Confirmed with Link: Oilers Re-Sign Kassian - 1 year/1.5M deal

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
So glad he's never had that (those?) tooth (teeth?) replaced. If he did, frankly, I probably wouldn't like him so much. But, because he always looks like a 8 year old on Christmas, I dig the heck out of this signing. Yup, appearances matter.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
You could tell by the end of season he was not in proper shape from all the missed time . Expect a good season from him .

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
AqAOb4U.jpg

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
Not bad. We didn't get fleeced here. He's definitely worth the risk as he's shown versatility that we're probably going to need.

It's a small but hopeful sign of our Chia's abilities to make shrewd deals going forward.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The hurdle I'll be interested in seeing if Zack can overcome it is how he looks after the first couple months of the season. I expect he'll start well, but going by my viewings of him when he was a Canuck he always struck me as someone who struggled with motivation once he had a bit of success...he'd have some initial good games where you thought he was *finally* going to realize that potential, then would come a string of empty shifts and empty games where he'd do not much at all, and down the lineup he'd tumble.

He's certainly saying all the right things and at least sounds like he knows what's up with his career, it's going to be on him to decide if he wants to man up and develop a work ethic.

mervincm

Sep 12, 2008
I like it. Oilers need more reasons for the opposition to hate playing us. Unless he goes off the deep-end and embarrasses the team (and this is the Oilers afterall...,) we can't go wrong.

Oct 15, 2008
Good signing. Kind of player we need on the kind of contract that he should be on.

The old regime would've done 3x3.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Good signing. Kind of player we need on the kind of contract that he should be on.

The old regime would've done 3x3.

lets be honest here bud......

the old regime would have given scrivens 3x3 and never made the deal

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good signing and good term. He'll get a string of one-year deals until people are reasonably confident his issues are behind him.

I'd like to see what he can do with a full summer of training and a full camp. He was noticeably huffing and puffing down the stretch at times.

Right now he probably slots in at 3RW.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Good signing and good term. He'll get a string of one-year deals until people are reasonably confident his issues are behind him.

I'd like to see what he can do with a full summer of training and a full camp. He was noticeably huffing and puffing down the stretch at times.

Right now he probably slots in at 3RW.

Don't see a string of one year deals. This year seems make or break to me.

A season and a third with the team is his chance to prove he's over it and committed to hockey ... or he's not.

If he isn't in a place where the team is willing to sign him to a multi-year deal a year from now then it's likely time to cut bait.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Don't see a string of one year deals. This year seems make or break to me.

A season and a third with the team is his chance to prove he's over it and committed to hockey ... or he's not.

If he isn't in a place where the team is willing to sign him to a multi-year deal a year from now then it's likely time to cut bait.

I think that's the way it'll go. Not sure he can either produce or antagonize or punish opponents enough to counter the attention he gets from refs.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think that's the way it'll go. Not sure he can either produce or antagonize or punish opponents enough to counter the attention he gets from refs.
He skates well enough to track down guys and he hits like a linebacker so I'm sure he will always be able to antagonize. The question is can he reign himself in and let the opponents frustration boil over. I'm sure if the Oil can win a few more on the scoreboard then you will see Kass start to win the pest battle. I know when the Nucks had him he drove our team nuts.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
He skates well enough to track down guys and he hits like a linebacker so I'm sure he will always be able to antagonize. The question is can he reign himself in and let the opponents frustration boil over. I'm sure if the Oil can win a few more on the scoreboard then you will see Kass start to win the pest battle. I know when the Nucks had him he drove our team nuts.

And then there's also the question of whether or not the refs will actually let him hit without penalizing him every time he breathes on an opponent the wrong way.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Great deal. Kassian can play everywhere in the lineup. Ideally he's a 3rd liner or maybe even a 4th liner on contending teams. He has skill, speed, and physicality but hasn't really put it together. There have been flashes of brilliance though.

If he comes in motivated next year like he was for his first few games here, we'll have quite the player on our hands.

i hope he looks up to Maroon and follows his example.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
i hope he looks up to Maroon and follows his example.

I donno if Maroon is the right guy to look up to. Maroon seems to be a guy who has had issues coming into camp in shape in his career.

Frankly they both are guys that need to focus on conditioning.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
With Pouliot, Kassian, and Maroon signed for next year, I really don't see any need to go out of our way to sign a guy like Lucic. I like the idea of those three players all competing for minutes and moving up and down the lineup depending on who is playing well. In theory, all three could play on a line with McDavid at times.

If we do look to add a forward, I hope it's a two-way guy like Eriksson rather than simply more size for the sake of size. I also hope Kassian gets a decent shot with some offensive linemates on the third line though rather than simply as a bottom line grinder.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I donno if Maroon is the right guy to look up to. Maroon seems to be a guy who has had issues coming into camp in shape in his career.

This is not atypical for big players and its not completely a bad thing for them to be packing some extra weight at start of season. You tend to lose it as season goes on and you want guys like Maroon to be big. This is not a player that is dependent on a breaking step, this is a player who's game is dependent on him physically dominating opposition defenders. Typically a player you're not going to be using for stretch passes regardless of some of what we saw this year.

Finally, Maroon has been on a playoff type team in the past and a contender at that. A big player knowing that, and knowing that the team will likely go deep in playoffs is looking at well over 100 games in the course of the year spanning almost 10mths of the year. So you take your time off the hardcore physical conditioning and let your body rest a bit when you have the chance.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
With Pouliot, Kassian, and Maroon signed for next year, I really don't see any need to go out of our way to sign a guy like Lucic. I like the idea of those three players all competing for minutes and moving up and down the lineup depending on who is playing well. In theory, all three could play on a line with McDavid at times.

If we do look to add a forward, I hope it's a two-way guy like Eriksson rather than simply more size for the sake of size. I also hope Kassian gets a decent shot with some offensive linemates on the third line though rather than simply as a bottom line grinder.

I'm with you, but if all three are on the line, then where do you slot in McDavid?

:sarcasm:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

For what it's worth a good chunk of that team camp in out of shape including the two leaders in Getzlaf and Perry. Maroon has admitted that he has to be better as if he doesn't come into shape he isn't in the NHL after this season.

The problem I see is if he gets a multi-year deal after this upcoming year.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Just saw an interview, almost didn't recognize him. Part of it was the shave and he has a full set of teeth, but the biggest thing to me was watching his face and the excitement in his voice. He of course said all the right things that a pro player should say, but where I am normally very cynical in these situations, this time I buy it. He seemed very clear headed and genuine and I am happy for him on a personal level. Time will tell but I think we'll also see an improvement in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad