ahead of ourselves. He is still struggling with the size/speed of the and and will require more time than most.

We must be watching different players out there. Yamamoto hasn't struggled with the speed or size at all. I would argue he has won more puck battles then he has lost so far.

He has definitely shown the lateral quickness a lot of the keyboard warriors argued he didn't have as well.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
We must be watching different players out there. Yamamoto hasn't struggled with the speed or size at all. I would argue he has won more puck battles then he has lost so far.

He has definitely shown the lateral quickness a lot of the keyboard warriors argued he didn't have as well.
We were arguing he wasnt fast enough because he wasnt. Never, during the last two years, was he either fast enough to blow by an NHL defenseman, or shifty enough to make one miss. I was very excited when I watched him the first time this year and he looked far faster. Pointing out a reality doesnt make someone a “keyboard warrior.”

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Reinhart had many other flaws too. That dude just couldn't hockey good enough. Lagesson is universe steps away from the same faith. He will figure it out.

Reinhart did have other issues like the fact that he was big but not physical but he was also a guy who made good reads but he's just not mobile enough.

I'm not really sure what you proclaiming he will figure it out holds as far as a valid argument.

Lagesson has shown more offense in the AHL in Bakersfield than expected which is good and more than Reinhart but that wasn't your point.

Your point was that mobility can easily be fixed and that simply isn't true.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
We were arguing he wasnt fast enough because he wasnt. Never, during the last two years, was he either fast enough to blow by an NHL defenseman, or shifty enough to make one miss. I was very excited when I watched him the first time this year and he looked far faster. Pointing out a reality doesnt make someone a “keyboard warrior.”

Yeah people who admitted they hadn't watched him play at all in Bakersfield were arguing he was too small and not fast enough.

Maybe it doesn't make them a keyboard warrior but it makes their opinions on a player easily misinformed.

Reactions: KYams17

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yeah people who admitted they hadn't watched him play at all in Bakersfield were arguing he was too small and not fast enough.

Maybe it doesn't make them a keyboard warrior but it makes their opinions on a player easily misinformed.

Keyboard warriors aside. I followed Yamamoto in preseason. Watched him live in the rookie tourney.

He was neither fast or shifty at any point in preason. That's why he was cut so quickly/easily.

I'm glad he has improved so much as the season has gone on and hope it continues. But, imo, he is still struggling with the speed and size of the nhl game. He gets knocked down more than anyone on the ice still. His separation/shiftyness has improved a lot but is not consistent.

He still has not beat an nhl goalie with his shot yet either. A big concern for me in a player that is supposed to be a goalscorer.

⛸⛸

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
No idea what you're seeing in this player to suggest he'll be anything like Klefbom.

It's actually really interesting for a team that used to value playing "Oilers hockey" (less so now I guess) that we have very consistently over-valued size in our defenders. All during a time period when the entire league was moving more towards a more mobile back end. The only real exception to this that I can think about recently would have been Schultz. That wheel does seem to be turning at least a bit though this year, with the selection of Broberg, who for all his faults, skating isn't one of them, and Bear playing as much as he has with the big club.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lagesson in the AHL looks pretty mobile to me. In the NHL games (2) he's looked a tad slow and tentative but GR slow? Heck, no.

I still prefer Lagesson's smarter game than Jones' higher-risk (with his brainfarts) play. Who knows... maybe Lagesson's style isn't fast enough for the NHL.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He's turning 24 in about a month. Huge developmental curves can possibly happen at that age, but it isn't very likely IMO. I think we are looking at a 6-7 D-man if he manages to stick.
That’s what people said about Bear. Maybe even Marino. Look at both now

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Did you even watch the AHL this year?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Reinhart did have other issues like the fact that he was big but not physical but he was also a guy who made good reads but he's just not mobile enough.

I'm not really sure what you proclaiming he will figure it out holds as far as a valid argument.

Lagesson has shown more offense in the AHL in Bakersfield than expected which is good and more than Reinhart but that wasn't your point.

Your point was that mobility can easily be fixed and that simply isn't true.
Raabhart said Reinhart will be a top pairing Dman

Reactions: McCanovin

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Indeed. In previous incarnations here Yama was having trouble getting open for passes and being puck support. Some of this seemed due to failure to separate but other instances were Yama inexplicably moving into traffic. So that even one of the greatest passers in the game, Draisaitl, was having trouble finding Yama.

Yama currently is providing better puck support, anticipating and going to open ice better, and is definitely getting in on forecheck faster, or at least more effectively.

Will be interesting to see how long he can keep this up as he's playing at a high pace. The team is wisely managing his minutes, he played less than 15 in Toronto, which would be around his cap as a small energy player.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We really let Marino slip away. I'm hoping we don't do the same with Berglund. I have a feeling he's going to be rock solid for us and the one to replace Larsson

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As far as goal scoring it remains to be seen how effective Yama will be. He had the whole net to shoot at there on a perfect long cross ice feed. For a goalie that was no mans land as it was impossible to determine if the pass was to Nuge in the slot, or to Yama. Thus preventing goalie from fully committing to the move across to the other side of net. When the puck is shot by Yama, most of the net is open. A large part of that being due to the Oilers having another target in the slot.

Nice passing play by Drai and Jones but really against a heinous Toronto D allowing virtually everything across which few of our opponents tend to allow lately.

Toronto is just a very bad team in own end. Two passes in succession are allowed cross ice leading to that goal. Leafs are defending air. Really they're just watching the play.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Keyboard warriors aside. I followed Yamamoto in preseason. Watched him live in the rookie tourney.

He was neither fast or shifty at any point in preason. That's why he was cut so quickly/easily.

I'm glad he has improved so much as the season has gone on and hope it continues. But, imo, he is still struggling with the speed and size of the nhl game. He gets knocked down more than anyone on the ice still. His separation/shiftyness has improved a lot but is not consistent.

He still has not beat an nhl goalie with his shot yet either. A big concern for me in a player that is supposed to be a goalscorer.

⛸⛸

Yamo didn't even play in the preseason this year IIRC. He was injured and was sent down immediately upon activation.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

I doubt any of us had even seen Marino play. I certainly didn't before he made the NHL.

I mean it's some what normal to see guys make good strides in skating in fitness in their teens and early 20s. I would say its pretty uncommon for guys that are 24-25 to make a big leap suddenly.

I won't close the door on Lagesson making some kind of leap forward development wise, but its pretty rare for guys in that age range of 24-25.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
As far as goal scoring it remains to be seen how effective Yama will be. He had the whole net to shoot at there on a perfect long cross ice feed. For a goalie that was no mans land as it was impossible to determine if the pass was to Nuge in the slot, or to Yama. Thus preventing goalie from fully committing to the move across to the other side of net. When the puck is shot by Yama, most of the net is open. A large part of that being due to the Oilers having another target in the slot.

Nice passing play by Drai and Jones but really against a heinous Toronto D allowing virtually everything across which few of our opponents tend to allow lately.

Toronto is just a very bad team in own end. Two passes in succession are allowed cross ice leading to that goal. Leafs are defending air. Really they're just watching the play.

It was a nice play by Yams though to get open. He was blatantly interfered with beforehand by Rielly, he got back up, gave him a little push and then got open for the one-timer. But yeah, I was really impressed by Jones' pass. (And Drai's obviously, but that's just the norm from him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad