Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Gazdic

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I'd take Luke Gazdic over Jesse Joensuu any day of the week.

Best of luck to him. Great guy on and off the ice. Hoping to see him lay out some big hits and get into some bouts. Say what you want about about him; he has shown that he can play the game. Not sure what more you could ask for in a fourth liner.

Not I, Joensuu is much more effective with the puck and his forechecking has been very impressive this year.

Swapping Joensuu with Gazdic would hurt that line big time.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I'd take Luke Gazdic over Jesse Joensuu any day of the week.

Best of luck to him. Great guy on and off the ice. Hoping to see him lay out some big hits and get into some bouts. Say what you want about about him; he has shown that he can play the game. Not sure what more you could ask for in a fourth liner.

He's done no such thing. Can't skate, can't pass or take a pass, can't shoot. Not a NHLer.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
With the Oilers depth on the wings, they can afford to keep him on the bench while double shifting guys like Perron, Pouliot, Hall or who ever's hot.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
With the Oilers depth on the wings, they can afford to keep him on the bench while double shifting guys like Perron, Pouliot, Hall or who ever's hot.

To what end though? The only thing Gazdic is going to do is fight some other teams equally useless hockey player.

The 4th line gets nearly 11 minutes of ES time a game. That's not an insignificant amount of time to be double shifting a couple of other players. This team isn't built to play a player 4 minutes a night.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To what end though? The only thing Gazdic is going to do is fight some other teams equally useless hockey player.

Exactly. Why replace a guy like Joensuu who has been effective, averaging 11 minutes or so a game, with Gazdic, who would realistically get, what, 5? 6?

With fighting at an all time low I only really see Gazdic getting into games with the likes of the Flames and the Canucks, or teams wasting a roster spot on an enforcer.

He plays 20 games this year, tops, IMO.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Exactly. Why replace a guy like Joensuu who has been effective, averaging 11 minutes or so a game, with Gazdic, who would realistically get, what, 5? 6?

With fighting at an all time low I only really see Gazdic getting into games with the likes of the Flames and the Canucks, or teams wasting a roster spot on an enforcer.

He plays 20 games this year, tops, IMO.

The Flames and Canucks aren't even dressing heavy weights anymore. McGrattan's played 5 games and doesn't have a fight yet. When there is no other heavy weight for these guys to go with, they become non factors.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Flipping Gazdic out for Purcellor Joensuu here and there can't hurt. But the need for a facepuncher is deteriorating.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Flipping Gazdic out for Purcellor Joensuu here and there can't hurt. But the need for a facepuncher is deteriorating.

Purcell and Joensuu play 10-12 mintues of ES time a game and both are featured on special teams.

You take them out of the lineup and someone needs to cover that ice time. Gazdic will get you about 4. What about the rest?

And then what do you do with the line that has Gazdic. You can't put him with Hendricks and Gordon because those guys start almost exclusively in defensive situations. They are the most heavily leaned on line on the team. You can't put him with Draisaitl and whoever because that line's goal is to provide offense.

Gazdic is a terrible hockey player that can't even come close to playing a regular shift. If you had 3 great lines and your 4th line was an energy line that played a handful of minutes a night that would be okay. But Gazdic wouldn't fit on any of them.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Gazdic seems like the type of guy who really values just being given a shot in the NHL. I don't think he would ever get upset with sitting in the press box.

If someone has to sit with some bumps and bruises, I don't think he hurts the team playing 5-8 minutes. Would a guy like Acton, for example, be that much better?

If there's a longterm injury, you call up Pakarinen(assuming they send him back down) and Gazdic remains the 13th forward.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Gazdic is more skilled than any other goon in the league. Having him out for 8-10 minutes a game is just fine. He creates energy, and hopefully can get The Caveman down in Vancouver to finally drop em. I'd rather he play than Purcell

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Gazdic is more skilled than any other goon in the league. Having him out for 8-10 minutes a game is just fine. He creates energy, and hopefully can get The Caveman down in Vancouver to finally drop em. I'd rather he play than Purcell

Let's see Gazdic do this:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't really consider Thornton a goon. He's more of a Matt Hendricks type. He's an energy player, who won't back down from anyone

Except that Hendricks can skate, is a great PKer and is good defensively.

Thats great that Gazdic will stick up for his teammates and he seems like a great guy but he's not very good at playing hockey. The 4th line is an important shut down line. Gazdic will just hamper that.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
ib2CI45pLTIvxM.gif
My favorite Gazdic moment...
b2CI45pLTIvxM

b2CI45pLTIvxM

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
ib2CI45pLTIvxM.gif
b2CI45pLTIvxM

b2CI45pLTIvxM
Pretty hard not to like the guy. Seems like a great team guy. Unfortunately the lineup is starting to solidify and the 4th line has some good chemistry. Maybe if he slots in to give guys rests, don't really know? Too bad, probably gets picked off if he gets sent down.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Gazdic: One of those "great in the room" guys that a team likes to have, but he's going to have a hard time getting in this lineup with how the 4th line is actually useful now and can be trusted to be out there for more than 5 minutes/game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We shouldn't be too afraid to play Gazdic. He's a good option if we are facing a physical opponent.

Don't judge last year's stats too harshly. He was on a patchwork 4th line that consisted of the leftovers from the other lines. His most common linemates were Jones, Smyth, Brown, and Acton. Gazdic can skate and move the puck. He's not completely one dimensional.

At the very least, Gazdic can practice with the team and it should be apparent if he can play on the improved roster.

davidsitar

Apr 12, 2011
Our 4th line is one of our best assets right now. Not sure if there is room for Gazdic, the league seems a bit different this year. Doesn't seem to be a need to dress a guy like that and if you do it will will likely cause trouble that wouldn't be there otherwise. I like Gazdic just not sure if he fits the team this year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Purcell and Joensuu play 10-12 mintues of ES time a game and both are featured on special teams.

You take them out of the lineup and someone needs to cover that ice time. Gazdic will get you about 4. What about the rest?

And then what do you do with the line that has Gazdic. You can't put him with Hendricks and Gordon because those guys start almost exclusively in defensive situations. They are the most heavily leaned on line on the team. You can't put him with Draisaitl and whoever because that line's goal is to provide offense.

Gazdic is a terrible hockey player that can't even come close to playing a regular shift. If you had 3 great lines and your 4th line was an energy line that played a handful of minutes a night that would be okay. But Gazdic wouldn't fit on any of them.

Play him sparingly on the fourth and have your best forward that night double shifting the rest. How else do the facepunchers get into the lineup? Not many of them can play.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I'd swap out Purcell on the 19th vs. Canucks for Gazdic.

Has Gazdic ever done anything useful when we play against the Canucks?

People like to think he will intimidate them or throw some big hits against their star players but all he does is get scored on and laughed at.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
ib2CI45pLTIvxM.gif
b2CI45pLTIvxM

b2CI45pLTIvxM

That's probably my favourite Gazdic moment.

I had a feeling that Eakins was pissed off at Yakupov during that game and I was so pissed off at Eakins and then Gazdic was so wicked for congratulating Yakupov for dropping the gloves there.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Acton is horrible and completely not an NHL player. With that in mind, Acton is so much better than Gazdic which is hilarious that people are suggesting swapping Joensuu or Purcell for Gazdic wouldn't change anything. Gazdic is not an NHL player by any standard, and he's likely one of the worst in the league if he's up here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad