Recalled/Assigned: Oilers recall Anton Lander and assign Brandon Davidson [UPD:Lander sent back]

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Put him on the second line. Give him a chance to fail in an offensive roll, and when he does...oh well.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
This is so much easier than signing actual NHL players in the offseason.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good for Lander. Hope they play him above the 4th line. He's produced enough at the AHL that he might actually be able to play at this level could he ever get a modicum of confidence. Time to find out once and for all if he's ever going to be an NHLer. If he busts out this time, probably about time you cut him lose in the summer and let him try and stick with someone else and/or go back play in Europe.

But he wont find out much with him on the 4th line with Hendricks/Pinizzotto.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Hopefully Nelson can help Lander find his way in the NHL., since he's had so much success with him in the AHL.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Good for Lander. Hope they play him above the 4th line. He's produced enough at the AHL that he might actually be able to play at this level could he ever get a modicum of confidence. Time to find out once and for all if he's ever going to be an NHLer. If he busts out this time, probably about time you cut him lose in the summer and let him try and stick with someone else and/or go back play in Europe.

ri

Leon-lander-yak

Takes a bit of pressure defensively off Leon with the move to the wing and allows him to work the boards.....lander brings a defensive conscious to the line and a good puck distributor .....maybe both can get Yak going

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Nice. Lander has earned an extended look; I hope he runs with it. I have to wonder if this wasn't Nelson's influence. Hopefully Marinicin is next...

It they are serious about developing him, he should be get a chance on the second line but what he needs now is confidence. I'd be tempted to put him between with Hall and Yak and make Nuge Ebs Perron the first line.

I hope they give him butter soft minutes to start

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
People keep mentioning Draisatl, but depending on how Lander performs in Edmonton, I'm hoping that this spells the end of the Arcobello experiment.

Sure, the young german has had his struggles (to put it lightly), but at least he's been showing flashes here and there, something that I can't recall seeing at all from Arcobello this season.

I'd like to see what Nelson can get out of Draisatl first, before I feel comfortable sending him down to play against lesser competition. As for Arco, I think we've seen all we're ever going to out of him, and frankly, it isn't good enough even for this team, which is pretty damning.
Exactly. :clap:

dobiezeke*

Awesome...the Oilers continue to shift mounds of manure around the farm. Losses will continue to pile.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
One thing to think about with Lander is the possible Nelson effect. Lander plays at a PPG clip under Nelson in OKC. Schultz also played amazing and his offense is now surging upwards in the NHL after Nelson's arrival. No concrete evidence this could happen, but it's a theory.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
One thing to think about with Lander is the possible Nelson effect. Lander plays at a PPG clip under Nelson in OKC. Schultz also played amazing and his offense is now surging upwards in the NHL after Nelson's arrival. No concrete evidence this could happen, but it's a theory.

There are also all sorts of rumours players did not like Eakins. If true, that could explain a lot. We'll know before long if Nelson's arrival can make a difference.

dobiezeke*

If I was Lander I would rather play between Hendricks and Pin as opposed to the twilight zone between Yak and "name a winger". At least he has some chance of being on a line that actually produces once in awhile.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This could mean the end of Arco here IMO not Draisaitl.
And when you say here you mean the NHL, right? And you know what that would mean, right?

I think you're correct though. Oilers wouldn't not send Draisaitl to WJ and then bench him for Lander. Maybe Lander just won't play, the Oilers have proven before that they'll call guys up just to press box them and send them back down. It may have even happened to Lander once before.

I'm surprised because I thought with Nelson taking over we'd see a lot more of Arcobello. He's had a lot of success under Nelson and Nelson must have positive thoughts about him as a player.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There are also all sorts of rumours players did not like Eakins. If true, that could explain a lot. We'll know before long if Nelson's arrival can make a difference.

Heard one rumour that was tweeted. But that tweet sounded like speculation more than hard evidence. Have you heard other rumours?

Oct 30, 2011
This could mean the end of Arco here IMO not Draisaitl.

while i agree, i think Lander can take more defensive minutes than Drasaitl. i think arco can take defensive minutes too, mostly because he can win draws. i think having gordon, arco and lander alleviates some of rnh's minutes versus the current protect Drasaitl line-up.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Good for him, wish him luck and hope he sticks. He will be the fourth line center, he always was considered the top prospect and groomed for that job. With Gordon moved to the second line, the number 4 line energy/shut down line needed a very defensively responsible player that can play a complete 200 foot game. The fact that he is just over a PPG in the AHL is a bonus, but in all intent of purposes, he is here to give the Oilers a second center that they can give the tough own zone minutes to. Arco and Drai are not capable, and RNH should be given the best opportunities as the number 1 center to generate offense.

The one thing also, is Lander is the Baron's captain, and it is very well earned. He has always been a natural leader, and to be blunt, the Oilers need that right about now. If he can do anything to dissipate the high amounts of suck and loser mentality presently within the locker room, then it's a great call-up, and something that should have been done earlier.

I also expect that we will see more call-ups as well soon, especially once Neilson has a firm control of the team as the actual coach. Expect the Finn and Marincin back, and I wouldn't be in the slightest surprised if Brossoit or Bachman makes a appearance shortly either.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It would sure be a great story for the team and the player if Lander can come in and put his stamp on a centre position.

Considering how poor the Oilers cente depth is right now this team could easily carry 5 centres and spot play them as required.

This isnt about Arco or Draisaitl at all for me...its all about Lander succeeding and building depth at a position thats woefully lacking.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And when you say here you mean the NHL, right? And you know what that would mean, right?

I think you're correct though. Oilers wouldn't not send Draisaitl to WJ and then bench him for Lander. Maybe Lander just won't play, the Oilers have proven before that they'll call guys up just to press box them and send them back down. It may have even happened to Lander once before.

I'm surprised because I thought with Nelson taking over we'd see a lot more of Arcobello. He's had a lot of success under Nelson and Nelson must have positive thoughts about him as a player.

We have an avatar bet, I don't recall for how long, but IIRC it's Arco scoring more career points than Gagner's highest point scoring season. At this rate I'd happily lose that bet if Lander reaches his potential as a solid 3C here.

while i agree, i think Lander can take more defensive minutes than Drasaitl. i think arco can take defensive minutes too, mostly because he can win draws. i think having gordon, arco and lander alleviates some of rnh's minutes versus the current protect Drasaitl line-up.

I don't see a need for Arco and Lander. Leon is here to stay, that means that Arco and Lander battle it out for the last spot or perhaps they move one of them to the wing.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
I don't see a need for Arco and Lander. Leon is here to stay, that means that Arco and Lander battle it out for the last spot or perhaps they move one of them to the wing.
There is a need for both of them until the Oilers find someone better to replace them. I think a big problem is the Oilers keep looking for players to fill slots, they just need good players, players that push other guys and want to move up the line up. The Oilers don't need a 2C, they need a guy that'll play 2C while he's killing himself to play 1C because the guy at 3C is coming for his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad