Confirmed with Link: Oilers Re-Sign Kassian - 1 year/1.5M deal

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
He was sober and focusing on his health and career when he came to Edmonton last season and did zip all to show me he is an NHL quality player. Will be happy if he proves me wrong but will be shocked as well.

Didn't he miss training camp, and basically not played the year? That would have an effect on anyone.

The other factor to consider about last season was the lack of preparation due to rehabbing and other off ice distractions.
I thought it showed during the latter part of the season as he looked sluggish on the ice mentally (decision making) and physically.

Also this.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Didn't he miss training camp, and basically not played the year? That would have an effect on anyone.

Fair enough point. Have to think this is absolute last chance though. Show up and play the game or find a new job.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Maybe the hungover pissed off with hate he took out on other players Kassian is the better player then the all rainbows and sunshine Kassian just a thought.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe the hungover pissed off with hate he took out on other players Kassian is the better player then the all rainbows and sunshine Kassian just a thought.

I'd rather a dedicated player who's shown the ability to overpower other players. A loose cannon doesn't do any team any good.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I'd rather a dedicated player who's shown the ability to overpower other players. A loose cannon doesn't do any team any good.

This was not my point A tamed Lion is just that. Kassian skill was not the toolbox that got him in the NHL , it was his size and nastiness . Take this away all you got is size and moderate skills 100 other players fit this bill looking for a career in the NHL. I am just saying his interview did not get me excited showed me he has softened as a person which will transfer to the player.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
This was not my point A tamed Lion is just that. Kassian skill was not the toolbox that got him in the NHL , it was his size and nastiness . Take this away all you got is size and moderate skills 100 other players fit this bill looking for a career in the NHL. I am just saying his interview did not get me excited showed me he has softened as a person which will transfer to the player.
Don't agree. It remains to be seen with him but some of the nicest players off the ice have been the biggest sob's on the ice. We will see what he brings this year.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Don't agree. It remains to be seen with him but some of the nicest players off the ice have been the biggest sob's on the ice. We will see what he brings this year.
I have watched Oiler fans get all to excited about players before . Omark zomg saviour Pajaarvi Schremp so on when was the last time this team even had a darkhorse a player that came out of nowhere to be a keeper . Last one I remember is Tikkanen so don't hate me for not holding my breath.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I have watched Oiler fans get all to excited about players before . Omark zomg saviour Pajaarvi Schremp so on when was the last time this team even had a darkhorse a player that came out of nowhere to be a keeper . Last one I remember is Tikkanen so don't hate me for not holding my breath.

I don't really see alot of over hyping going on. He is what he is and needs to prove he can get back to where he was I'm just saying judging him on an offseason interview is a little short sighted. I would bet against him becoming useful but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton

Well he was sober last year and still crazy so what's the problem.

Now that he's actually focused on them his hockey skills should be better and thats really what he needs to improve if he wants to be an NHL player.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Well he was sober last year and still crazy so what's the problem.

Now that he's actually focused on them his hockey skills should be better and thats really what he needs to improve if he wants to be an NHL player.

I think he could carve out a solid middle 6 career, his problem will be with how bad officiating is, even if he looks at a guy the wrong way, he is getting a penalty.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Hendricks.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Since when was Pajaarvi ever labeled saviour? he was a decent player and my impression was that everyone on this board believed he was a project. i liked the way he was coming around despite front office messing up his career twice by management errors.

It is a good example of Kass though on a skill side. Its hard for me to peg where the tool box will equate to stats. what i knew with MPS was what i could get from him defensively and speed/transition (what we wanted was a physical element added). with Kass what i demand to see is the physical element and a defensive awareness...and what i hope to see will be him using his shot more while giving us the two demands. If he does those things he will be useful.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I am just saying his interview did not get me excited showed me he has softened as a person which will transfer to the player.

You can tell all this from a short interview on the golf green. That's an impressive skill.

Guy looks and sounds healthier than he's ever been in his life.

Perhaps your expectations are too high for him. I expect him to be a physical 3/4 line rw that can play a few games in the top 6 when injuries occur. Maybe chip in with 30 points if he has a really good year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

A tamed lion will still kill you if you piss it off or hurt it. Contrary to your belief tough guys don't need to be walking around pissed off all day long looking to hurt people.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Since when was Pajaarvi ever labeled saviour? he was a decent player and my impression was that everyone on this board believed he was a project. i liked the way he was coming around despite front office messing up his career twice by management errors.

It is a good example of Kass though on a skill side. Its hard for me to peg where the tool box will equate to stats. what i knew with MPS was what i could get from him defensively and speed/transition (what we wanted was a physical element added). with Kass what i demand to see is the physical element and a defensive awareness...and what i hope to see will be him using his shot more while giving us the two demands. If he does those things he will be useful.

When the Oilers had Hall, Omark. PRV, Eberle.

They called it a new H.O.P.E believing they would be the saviours bring the Oilers back into the playoffs. I think that is what he was getting at.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i was thinking this too but then i remembered when stamkos slewfooted him and he said he was "effing dead" or something but it was clear as day when he said it i dont think he is neutered at all......ference was neutered by being the captain though. i liked finger the bell centre crowd ference way better.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
A tamed lion will still kill you if you piss it off or hurt it. Contrary to your belief tough guys don't need to be walking around pissed off all day long looking to hurt people.

Look at Laraque.

Dude HATED fighting, but he'd still beat you to a pulp if he messed with him or his teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad