Confirmed with Link: Oilers Re-Sign Kassian - 1 year/1.5M deal

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
ideal #3RW on a good team IMO.. Can play with skill on his line.

If Yakupov doesn't work out or if an injury occurs I feel good knowing that Kassian could be a quality middle 6 player. I don't think last season was a fair evaluation of him. He came in out of physical and game shape due to the broken foot/rehab program. From everything I've seen he looks to be in great shape at the moment and will get a full training camp to get ready to come out flying. He's been that player in the past and I don't see any reason why he can't be it again. He seems to be excited at the opportunity so I hope he works out for us because he's exactly the type of player we need when he's on his game.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Happy for him. Clearly he's trying very hard to turn things around and seems to be doing just that. The fact that he said he feels like a 19 year old again and is excited for hockey again is good news. Now it's just a matter of him going out there, getting back to his level and contributing in a positive way. :handclap:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Happy for him. Clearly he's trying very hard to turn things around and seems to be doing just that. The fact that he said he feels like a 19 year old again and is excited for hockey again is good news. Now it's just a matter of him going out there, getting back to his level and contributing in a positive way. :handclap:

:yo:

The size and skill are there. Hopefully he's put his demons behind him and he focuses on being the best hockey player and teammate he can be.

Kassian is only 25, he's still got lots left in the tank. Could be an excellent redemption story if he plays consistently to his ability.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
:yo:

The size and skill are there. Hopefully he's put his demons behind him and he focuses on being the best hockey player and teammate he can be.

Kassian is only 25, he's still got lots left in the tank. Could be an excellent redemption story if he plays consistently to his ability.

Yeah you can't take much from last year.
having this offseason to rediscover who he is as a person and to move forward sober and in a new city. it's a new world for him, and he had a lot to fight through during last season.

I'm looking forward to see what he can do going forward.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I am not sure why people think this. He has shown nothing recently to suggest it.

If you knew the player at all, it's pretty clear that he's lately not only played below the ability he's shown, but also had flashes of real skill throughout his short career. Bertuzzi-esk hands at time, physicality, and great passing ability.

It's not far fetched to say with the right line mates could really become a contributor.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I am not sure why people think this. He has shown nothing recently to suggest it.

you forget the fact he's now sober and able to focus on health and career?
he's at times looked quite good while battling his demons. you don't think he can be a more consistent player going forward?

that's why he can be seen as a dark horse who could surprise us.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He sounds like he's in a great place mentally and that for the first time in a very long time he's fully committed to being a hockey player. If he ends up being 3rd line guy for us that would be huge. We'd literally have a big bodied ass kicker on every line.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Wow, sounds so much better in this interview then even ones from last year. Amazing what sobriety and working out can do for the synapses.

Bangalter

Aug 21, 2013
Not sure if its in that interview or not didn't hear it when i listened but apparently he's lost 10-15 pounds

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Since he played on the Canucks though right?

Yeah I think thats what he was talking about. He was listed at 217 last year and said he's at like 212 now and used to be around 225. He looks like he's lean and in good shape. Might be a little quicker out there this year and still has the ability to throw hits and use his big frame. If he can have a good year and be here long-term I think he'll add to his frame like Lucic did over his career (came into the league at like 220 and is now up to 233).

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Not sure if its in that interview or not didn't hear it when i listened but apparently he's lost 10-15 pounds

Looks a bit less chubby in the face and neck compared to last season. That's a good sign for his overall fitness.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
kassian was one of the players we got after 2011 cup loss and i prayed he would be what we needed. he had a rough childhood and troubled past few years.

not many things have cheered me up like him being sober. god speed zack hope your career gets back on track even if it makes the oilers forward group start looking like the 2003 detroit red wings.

bertuzzi is in him and you are all lucky to have him

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Nice to see him back. Hope he continues the new path he's set for himself. Looking pretty fit now.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
you forget the fact he's now sober and able to focus on health and career?
he's at times looked quite good while battling his demons. you don't think he can be a more consistent player going forward?

that's why he can be seen as a dark horse who could surprise us.

He was sober and focusing on his health and career when he came to Edmonton last season and did zip all to show me he is an NHL quality player. Will be happy if he proves me wrong but will be shocked as well.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If you knew the player at all, it's pretty clear that he's lately not only played below the ability he's shown, but also had flashes of real skill throughout his short career. Bertuzzi-esk hands at time, physicality, and great passing ability.

It's not far fetched to say with the right line mates could really become a contributor.

I do think it's far fetched. He's no spring chicken and has played only one full NHL season, dropping a whopping 29 points. Not impossible for him to turn things around, but an extreme longshot.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah you can't take much from last year.
having this offseason to rediscover who he is as a person and to move forward sober and in a new city. it's a new world for him, and he had a lot to fight through during last season.

I'm looking forward to see what he can do going forward.

The other factor to consider about last season was the lack of preparation due to rehabbing and other off ice distractions.
I thought it showed during the latter part of the season as he looked sluggish on the ice mentally (decision making) and physically.

Kassian has an opportunity this time around to be single minded about getting ready for the upcoming season.

That IMO will make a big difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad