Oilers PP sinks them. 4-2 Rags

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
If Schultz was a left hand shot he wouldnt even be a consideration for the power play or team. Wish we hadn't qualified him and had spent the money on Franson.

Yeah, Franson isn't perfect, but he's MUCH better than freaking Schultz, that's a no doubter. We should've cut him loose, but I'm sure "number 2" had some good words about 'Mr. Norris trophy caliber' Dman. Good ol' MacT... :shakehead

But yeah, I would've totally been on board with that at the time. I would've been pretty thrilled, actually, as I wanted Franson along with Sekera. Ah well. Hopefully there's someone even better who's a RHD this off season we can sign, and cut Schultz loose. I think after this season, Schultz at most gets a one year, minimum salary contract by some team, then he's gone to a Euro league where he belongs.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
No idea what you are getting at with the bolded. Talk about ridiculous. Hall is one of the elite players in the game that can be referenced with Kane or Toews. RNH has not shown himself to be that and has a career high 56pts.

A mark he's hit twice before he was 22 years old. He's topped 50 points four times before age 23, something only Sidney Crosby, Patrick Kane, Anze Kopitar, Ilya Kovalchuk, Steven Stamkos, and Jonathan Toews have done before him in the past 20 years. What a dud.

Nuge is talented, and I get that, but its very frustrating how his more creative offensive play is mostly not seen for extended stretches and how little he does drive production. The play last night was good eyes. But a lot of Ebs goals have just been due to spectacular finish. Nuge needs to be playing better and as he is capable. Theres no excuse for Nuge not to be putting up 60-70pt seasons. But only consistent application will get him there.

Last year, Nuge scored 56 points in 76 games. The year before it was 56 points in 80 games. This year he's on pace for 60 points. I'm not seeing the inconsistency here.

If we're talking about stretches where he doesn't score, let's take a look at that, particularly your earlier claim that he "started really slow and is just getting going". He put up 6 points in his first 10 games. Then 9 points in his next 10. Then 7 points in his next 10. The longest he's gone so far without registering a point is three games, which has happened twice (the same amount as Taylor Hall btw). John Tavares, meanwhile, has had two four game dry spells. Jonathan Toews, one of your elite guys, has spent two three game and one four game stretch on the schneid. So it's unclear to me what standard of consistency you're looking for and how one would go about measuring that.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
A mark he's hit twice before he was 22 years old. He's topped 50 points four times before age 23, something only Sidney Crosby, Patrick Kane, Anze Kopitar, Ilya Kovalchuk, Steven Stamkos, and Jonathan Toews have done before him in the past 20 years. What a dud.

Last year, Nuge scored 56 points in 76 games. The year before it was 56 points in 80 games. This year he's on pace for 60 points. I'm not seeing the inconsistency here.

If we're talking about stretches where he doesn't score, let's take a look at that, particularly your earlier claim that he "started really slow and is just getting going". He put up 6 points in his first 10 games. Then 9 points in his next 10. Then 7 points in his next 10. The longest he's gone so far without registering a point is three games, which has happened twice (the same amount as Taylor Hall btw). John Tavares, meanwhile, has had two four game dry spells. Jonathan Toews, one of your elite guys, has spent two three game and one four game stretch on the schneid. So it's unclear to me what standard of consistency you're looking for and how one would go about measuring that.

Thank you. I swear most of these Nuge haters don't watch the games.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I think there's a middle ground somewhere between top pairing minutes and the AHL you are overlooking.

Perhaps I am, however he isn't playing well at all. Makes poor decisions with the puck consistently.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I will say this: I was at the last game, and Boston played us harder than any team has in recent memory. And RNH gave the Bruins fits at times, he and Ebs were the only forwards who seemed to be able to consistently (a) help get the puck deep, and (b) steal it from slower players to set up chances. Happened 2-3 times in the game if I remember right. And then he scored. And then there was his excellent work on the 3v3 which basically got us the extra point (big faceoff win, amazing puck movement and possession play). So he was very good offensively in a very tough game.

As for Nurse: I simply can't imagine not wanting him on this team. He is the only D-man with the size, athleticism and tenacity to give opposing power forwards real trouble. No WAY Nash would have scored that game winning goal last night had Nurse been on the side of the net.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Perhaps I am, however he isn't playing well at all. Makes poor decisions with the puck consistently.

I don't disagree, but I don't see why he can't just be shifted down the lineup and given easier matchups and zone starts. If you decide to send him down to Bakersfield, who comes in? Gryba? Reinhart? Fayne?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't disagree, but I don't see why he can't just be shifted down the lineup and given easier matchups and zone starts. If you decide to send him down to Bakersfield, who comes in? Gryba? Reinhart? Fayne?

You dont disagree that Nurse should be down in AHL??
I would take him over just about anyone on our D right now. If we are talking about making mistakes then Sekera should be the first one getting "sent down". Nurse has no business going back to AHL especially considering what else the Oilers have on the roster.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
another player ruined by eakins

I miss the shortened season and Kruger..

Schultz was a legit offensive Dman that year and Yak was a legit top line winger. (both rookies)
The swagger got sucked out of both after that and both turned into zombies.

That was a career best year for many Oilers. Hall 50pts in 45GP, Gagner career year, Ebs close to PPG and even magnus friggin Paajarvi looked like an offensive threat.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I miss the shortened season and Kruger..

Schultz was a legit offensive Dman that year and Yak was a legit top line winger. (both rookies)
The swagger got sucked out of both after that and both turned into zombies.

That was a career best year for many Oilers. Hall 50pts in 45GP, Gagner career year, Ebs close to PPG and even magnus friggin Paajarvi looked like an offensive threat.

Also Schultz PPG all came in the first month....

So it is 1 PPG in 210 Games.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Anyone else hear the stat the Oilers are 30th in the NHL for dmen skating the puck out of their own end.

That right there is why you cant blame the forwards on getting the puck out.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
You dont disagree that Nurse should be down in AHL??
I would take him over just about anyone on our D right now. If we are talking about making mistakes then Sekera should be the first one getting "sent down". Nurse has no business going back to AHL especially considering what else the Oilers have on the roster.

I don't disagree with the assessment that he's not playing well. I obviously disagree that it warrants a demotion.

While I'm being disagreeable here, I also disagree with the rest of your post here. Sekera has been the best Oilers D man and has helped make Nurse look good, but it's a tough job to carry a rookie who is clearly starting to wilt a bit.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
No idea what you are getting at with the bolded. Talk about ridiculous. Hall is one of the elite players in the game that can be referenced with Kane or Toews. RNH has not shown himself to be that and has a career high 56pts.

Nuge is talented, and I get that, but its very frustrating how his more creative offensive play is mostly not seen for extended stretches and how little he does drive production. The play last night was good eyes. But a lot of Ebs goals have just been due to spectacular finish. Nuge needs to be playing better and as he is capable. Theres no excuse for Nuge not to be putting up 60-70pt seasons. But only consistent application will get him there.

ps Curious point about Nuge "not playing with Hall or Draisaitl" yeah, but that seems to miss that Nuge is SUPPOSED to be an elite player that should be bringing more on his own.

I'm saying that a player can be useful to a contender without putting up a ton of points. Toews is having a horrible season but he's still a great 1/2C. RNH is obviously worse but he's playing a similar role for the Oilers.

RNH has simplified his game a ton. He rarely flashes his creativity any more because he's worried about getting out of position on defense. I hope he will find a happy balance but right now he's cheating hard towards D. Despite all of that he's still on pace for top line centre point totals.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't disagree with the assessment that he's not playing well. I obviously disagree that it warrants a demotion.

While I'm being disagreeable here, I also disagree with the rest of your post here. Sekera has been the best Oilers D man and has helped make Nurse look good, but it's a tough job to carry a rookie who is clearly starting to wilt a bit.

Nurse was as invisible as they get last night.. a good sign IMO
Sekera was a lot more noticeable in the bad ways last night. Sekera looks a lot better than he did when he first got here but when it comes to making mistakes he is a lot worse than Nurse. No one is flawless but Nurse of this season is a huge upgrade on what we saw from him last year. Nurse is a legit top 4 Dman IMO and has no business playing back in AHL.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Nurse was as invisible as they get last night.. a good sign IMO
Sekera was a lot more noticeable in the bad ways last night. Sekera looks a lot better than he did when he first got here but when it comes to making mistakes he is a lot worse than Nurse. No one is flawless but Nurse of this season is a huge upgrade on what we saw from him last year. Nurse is a legit top 4 Dman IMO and has no business playing back in AHL.

I find most of Sekera's flaws come from him having to actual think about how to do simple things (keep the puck inside the offensive blue line, clear the zone, etc...) on the right side of the ice. It will take a long time for him to overcome his instincts (LHD on the left side) that are working against him at this time.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

how many players in the Nhl get to play with linemates as prolific as Hall and Eberle who drive production. The gauge for Nuge is different as this is an outlier team stacked with offensive weapons that Nuge has had exclusive access to.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm saying that a player can be useful to a contender without putting up a ton of points. Toews is having a horrible season but he's still a great 1/2C. RNH is obviously worse but he's playing a similar role for the Oilers.

RNH has simplified his game a ton. He rarely flashes his creativity any more because he's worried about getting out of position on defense. I hope he will find a happy balance but right now he's cheating hard towards D. Despite all of that he's still on pace for top line centre point totals.

can't agree at all. Nuge was recently on ice for 17GA in a ten game stretch. Getting owned in those games repeatedly. Nuge wa getting out of position a ton of times during that stretch and leading to immediate GA.

People WANT him to be like Toews. Nuge doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence based on play.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I think we all know what we have in Nuge. We have a 60 point player with not a very big frame (kid not even shaving yet)

He would be considered a very good 2nd line NHL center.

He doesnt need to be a 1st on this team anymore. McDavid will be. With Drai coming on strong, not sure Nuge actually sticks around past a couple years. Really we have 2 years to make that call though. Might as well go for it with him here until McDavid signs his 2nd contract.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
can't agree at all. Nuge was recently on ice for 17GA in a ten game stretch. Getting owned in those games repeatedly.

People WANT him to be like Toews. Nuge doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence based on play.

I said he's playing a similar role, not that he's a similar player. He's not the primary offensive driver on the team but he is counter upon to match up against good players and eat a ton of minutes. He's a centre on the non-dominant line of his team, just like Toews.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
how many players in the Nhl get to play with linemates as prolific as Hall and Eberle who drive production. The gauge for Nuge is different as this is an outlier team stacked with offensive weapons that Nuge has had exclusive access to.

And there go the goalposts, racing into the distance. :shakehead

Funy thing: if you look at the last few years, Eberle's scoring rates plummet when you take him away from Nuge. Hall's also dips, albeit not as severely. You see the same thing with Eberle when you take him away from Hall. So Hall is a driver, no one would dispute that, but if there's a passenger here, it's Eberle.

As for the idea that this is some unprecedented collection of scoring talent that makes apples to apples comparisons impossible, what a joke. FFS, look at the names I've posted. Crosby had Malkin. Kane and Toews had each other. Stamkos had MSL. That good players do well when paired with other good players should come as a shock to absolutely no one and is certainly not evidence that any of those players are products of someone else's talent.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And there go the goalposts, racing into the distance. :shakehead

Funy thing: if you look at the last few years, Eberle's scoring rates plummet when you take him away from Nuge. Hall's also dips, albeit not as severely. You see the same thing with Eberle when you take him away from Hall. So Hall is a driver, no one would dispute that, but if there's a passenger here, it's Eberle.

As for the idea that this is some unprecedented collection of scoring talent that makes apples to apples comparisons impossible, what a joke. FFS, look at the names I've posted. Crosby had Malkin. Kane and Toews had each other. Stamkos had MSL. That good players do well when paired with other good players should come as a shock to absolutely no one and is certainly not evidence that any of those players are products of someone else's talent.
Do you have trouble with comprehension or logic? I was saying Nuge is the beneficiary of playing with elite offensive talent. Nobody is stating that other star players in this league that you mention are beneficiaries.

lol as well that Eberle, with way more career pts and goals/game than Nuge is the passenger in that context.

Last edited:

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
toews is payed 10.5 million a year. RNH, 6. RNH also has more points on the year.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
toews is payed 10.5 million a year. RNH, 6. RNH also has more points on the year.

Except Toews brings a superior two way game and has something like 60% on face offs which is amazing. Not to mention that he's clutch. I'd definitely take Toews over Nuge even if he's getting paid 4.5 million more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad