Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Gazdic

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Goodie. Just what Drai needs. They'd be stupid to toy with any other line.

And who comes out for him? Wagon is too indispensable at least right now. Purcell? Perron?

"We've got enough goals, we don't have enough faces punched"

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Goodie. Just what Drai needs. They'd be stupid to toy with any other line.

And who comes out for him? Wagon is too indispensable at least right now. Purcell? Perron?

"We've got enough goals, we don't have enough faces punched"

No one needs to come out.

They'll use him as the 13th forward and let Pakarinen play in OKC once Hall is back, I'd bet.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd sub him in for Joensuu to keep Joensuu fresh and to keep Gazdic in game shape. Something like Gazdic plays once every 4-5 games in Joensuu's place.

Feb 9, 2013
All the talk of maintaining the integrity of the lines is funny, especially so given the record of this team. People are acting like MacTavish and Co. are set to mess with a Stanley Cup contending roster and not one of the worst records in the league.

I, for one, like seeing Gazdic recalled... either he will - or he won't - demonstrate in practices that he can slot into the line up.

As good as the 'wagon line' has been, 'we' are still losing more games than 'we' are winning. Maybe a line shuffle is in order?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
All the talk of maintaining the integrity of the lines is funny, especially so given the record of this team. People are acting like MacTavish and Co. are set to mess with a Stanley Cup contending roster and not one of the worst records in the league.

I, for one, like seeing Gazdic recalled... either he will - or he won't - demonstrate in practices that he can slot into the line up.

As good as the 'wagon line' has been, 'we' are still losing more games than 'we' are winning. Maybe a line shuffle is in order?

Adding a player who is demonstrably worse than any currently on the roster is not going to improve matters.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'd sub him in for Joensuu to keep Joensuu fresh and to keep Gazdic in game shape. Something like Gazdic plays once every 4-5 games in Joensuu's place.

This is probably the best option. I have no issue with Joensuu not playing nightly, he has had enough injuries in the past few years that resting one night every few weeks might not be a bad thing. Gazdic isn't as bad as many seem to think, I've seen people claim he is Stortini bad, which simply isn't the case. Having him as our 13th forward isn't the end of the world, even if we don't need to play a face puncher nightly, it's not a bad idea to have one available to dress for a game against teams who take liberties (ie, under 20 games a year), isn't a bad thing.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

100% lol its not like we are messing with the Pearson-Carter-Toffoli line

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Purcell is getting 12 minutes of ES icetime a game, Perron 13:52, Yakupov 12:24, etc. Split some of that time among them when Gazdic is in the lineup. Joensuu is not a key component on the PP or PK so him sitting doesn't hurt us there.

Feb 9, 2013
Adding a player who is demonstrably worse than any currently on the roster is not going to improve matters.

This is not exactly true, is it... Hockey is a team sport, and the best team isn't always (maybe isn't ever) the team with the highest level of skill. Each has a role, and a team's dynamic is made up of a variety of roles. The most effective team isn't always the most skilled (compare the Oilers and the Flames), but the team with the most boxes checked in terms of needs - hence the reason some of us are willing to see a player as good as Eberle traded for one of the pressing needs.

Eberle is besides the point though. I also don't believe Gazdic is "demonstrably worse" than other players on the team in all aspects. He is a better skater than a lot of them, and he is definitely better at goonery, and he is young... so he can improve. He is very good on the forecheck... better than Eberle I might add, or most/all of the top six.

The basis of your argument is flawed, and I assume you simply dislike the role that a player like Gazdic brings. And fair enough, but enough with the hyperbole.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Send down their best D. Makes sense.
Play Nikitin 25 minutes a night. That Nikitin-Petry pairing is a killer...in the truest and worst sense for the team.

I don't understand this team. Klefbom was the best defender by far against Boston...then he sits, and has sat since then. Team coached and managed by idiots. I'm ready to completely give the **** up.

There's just no hope when you have idiots running the show. Hell, the Jets are showing what you can do with just an AVERAGE set of coaches and management, and even team on the ice. We're stuck with complete idiots--former players that got popped in the head one too many times. Maybe MacT should've worn a helmet. Shows you how smart he was even back then.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
No one needs to come out.

They'll use him as the 13th forward and let Pakarinen play in OKC once Hall is back, I'd bet.

I just hope Gazdic doesn't play over Pakarinen. If that happens, I'm going to be so pissed.
But I'm pissed that Gazdic even got the call up to be the 13th forward to begin with. He's useless.
God this team is so ****ing embarrassing.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Send down their best D. Makes sense.
Play Nikitin 25 minutes a night. That Nikitin-Petry pairing is a killer...in the truest and worst sense for the team.

I don't understand this team. Klefbom was the best defender by far against Boston...then he sits, and has sat since then. Team coached and managed by idiots. I'm ready to completely give the **** up.

There's just no hope when you have idiots running the show. Hell, the Jets are showing what you can do with just an AVERAGE set of coaches and management, and even team on the ice. We're stuck with complete idiots--former players that got popped in the head one too many times. Maybe MacT should've worn a helmet. Shows you how smart he was even back then.

i laughed......then i nodded in agreement

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
This is not exactly true, is it... Hockey is a team sport, and the best team isn't always (maybe isn't ever) the team with the highest level of skill. Each has a role, and a team's dynamic is made up of a variety of roles. The most effective team isn't always the most skilled (compare the Oilers and the Flames), but the team with the most boxes checked in terms of needs - hence the reason some of us are willing to see a player as good as Eberle traded for one of the pressing needs.

Even if it were the case that Gazdic was not the worst player on the roster (and it isn't), he doesn't check any box in terms of need.

Eberle is besides the point though. I also don't believe Gazdic is "demonstrably worse" than other players on the team in all aspects. He is a better skater than a lot of them, and he is definitely better at goonery, and he is young... so he can improve. He is very good on the forecheck... better than Eberle I might add, or most/all of the top six.

The basis of your argument is flawed, and I assume you simply dislike the role that a player like Gazdic brings. And fair enough, but enough with the hyperbole.

Hyperbole? Dude, you just said that he's a better forechecker than any of the top six. That's hyperbole.

If anything, calling him the worst player on the team is underselling it. He's probably one of the worst players in the NHL.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Even if it were the case that Gazdic was not the worst player on the roster (and it isn't), he doesn't check any box in terms of need.

Hyperbole? Dude, you just said that he's a better forechecker than any of the top six. That's hyperbole.

If anything, calling him the worst player on the team is underselling it. He's probably one of the worst players in the NHL.

Completely agree. If he ends up playing above Pakarinen, then I'll know without a doubt that Eakins has the intelligence of a chimp--and that might be an insult to all the chimpanzees out there.

Keep on throwing that Nikitin-Petry pair over the boards, Eakins! Spotting the opposing team 1 or 2 goals a night is a very clever move. Not to mention all that time spend in the Oilers' zone. You are just so smart and clever.

I felt sorry for his kids last season when they were getting teased because their dad was such a horrible coach. Now I don't give a ****. Do anything it takes to get this dumb arrogant mother ****er out of here!!!

Feb 9, 2013

Worse in terms of what? Gazdic might score less than most of the forward group, but I guarantee he intimidates more than the rest of them... maybe, just maybe, that added presence will benefit the team more than the couple of points by the person he replaces - that is, over the course of an entire season. After all, he wouldn't be replacing Hall or Eberle. It is a "sum is greater than the parts" kind of thing.

He will get his chance to show that he can benefit the team, and if he can't I am fine with seeing him back on the farm.

League wide he is better than a lot in a couple of categories, and I disagree that he doesn't "check any of the boxes" for the Oilers, as I believe that players like him still have a role in the NHL.

Haven't 'our' own players said that they like it when he (or someone like him) is playing? I do recall a few of them saying some such thing, and there is your net gain for having him on the team... maybe a more confident Yakupov or Hall or Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins would benefit the team more than the difference between Gazdic's ability and someone like Joensuu, who is probably who he would supplant. Joensuu only has three points on the season, a fired up Yakupov or Hall or Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins can do that in a single night. Its the team dynamic thing over and above a difference in abilities between two fourth line players. And pardon me for doing so, but I will go with the feelings of the actual players over your opinion, or anyone else on these boards.

And please don't show me charts or graphs or any other such thing, as I believe that there is much more to hockey (and life for that matter) than what can be demonstrated via charts and graphs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
How the hell does Gazdic play above Pakarinen? If that happens, I'm going to be so pissed.
God this team is so ****ing embarrassing.

Did you even read my post?

The 13th forward doesn't play.

You actually want to sit a promising player like Pakarinen in the press box for half the season?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

You actually want to sit a promising player like Pakarinen in the press box for half the season?

Did you even read my post? It's clear I don't want Gazdic to play at all. Are you even responding to the right post, because your post is utterly confusing.

I said I'd be pissed if Pakarinen sits over Gazdic. Not sure how much clearer I can get. I didn't say it was happening. I said IF he plays over Pak.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Worse in terms of what?

Uh, in ability to play hockey obviously.

Gazdic might score less than most of the forward group, but I guarantee he intimidates more than the rest of them...

Oh yeah, Kassian looked real intimidated when he skated away from Gazdic.

maybe, just maybe, that added presence will benefit the team more than the couple of points by the person he replaces - that is, over the course of an entire season. After all, he wouldn't be replacing Hall or Eberle. It is a "sum is greater than the parts" kind of thing.

Considering he gets slaughtered in terms of results the few minutes he's on the ice, this premise is dubious indeed.

He will get his chance to show that he can benefit the team, and if he can't I am fine with seeing him back on the farm.

That a plug like this is even in the discussion for a spot show how bad things are here in Oiler nation.

League wide he is better than a lot in a couple of categories, and I disagree that he doesn't "check any of the boxes" for the Oilers, as I believe that players like him still have a role in the NHL.

OK, what role does he play that has any tangible benefit to the team?

Haven't 'our' own players said that they like it when he (or someone like him) is playing? I do recall a few of them saying some such thing, and there is your net gain for having him on the team...

What else are they gonna say? "Oh yeah Luke, he sucks, man what a plugger.":laugh:

maybe a more confident Yakupov or Hall or Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins would benefit the team more than the difference between Gazdic's ability and someone like Joensuu, who is probably who he would supplant. Joensuu only has three points on the season, a fired up Yakupov or Hall or Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins can do that in a single night. Its the team dynamic thing over and above a difference in abilities between two fourth line players. And pardon me for doing so, but I will go with the feelings of the actual players over your opinion, or anyone else on these boards.

The notion that a guy who is lucky to play fiver minutes and does basically FA when he's on the ice has some magic power to make others play better is so ridiculous, so beyond the pale, I can't believe any one would seriously entertain it.

And please don't show me charts or graphs or any other such thing, as I believe that there is much more to hockey (and life for that matter) than what can be demonstrated via charts and graphs

If that's the case, why are you bothering to suggest Gazdic's presence would have some measurable effect on the team? If, as you claim, his mere presence on the bench is enough to cause others to elevate their games, that's easy enough to prove with charts and graphs.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Play him sparingly on the fourth and have your best forward that night double shifting the rest. How else do the facepunchers get into the lineup? Not many of them can play.

Which fourth line?

If you're talking the Gordon line - I'm sorry but that's just plain stupid. the Gordon line takes every defensive zone draw shutting down the opposition's best forwards. Do you really want Gazdic out there against Getzlaf and Perry? Or the Kings 70s line? Gazdic should never get any minutes playing with Gordon.

and why on earth would you double shift your "best forward" with the Wagon Line? Do you really think a guy like Eberle would fit the defensive assignments that the Wagon Line gets?

If you're talking the "real" fourth line - that's the Draisatl line. Oh great, so the face puncher can babysit the rookie centre? That's another disaster waiting to happen.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Purcell is getting 12 minutes of ES icetime a game, Perron 13:52, Yakupov 12:24, etc. Split some of that time among them when Gazdic is in the lineup. Joensuu is not a key component on the PP or PK so him sitting doesn't hurt us there.

True that Joensuu is not a key component on the PP or PK. But Gazdic should never ever, be on the same line with Gordon. Gordon's line has the most difficult role - taking defensive zone draws against the opposition's best lines. Gazdic would be a pylon against the Getzlaf - Perry line, or any top line in the OIlers own zone.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Which fourth line?

If you're talking the Gordon line - I'm sorry but that's just plain stupid. the Gordon line takes every defensive zone draw shutting down the opposition's best forwards. Do you really want Gazdic out there against Getzlaf and Perry? Or the Kings 70s line? Gazdic should never get any minutes playing with Gordon.

and why on earth would you double shift your "best forward" with the Wagon Line? Do you really think a guy like Eberle would fit the defensive assignments that the Wagon Line gets?

If you're talking the "real" fourth line - that's the Draisatl line. Oh great, so the face puncher can babysit the rookie centre? That's another disaster waiting to happen.

There is only one line on this team that I trust to be okay against either of those lines. Gazdic being in our out of the lineup doesn't change that.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Funny how this comment changes from day to day depending on how people want to defend the oilers. One day it is 'do you want a guy not playing? the next day it is, oh he really should be with the big team so he can practice with them and learn the pro game. (IE Draistail)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Did you even read my post? It's clear I don't want Gazdic to play at all. Are you even responding to the right post, because your post is utterly confusing.

I said I'd be pissed if Pakarinen sits over Gazdic. Not sure how much clearer I can get. I didn't say it was happening. I said IF he plays over Pak.

The post you responded to was saying Pakarinen should be in OKC, and Gazdic should sit in the press box in Edmonton. Not sure why you are confused about his response, when it appears you are being confrontational when you should be in agreement with what the other poster said. Gazdic would be sitting, Pakarinen would be playing in OKC. Best possible scenario.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The post you responded to was saying Pakarinen should be in OKC, and Gazdic should sit in the press box in Edmonton. Not sure why you are confused about his response, when it appears you are being confrontational when you should be in agreement with what the other poster said. Gazdic would be sitting, Pakarinen would be playing in OKC. Best possible scenario.

I was more-less pissed with Gazdic being recalled at all. I don't even want him as the 13th forward. He's a waste of a spot. Pino is a much better player to have as the 13th forward in case of a need via injury. I didn't mean to be confrontational at all. I was pissed at management, not at dnicks. If it read that way, then I could've written that post better, I guess.
There, I fixed it and hope it's clear enough now. I hope no feelings were hurt.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad