Post-Game Talk: Oilers @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I feel like he's been really bad, but his trade value is still good enough to the point where he COULD be moved.

If the Rangers agreed to take back a contract + late-round pick for him, I think some team would bite simply because he's had so much playoff experience.
He's been bad, but I really think he can be a lot more effective in a different system. With AV's man to man system, basically all of Girardi's faults as a player (slow of foot, poor as transitioning quickly, propensity to chip puck out always) are exacerbated.

Even still, I think he has more trade value than anyone on HF or Twitter thinks. If a team has space and thinks he would fit their defensive scheme, he's not s bad pickup he's a veteran leader with a butt load of playoff experience.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I feel lucky that I get to watch Keith Yandle every night. Great possession player, his style is just art on ice, and plays with so much passion. Please sign this man.
What annoys me about McIlrath's goal is Joe. He mentions face-offs like 7 times but not the great play by Yandle to evade the Oiler player and make a clean pass.

Stoll's biggest contribution as a Ranger is he will be my go-to example regarding the importance of face-offs. Better than most but Sam and Joe are a mess most nights.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
1) Youth. Yes, youth. It injects energy, creates camaraderie, forces the vets to take on a larger responsibility in picking slack and mentoring them and leading by example.
2) Ryan McDonagh looked good again, tonight. He looks good any time he is off of Girardi.
3) Marc Staal looked much improved tonight. Wow he looks night and day with a mobile and defensively responsible partner. And while I'm not in favor of moving McDonagh to the right side permanently, seeing him play the way he did tonight gave me hope moving forward.
4) Brady Skjei, if he continues to play this way, deserves to stay. Losing Staal will not hurt if he can play this way. The defense was good tonight, as a whole, and will only improve as Staal, Boyle, and Girardi begin to get phased out.
5) Dylan McIlrath. Man, he's fun to watch. G and Boyle should alternate games moving forward once Klein returns. Dylan needs to remain.
6) Stalberg-Moore-Fast. That needs to be your 4th line. Man, they were great on the forecheck at the end there.
7) Hayes had Gaudreau on his line at BC when he turned his entire hockey career around. He had Hagelin last year when he broke onto the scene. Gaudrea and Hagelin are two pesky, quick, puck possessors who attract defenders along the boards and open ice for Hayes. He desperately needs this type of player to be successful. He has no open room, and therefore he looks lost. He just needs help on his line.
8) Kreider looks more engaged lately. And I believe once Stepan returns this uptick in energy and determination will lead to more production on the stats sheet. Now we just need another top 6 forward.

- Find a 3rd line pesky, fast, puck possessor who is great on the forecheck.
- Find top 6 help.

Nash-Brassard-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Top 6 Acquisition
Top 9 Puck Possessor-Hayes-Miller
Stalberg-Moore-Fast

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi
Boyle

Great post. Like i've been saying, 1 of Staal or Girardi have to be shipped out this year. The other needs to be shipped out next offseason. We're going to have to get a middle 6 player that needs a change of scenery--and has term on his contract with a decent cap hit

I love those D pairings.

Radim Vrbata, or perhaps someone with longer term can be acquired by trading Staal.

As for a top 9 guy, we'll have to part with some lower picks and a middling prospect (thinking like Bourque, who will probably be in the NHL on another team).

I feel lucky that I get to watch Keith Yandle every night. Great possession player, his style is just art on ice, and plays with so much passion. Please sign this man.

Agreed. The guy is a magician with the puck

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Yeah watching him interact with McI and Skjei on the bench tonight made me want to buy a Yandle jersey. But I know the second I do is the second its decided we won't be keeping him :laugh:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Oilers suck ass, but the Rangers did look good tonight.

In light of the current team construction and the way the rookies played, I think the Rangers should sink this year to keep the window with Lundqvist.

Note: I did NOT say tank

A lot of weight needs to be off loaded to keep the team fresh, and playing a double down bet this year is a bad idea. Wait to really push it in 2017 and 2018.

I mean 1st or 2nd round exit to off dead weight and sign Stamkos while having a few fresh ELCs?

Sign Reggie up!

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Missed game due to work but watching rangers in 60 and from what I read on here was good solid overall team game. I'm glad the young kids are gonna make it hard on AV to take them out at at very least not hesitating to scratch G or staal until (and if) their game improves

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
How was McI not the first star of the game? Aside from the goal he was a complete defensive beast out there. Nash had the GWG but that was about it.

Voted Skjei, even though he had a terrible giveaway in the 2nd, he still played fantastic for a first game.

thats what i was wondering.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I didn't see a single moment of this game because, well, when you're in a relationship, you do NOT miss birthdays, but it's nice to see the Rangers actually came back home and showed some pride after a road trip during which they embarrassed themselves.

Congratulations to McIlrath on his Mcfirst NHL Mcgoal.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I didn't see a single moment of this game because, well, when you're in a relationship, you do NOT miss birthdays, but it's nice to see the Rangers actually came back home and showed some pride after a road trip during which they embarrassed themselves.

Plenty of fish bro…

But only one time for McIlrath's first goal.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

we expect your resignation on the board by morning.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

Megustaelhockey? More like Megustaelcumpleaños. ;)

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

theres this thing called a "DVR"....

or like...a VCR if you're really effing old.

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia