Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Yamamoto & Lagesson

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I think Lagesson is the future brick wall on Oilers. They could maybe even now trade Adam Larsson. Even if Im his fellow countryman, Larsson will never become a top pair D man. He is a shutdown, stay at home defenceman, who doesnt have any offensive talent. Sorry, but that is what he is. Lagesson can absolutley pass Larsson as a player. Once Lagesson find the timing with the hits, he will.

I agree - looks like Larsson hit his ceiling around 2017 and is slowly regressing.

If the Oilers groom lagesson correctly , I could see him being a very steady player on the Oilers blue line.

So do you live in Sweden? If so how popular are the Oilers there?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
When I see Yamamoto, I think this picture could be maked some fun with.
28CScJ5.gif

Yamamoto Man

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I agree - looks like Larsson hit his ceiling around 2017 and is slowly regressing.

If the Oilers groom lagesson correctly , I could see him being a very steady player on the Oilers blue line.

So do you live in Sweden? If so how popular are the Oilers there?

In general, not that high. I think its Pittsburgh that is the most popular team. Jagr mostly, more than Lemeiux, has had a lot of impact on swedes, and there have been some swedish players in that team as well in the years. Other popular teams are the Original 6 teams, Detroit for obvious reasons, Rangers as well, then Montreal, Toronto, and of course, Colorado (read Peter Forsberg). I knew some are fans of Capitals. Calle Johansson was a popular defenseman for years in Capitals.

It may be surprising for others, that Ottawa is not a strong fanbase here in Sweden. Even if Alfredsson and Karlsson has been that franshise most important and biggest players.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I was wrong on Yamamoto. So far his size is not a problem. Not sure how a many game grind will affect him but I like his play.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Man I have seen more in Yammo than I did in all of Pool party's years lol. The eye test shows that he can play.

Now if he gains a little more lower body strength and maybe a little more quickness (he isn't slow though at all), he could elevate higher.

But, it's still a wait and see approach. A lot of guys run on adrenaline. The eye test looks good to me in this very small sample size. The main thing I like is that his positioning is fairly good and he engages physically.

He will work out the kinks in his defensive game.

Having guys graduate also helps so much down the A. Those guys will be motivated seeing that hard work can pay off. Can't wait to see Benson as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's an extremely small picture, but its Yamamoto's face. Hence the name, 'llamamoto'

Why is he planted on the ice like Sammy? heh, just ribbing with that. He's been good so far, hopefully he's charging his Eveready battery and getting his Llama naps.

Its pretty extraordinary how a small player requiring almost twice the strides can get to pucks faster than a lot of other players. Its the sort of thing that defies intuition.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why is he planted on the ice like Sammy? heh, just ribbing with that. He's been good so far, hopefully he's charging his Eveready battery and getting his Llama naps.

Its pretty extraordinary how a small player requiring almost twice the strides can get to pucks faster than a lot of other players. Its the sort of thing that defies intuition.

But by the same context, the smaller player isn't carrying the much heftier body weight that the larger player has to lug around.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But by the same context, the smaller player isn't carrying the much heftier body weight that the larger player has to lug around.

Yep, but the mass vs gravity vs limited resistance coefficient of ice doesn't compute that the small massless object would travel at a higher velocity...;)

jk around. In the limited confines of a hockey ice surface the small light player can get quick kick initial acceleration whereas on longer ice or going 200ft the McD type dragster is faster. For quick jumps and starts it can be Yamaready getting to close objects faster.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
One thing I love is what Stauffer just said. McDavid has talked about Yammo without being asked about him. They are happy to have some help (if he can keep it up).

Reactions: frag2 and KYams17

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
A thing to remember. People in NHL are smart. Yamamoto was on no one radar. Once he get dangerous, other teams are going to analyze his game, goaltenders are watching his shot and brakaways, and shooting angels. He is going in to other teams books. So I hope other will stay calm, when his succés will stagnate a bit.

When he deos, time to bring up Benson. Always good to have a trumph card in the back pocket. After that, try Joel Persson again. and so on...

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
In general, not that high. I think its Pittsburgh that is the most popular team. Jagr mostly, more than Lemeiux, has had a lot of impact on swedes, and there have been some swedish players in that team as well in the years. Other popular teams are the Original 6 teams, Detroit for obvious reasons, Rangers as well, then Montreal, Toronto, and of course, Colorado (read Peter Forsberg). I knew some are fans of Capitals. Calle Johansson was a popular defenseman for years in Capitals.

It may be surprising for others, that Ottawa is not a strong fanbase here in Sweden. Even if Alfredsson and Karlsson has been that franshise most important and biggest players.

Noticed you didn't mention the canucks either.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
A thing to remember. People in NHL are smart. Yamamoto was on no one radar. Once he get dangerous, other teams are going to analyze his game, goaltenders are watching his shot and brakaways, and shooting angels. He is going in to other teams books. So I hope other will stay calm, when his succés will stagnate a bit.

When he deos, time to bring up Benson. Always good to have a trumph card in the back pocket. After that, try Joel Persson again. and so on...
This is the McD effect, teams spend a ton of time figuring out how to shut him down....Drai/Yammo/Nuge should benefit huge from this.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm glad they called up Yamo- some guys just do well in the NHL regardless of how they perform in the AHL (see Drai in 15/16)

I think they should give Marody another serious look in the NHL and not let him 'rot' in the minors. I love Gagner but he's gotta sit for an AHL call up imo

Reactions: Aerchon and KYams17

North

Jun 25, 2009
Man I have seen more in Yammo than I did in all of Pool party's years lol. The eye test shows that he can play.

Now if he gains a little more lower body strength and maybe a little more quickness (he isn't slow though at all), he could elevate higher.

But, it's still a wait and see approach. A lot of guys run on adrenaline. The eye test looks good to me in this very small sample size. The main thing I like is that his positioning is fairly good and he engages physically.

He will work out the kinks in his defensive game.

Having guys graduate also helps so much down the A. Those guys will be motivated seeing that hard work can pay off. Can't wait to see Benson as well.

I loved what he did in the lead up to his goal. Barrie knocks him down. Yamamoto gets up. Goes back at Barrie and taps him with his stick to show him he’s not intimidated then rushes to get in shooting position.

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

the thing is, even if teams “figure him out”, his linemates combined for 78 goals and 174 points last year. Any time they spend trying to focus on Yamamoto just gives more space to a guy that nearly won the Rocket last year.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Yamamoto will be a fan favorite in no time. He scored 42 goals and had 99 points his draft year. 22 points more then 2nd place. Draisaitl had 105 points, 38 goals. 32 points more then 2nd place.

Excited to watch this kid grow

Reactions: frag2 and elmeroil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yamamoto will be a fan favorite in no time. He scored 42 goals and had 99 points his draft year. 22 points more then 2nd place. Draisaitl had 105 points, 38 goals. 32 points more then 2nd place.

Excited to watch this kid grow

It's good to see him improving and I remember thinking exactly like you but we are getting way ahead of ourselves. He is still struggling with the size/speed of the and and will require more time than most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad