Recalled/Assigned: Oilers recall Anton Lander and assign Brandon Davidson [UPD:Lander sent back]

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
From what I read on capgeek I think they sent him down quick so they dont risk waivers. He already cleared this year so he's exempt unless they keep him up for 10 games or 30 days total so by sending him down quickly they maximize his waiver eligibility. For once they seem to know what they are doing.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
From what I read on capgeek I think they sent him down quick so they dont risk waivers. He already cleared this year so he's exempt unless they keep him up for 10 games or 30 days total so by sending him down quickly they maximize his waiver eligibility. For once they seem to know what they are doing.

All that may be true, but what does that say to him? He actually had a pretty good game. And as a reward they send him right back down. That has to hurt.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
All that may be true, but what does that say to him? He actually had a pretty good game. And as a reward they send him right back down. That has to hurt.

Maybe for a fragile weak minded athlete....but Lander has been known as a character leader type....many of our current players would have a mental breakdown

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney

But can i still hate MacTavish?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Could just be a paper transaction.

"Send him down" until the next gameday, then "call him up" again.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Makes sense.

Sending him down tomorrow would probably burn 1 more of the 30 days he has before he needs to clear waivers again(if he doesn't play 10 NHL games before then).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
aw. Was kinda disappointed at him being sent back down.

Didn't watch the game but it sounds like he had a pretty good one.

Kingsley, he played a solid game, apparently this move was only made to spare his waiver status as long as possible, which "looks bad" but makes a lot of sense, especially if you consider the previously stated Draisaitl will be back in tomorrow.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Maybe a far-fetched theory, but it ties in my other theory:
Katz does not want to be paying any more money for things that aren't essential.

We fired a coach, and shuffled people around without spending a cent.

Having Lander up on the active roster, will cost more money in salary than having him down in the minors.

I'm wondering if cost-cutting measures have anything to do with this. Also, lowered concession sales from lowered fan turnout might actually be hurting their bottom line.

:/

Far Fetched theory, but businessmen like Katz will always be about Money.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If the waiver thing is the real reason it's still kinda dumb. Only 1 day between games and Lander misses practice today where he can be getting up to speed with the rest of the team. Either give the guy a fair shot or move on.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe a far-fetched theory, but it ties in my other theory:
Katz does not want to be paying any more money for things that aren't essential.

We fired a coach, and shuffled people around without spending a cent.

Having Lander up on the active roster, will cost more money in salary than having him down in the minors.

I'm wondering if cost-cutting measures have anything to do with this. Also, lowered concession sales from lowered fan turnout might actually be hurting their bottom line.

:/

Far Fetched theory, but businessmen like Katz will always be about Money.

I would say that's "more likely" in relation to Mac-T not being allowed to hired another coach.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If the waiver thing is the real reason it's still kinda dumb. Only 1 day between games and Lander misses practice today where he can be getting up to speed with the rest of the team. Either give the guy a fair shot or move on.

I guess, I don't know that he's being "recalled" for tonight's game.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I guess, I don't know that he's being "recalled" for tonight's game.

He's gonna have a hard time showing what he can do if any game we're willing to play him he has to show up the day of the game (or night before) to join the team and then take a hike right after the game. Not that I think he can do much, but if that's how we're going to handle him his chances are going from slim to none.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's gonna have a hard time showing what he can do if any game we're willing to play him he has to show up the day of the game (or night before) to join the team and then take a hike right after the game. Not that I think he can do much, but if that's how we're going to handle him his chances are going from slim to none.

Ok I guess, I mean I don't know if it's worth wasting his ability to not go through waivers for a few practices over Xmas.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Jason Gregor‏@JasonGregor·19m19 minutes ago
"It was a planned schedule. Anton was going to get one game and go back down. He will get another chance soon." Nelson on Lander.

All part of the plan! Dont worry, Craig's on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad