Oilers PP sinks them. 4-2 Rags

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Except Toews brings a superior two way game and has something like 60% on face offs which is amazing. Not to mention that he's clutch. I'd definitely take Toews over Nuge even if he's getting paid 4.5 million more

I wouldn't. Not with McDavid's extension coming. Toews is overpaid for what he is anyway. For that much cash, you need to score points at an elite rate.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
And there go the goalposts, racing into the distance. :shakehead

Funy thing: if you look at the last few years, Eberle's scoring rates plummet when you take him away from Nuge. Hall's also dips, albeit not as severely. You see the same thing with Eberle when you take him away from Hall. So Hall is a driver, no one would dispute that, but if there's a passenger here, it's Eberle.

As for the idea that this is some unprecedented collection of scoring talent that makes apples to apples comparisons impossible, what a joke. FFS, look at the names I've posted. Crosby had Malkin. Kane and Toews had each other. Stamkos had MSL. That good players do well when paired with other good players should come as a shock to absolutely no one and is certainly not evidence that any of those players are products of someone else's talent.

So Eberle is the passenger now? Despite looking great a couple times while Hall was out for injury? I can understand why guys want to get rid of Eb's as he's not a great two way player, but guys that can put goals on the board like Eb's are valuable. I have yet to see anything out of RNH's that makes me think he stirs the drink on any line he's been on.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Kassian can play the rest of his career in the ECHL or down the road in Cgy for all I care, the last thing I want to see is that loser in an Oilers uniform.

I've lived in BC since 1990 and the reason that I never became a Canucks fan is because of guys like Cooke, Ruutu, Kassian, Bertuzzi, etc. If the Oilers started acting like Canucks I would drop them in a heartbeat.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
So, does Justin Schultz actually do...anything? Like, really? I mean, besides embarrass himself on a regular basis. He's an offensive defenseman, who doesn't supply offence.
Sure doesn't provide defense. And forget about physicality or heart or any of those other intangibles players are supposed to bring when they're not scoring.
So, again, what does he do?
I miss M.A Bergeron so hard.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
So, does Justin Schultz actually do...anything? Like, really? I mean, besides embarrass himself on a regular basis. He's an offensive defenseman, who doesn't supply offence.
Sure doesn't provide defense. And forget about physicality or heart or any of those other intangibles players are supposed to bring when they're not scoring.
So again what does he do?
I miss M.A Bergeron.

nope...and this guy make 3.9 million
but he's a Norris candidate right MacT?? :laugh::laugh:

he doesn't hit
no grit to his game
can't QB a PP
no shot
not a real good puck mover
makes dumb decisions all over the ice

Davidson has lapped him in his development

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
So Eberle is the passenger now? Despite looking great a couple times while Hall was out for injury? I can understand why guys want to get rid of Eb's as he's not a great two way player, but guys that can put goals on the board like Eb's are valuable. I have yet to see anything out of RNH's that makes me think he stirs the drink on any line he's been on.
Eberle is looking great now. He's carrying the puck with confidence and finding time and space, and he has some of the nicest hands in the league. He's an elite finisher and he's clutch.

IMO the team needs wingers more than a 3rd elite center, it's between Nuge and LD who we keep as a #2 center. LD is the obvious choice because he's further from rfa and he's way better despite the age disadvantage. RNH is as dangerous as a beachball.

Keep
MacD Eberle
LD Hall

Trade
Yak, RNH

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yep. Exactly. The notion that Nuge drives the points, and that the most prolific player on this club, Eberle, is a passenger, in that relationship is laughable. You can't replace the goal scoring ability Eberle brings. That's the major difference right there.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
On Oilers Now he just said he might be able to play on Saturday but at this point it's unlikely. Doesn't sound like he'll be out too long.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Doesn't it also mean that Klef can't play for at least a week? That's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing him back against Colorado or Winnipeg

It can be retroactive, I believe. So they could have put him on the IR retroactive to Friday/Saturday. I'm not 100% sure about the rules, but I believe that is possible.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I don't disagree, but I don't see why he can't just be shifted down the lineup and given easier matchups and zone starts. If you decide to send him down to Bakersfield, who comes in? Gryba? Reinhart? Fayne?

Well I'm not suggesting sending Nurse the the AHL because he totally sucks, I just want to develop him properly. Anyone who paying any attention can tell he's got some warts, glad your not blinded by it. The problem with shifting him down is then your playing him with someone like Gryba, he will probably struggle even more.

I actually think defensively he's doing okay.. But once he wins the puck, turns it over again and again... He just can't get it out of the zone cleaniy, it's a big issue. To me that says the NHL is too fast for him right now...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Doesn't it also mean that Klef can't play for at least a week? That's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing him back against Colorado or Winnipeg

With the fractured finger Klef most likely won't be back until after the Christmas break or early in the new year. Hopefully he's back for the 4 games against the division.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Eberle is looking great now. He's carrying the puck with confidence and finding time and space, and he has some of the nicest hands in the league. He's an elite finisher and he's clutch.

IMO the team needs wingers more than a 3rd elite center, it's between Nuge and LD who we keep as a #2 center. LD is the obvious choice because he's further from rfa and he's way better despite the age disadvantage. RNH is as dangerous as a beachball.

Keep
MacD Eberle
LD Hall

Trade
Yak, RNH

Yep. That's how I think it's going to go, just add Schultz.

I wouldn't move RNH unless you get a player we need. He isn't a problem,but trading him cud bring in the solution.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Do you have trouble with comprehension or logic?

Nope. Sure seems like you do, though.

I was saying Nuge is the beneficiary of playing with elite offensive talent.

A point I addressed, but I guess you need it spelled out so I'll explain in simple terms: Nugent Hopkins benefits from playing with Hall and Eberle. Hall and Eberle benefit from playing with Nugent Hopkins, with Eberle benefiting more from playing with RNH than RNH benefits from playing with Eberle.

Nobody is stating that other star players in this league that you mention are beneficiaries.

I have no idea what this is about.

lol as well that Eberle, with way more career pts and goals/game than Nuge is the passenger in that context.

It's funny when you manipulate stats to make your points. For example, mentioning Eberle's edge in points without mentioning the fact that he's played 100 more games and is three years older then RNH (on a PPG basis, they have virtually identical scoring rates). Or talking goals per game when it's common knowledge that RNH is a playmaker and Eberle is the finisher. Or that 75 per cent of Eberle's EV point production in the last four years has happened with RNH on the ice and, again, that Eberle's scoring rates plummet away from Nuge. And also no mention of the fact that Eberle's numbers were juiced by the one season of unsustainable shooting percentages while RNH has been consistent throughout his short career.

Yep. Exactly. The notion that Nuge drives the points, and that the most prolific player on this club, Eberle, is a passenger, in that relationship is laughable. You can't replace the goal scoring ability Eberle brings. That's the major difference right there.

What's laughable is equating goalscoring ability with driving the play. Eberle is a very good goalscorer with great hands and a knack for finding open space. But he doesn't do anything else to push the play and he relies on others to get him the puck in space and for the most part, that other has been RNH.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
how many players in the Nhl get to play with linemates as prolific as Hall and Eberle who drive production. The gauge for Nuge is different as this is an outlier team stacked with offensive weapons that Nuge has had exclusive access to.

Exactly. Suporters r the ones not Watchin and quoting stats. If u watch, like last nite, RNH's assist is the result of Eb's great finish. A that's usually how it works.

U trade Nuge for a 2d, and our offense wudnt skip a beat.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Exactly. Suporters r the ones not Watchin and quoting stats. If u watch, like last nite, RNH's assist is the result of Eb's great finish. A that's usually how it works.

And Eberle's goal is a result of Nuge's great pass. Or you can look at RNH's goal against Buffalo, which is the result of RNH winning a battle behind the net and finding Eberle in front. Or Eberle's goal against Chicago on the PP which came off a rebound from a shot by...well, I think you can figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nope. Sure seems like you do, though.

A point I addressed, but I guess you need it spelled out so I'll explain in simple terms: Nugent Hopkins benefits from playing with Hall and Eberle. Hall and Eberle benefit from playing with Nugent Hopkins, with Eberle benefiting more from playing with RNH than RNH benefits from playing with Eberle.
A laughable point with zero substantiation. Eberle is a far more dangerous producer which almost anybody understands.

Absolutely lol at the suggestion that Hall benefits much from playing with Nuge. Oh my. Hall has had the most independent production game on this team which should be patently obvious.

It's funny when you manipulate stats to make your points. For example, mentioning Eberle's edge in points without mentioning the fact that he's played 100 more games and is three years older then RNH (on a PPG basis, they have virtually identical scoring rates). Or talking goals per game when it's common knowledge that RNH is a playmaker and Eberle is the finisher. Or that 75 per cent of Eberle's EV point production in the last four years has happened with RNH on the ice and, again, that Eberle's scoring rates plummet away from Nuge. And also no mention of the fact that Eberle's numbers were juiced by the one season of unsustainable shooting percentages while RNH has been consistent throughout his short career.

What is it about "per game" that you don't understand? Also, of the two Eberle suffers less injury and has had nearly 100more pts than Nuge while playing one more season. Which represents approximately 2 Nuge production seasons..

What's laughable is equating goalscoring ability with driving the play. Eberle is a very good goalscorer with great hands and a knack for finding open space. But he doesn't do anything else to push the play and he relies on others to get him the puck in space and for the most part, that other has been RNH.
Oh for crying out loud. Most of Eberles goals come from something as simple as a dump into a position and him making a play out of virtually nothing. Indeed that's the magic of Eberle is he scores from situations and positions that few other players score from which is, yes, DRIVING those results. In simplest terms when Eberle scores a great goal (and they often are) he's the biggest single ingredient and factor in those goals without which most of them don't occur.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
haha whats happening here..

RNH and Eberle are both valuable to the team and have looked decent being on the same line. Hopefully with Pouliot's addition this trio can start to dominate like they did at the end of last season.

We will need this line to get going since the Hal-Drai line seems to get shut down on road by opponents top D pariing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad