Confirmed with Link: Oilers Re-Sign Kassian - 1 year/1.5M deal

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
CaJAHy7.gif

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hope he can at least be worth his contract. Would love to be wrong about him.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Still think its safer to lean towards him falling out of favour this year than making an impact in the top 9 but this deal seems like a no brainer to me. Hopefully he can build some momentum.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My reservations with signing him mostly was around needing to qualify him at 2 million. 1.5 million is easier to swallow.

I don't think he was particularly good last year. But hopefully a full summer of being able to get prepared for the season will see him come in and be more effective this season. No doubt he had a tumultuous past season and it would be naive to think that a car crash, rehab, being waived by his team etc etc wouldn't effect him. Lets hope he gets back to being the player he was showing he could be in Vancouver.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Still think its safer to lean towards him falling out of favour this year than making an impact in the top 9 but this deal seems like a no brainer to me. Hopefully he can build some momentum.

Be interesting to see how he does when he's been sober for that much longer, and the ability to properly train for a full offseason.

I'm cautiously optimistic

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I would've extended him at his $2M qualifier, so thumbs up for the $500K savings, it might matter at some point. :thumbu:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Great deal. Kassian can play everywhere in the lineup. Ideally he's a 3rd liner or maybe even a 4th liner on contending teams. He has skill, speed, and physicality but hasn't really put it together. There have been flashes of brilliance though.

If he comes in motivated next year like he was for his first few games here, we'll have quite the player on our hands.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Good deal, hopefully with the full summer Kassian can up his conditioning a little he started looking gassed their at the end

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I still don't get what happened when he played with the Habs.

He was a passenger in a car that got into a car accident on an off-day. Because he was drunk at the time he had to go into the league substance abuse program.

Is there more to the story than that? He was placed into 'stage 2' of the program because there was a first offence of some kind.

I still don't get why he had to re-enter the program because of someone else's actions.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

He was a passenger in a car that got into a car accident on an off-day. Because he was drunk at the time he had to go into the league substance abuse program.

Is there more to the story than that? He was placed into 'stage 2' of the program because there was a first offence of some kind.

I still don't get why he had to re-enter the program because of someone else's actions.

I assumed he was sort of "over his head" or "getting a bit out of control" about it, it's why the Habs sort of washed their hands of it. Eitherway, getting effective bottom-6 players for unless goalies seems to be the Oilers new MO.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Glad to see Kass back. He adds grit that we need and makes the games more entertaining to watch..

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013

Going into detail about a lot of what's been discussed as substantiated-ish rumors wouldn't be allowed on HFBoards, but as a general principle, entering Stage 2 of the NHL's substance abuse program means that the player had violated the terms of Stage 1 of the substance abuse program. Depending on the terms of the player's treatment, even being "drunk on an off day" could be a violation of Stage 1.

Entrance into Stage 1 can be either mandatory or voluntary, and it is widely believed that the former applied in this case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad