Oilers PP sinks them. 4-2 Rags

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
And Eberle's goal is a result of Nuge's great pass. Or you can look at RNH's goal against Buffalo, which is the result of RNH winning a battle behind the net and finding Eberle in front. Or Eberle's goal against Chicago on the PP which came off a rebound from a shot by...well, I think you can figure it out.

Actually having a #2dman would be huge for this team. The single biggest hole on this team right now is the one occupied by Jultz at the moment. If you plug a legit #2 into that role this team becomes instantly better in every way. You then have the massive upgrade that McD brings when he steps into Nuges spot. If you can get a legit top pairing guy for Nuge I wouldn't hesitate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
A laughable point with zero substantiation.

Eberle's EV GF% 2012-present: 2.54
With RNH: 2.67
Without: 2.26

GF% (with): 49.0
GF% (without): 40.8

Of course, even this is more substantiations you've produced other than your usual know-it-all smarm.

Eberle is a far more dangerous producer which almost anybody understands.

That's great, but no one has argued that RNH is a superior producer. Nice strawman though!

Absolutely lol at the suggestion that Hall benefits from playing with Nuge. Oh my.

lol away. Even a small, incremental benefit is a benefit.

What is it about "per game" that you don't understand?

You said "more career points" which is an absolute number.

Also, of the two Eberle suffers less injury and has had nearly 100more pts than Nuge while playing one more season. Which represents approximately 2 Nuge production seasons.

:laugh:

Eberle PPG: 0.78
RNH: 0.73

OH MY GOD IT'S NIGHT AND DAY :laugh:

Over an 82 game season, the difference in scoring rates there is worth about 2.5 points. A veritable chasm, for sure.

Oh for crying out loud. Most of Eberles goals come from something as simple as a dump into a position and him making a play out of virtually nothing

Oh "most of" you say? That's very convincing, I have definitely seen the light.

Indeed that's the magic of Eberle is he scores from situations and positions that few other players score from which is, yes, DRIVING those results.

And he often finds himself in those situations because of others' work. Literally half his goals this year are him finishing a play that someone else created. Which is obviously a valuable skill, but he's not Taylor frigging Hall. Eberle is magic from the opposition blue line in, but his utility decreases dramatically when you put him anywhere else.

In simplest terms when Eberle scores a great goal (and they often are) he's the biggest single ingredient and factor in those goals without which most of them don't occur.

Yes many goals would not occur without the player who scores them. Good lord.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
haha whats happening here..

RNH and Eberle are both valuable to the team and have looked decent being on the same line. Hopefully with Pouliot's addition this trio can start to dominate like they did at the end of last season.

We will need this line to get going since the Hal-Drai line seems to get shut down on road by opponents top D pariing.

ftr, and just to clarify, I want both Nuge and Eberle on the team but I want Nuge to be bringing more. Which he shows signs he can. Frankly Nuge looks dominant at times the few times he brings that level of play. Its very apparent that during different periods of time his production and play is pronounced or decreased. He's a player that can get hot. Eberle though has simply been the more productive player every year. Not sure how that can be argued. Every year.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Trading nuge would be a big mistake.
He's not playing the best hockey right now but center depth is so important.

With having nuge, mcd and drai it gives the oil so many lineup options.
Just imagine if we had traded nuge, and with mcdavid getting hurt, who would be our # 2 center? Hendricks? Letestu? Lander? That would be horrible.

Oilers are very close to having good depth throughout their lineup, proven by them playing competitive hockey with a lot of injuries. No need to make massive moves right now.
Good Coaching has done wonders to this lineup.
If we can play .500 hockey until mcd gets back, we'll be just fine.

Minor tweeks . Lander needs to be sent down. Keep Khaira and his size in the lineup.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle's EV GF% 2012-present: 2.54
With RNH: 2.67
Without: 2.26

GF% (with): 49.0
GF% (without): 40.8

Of course, even this is more substantiations you've produced other than your usual know-it-all smarm.

Heres something even more relevant that is actual production results. Eberle has had higher pts totals than Nuge every year. Which is value for the team.

That's great, but no one has argued that RNH is a superior producer. Nice strawman though!
Simply countering your notion of equivalent for all benefit and your strange assertion that Nuge drives results while Eberle is a passenger.

You said "more career points" which is an absolute number.
I said More Career pts/game should have obvious meaning. Otherwise why would I state /game. Meaning that in Eberles career he has had more pts/game than Nuge. Simple.

:laugh:

Eberle PPG: 0.78
RNH: 0.73

OH MY GOD IT'S NIGHT AND DAY :laugh:
Given the disparity in nuges lost games through injury, many more goals scored by Eberle, and many incidental and 2nd assists by Nuge the disparity is big enough. Consider as well that Nuge production per game has declined since his rookie season. He has never come close to that rate since. Now consider the relative players top seasons. Eberle 76, 65, 63, all higher than anything Nuge has put up

Yes many goals would not occur without the player who scores them. Good lord.
its counter to your suggestion that Nuge, not Eberle (the passenger you said, lol) drives those results. Perhaps you don't follow a lot of those assists Nuge is getting don't occur without Eberles uncanny and predatory scoring ability.

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Exactly. Suporters r the ones not Watchin and quoting stats. If u watch, like last nite, RNH's assist is the result of Eb's great finish. A that's usually how it works.

U trade Nuge for a 2d, and our offense wudnt skip a beat.

It's funny that you use that as an example as it was RNH's elite pass that made it even possible. Not many players could make a perfect pass like that in the amount of time he had.

Our offense would suck. Do you think Lander or Letestu makes that pass? In the long term, teams would focus on Hall/Drai and the Oilers would have no secondary scoring. McDavid might alleviate that but having three centres who are offensively gifted is a nightmare for other teams.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's funny that you use that as an example as it was RNH's elite pass that made it even possible. Not many players could make a perfect pass like that in the amount of time he had.

Our offense would suck. Do you think Lander or Letestu makes that pass? In the long term, teams would focus on Hall/Drai and the Oilers would have no secondary scoring. McDavid might alleviate that but having three centres who are offensively gifted is a nightmare for other teams.

Actually agree it was a very nice play by Nuge. But if one looks at any of Eberles other goals this year its mostly just Nuge putting the puck to a place and Eberle doing the important part and finishing goals few other players can finish.

That said Drais assist was nicer. What a pass. :handclap:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Heres something even more relevant that is actual production results. Eberle has had higher pts totals than Nuge every year. Which is value for the team.

Another goal post shift. Shocker.

Simply countering your notion of equivalent for all benefit and your strange assertion that Nuge drives results while Eberle is a passenger.

Look it's a simple fact that Eberle performs much better when he's on the ice with RNH than he does without. This suggests to me that these are two players who mesh well, better than other combos.

I said More Career pts/game should have obvious meaning. Otherwise why would I state /game.

It wasn't clearly stated at all, but whatever.

Given the disparity in nuges lost games through injury, many more goals scored by Eberle, and many incidental and 2nd assists by Nuge the disparity is big enough.

"Big enough" is right up there with "most of" in terms of valuable measures.

Consider as well that Nuge production per game has declined since his rookie season. He has never come close to that rate since. Now consider the relative players top seasons. Eberle 76, 65, 63, all higher than anything Nuge has put up

And? What's the relevance to the specific point?

its counter to your suggestion that Nuge, not Eberle (the passenger you said, lol) drives those results.

We've been through this: your assertion is that points=driving the play which is just simplistic.

Perhaps you don't follow a lot of those assists Nuge is getting don't occur without Eberles uncanny and predatory scoring ability

And, as I already patiently explained and illustrated through examples, a lot of Eberle's goals don't occur if someone doesn't put the puck on his stick in the first place. Goals aren't isolated events, you can't separate them from the sequences that occurred beforehand.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Imo hall is getting back to his old self and doing too much to try and score.

You could also make the argument that he is the only one doing anything.

He definitely gives his full effort every game and you can't fault him for much.

My "complaint" is that he needs to carry the workload on his line imo, ie forechecking. Sometimes he avoids physical play to wait for the drai pass but I think he is still figuring out that balance and it's getting away from him. He can't be a perimeter player. We just have too many.

#trashingourbestplayer

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Has it yeet to occur to some poster's that Nuge, Ebs, and Hall, among other players, tend to actually compliment each others game?

I don't see what the point of pitting each of the top players on the team consistently actually measures. Besides one fans liking of one player over another.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Taylor Halls tenacity and grit...Is what all forwards, on this team should try to exemplify...

GDcMS6W.gif

We have the talent..but without the determination and drive to take someone into the boards in the corner...

We get beat so many times on the end boards, because we chase the puck..

Play the man, not the puck philosophy... Wins games..

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Would I like to see players take the body more? Hell yes, having said that I think Nuge and Ebs have a much higher success rate stripping the puck than they do trying to take the body to separate man from puck. Nuge is especially good at picking pockets. Hall is a bull on skates and has the physical attributes to take the body on a regular basis and be successful at it. Yak is also built to do this, I know everyone rips on him and hes a flawed player but the guy is built like a brick ****house and its part of the reason im not ready to give up on him yet. He can use his stick and his body. Give Nuge a few years and I can see him being capable of doing it on a more regular basis too but at this time he cant knock a guy on his ass while maintaining control. Eberle occasionally surprises with a rare good hit but its few and far between and I have learned to accept it because he still brings enough to the table and is our best pure finisher unless Yak can reach his potential. Hall and Yak are have a power game, nuge and ebs dont. Gaudreau will never have a power game but you don't see flames fans running him out of town even though he's no Jerome Iginla. I have faith Chia will add heaviness to the team. Other than in pre season Schultz has been softer than baby **** and I am less willing to accept a dman that can't take the body. Rick Nash acted like he wasn't even there the other night. Im fine with having 1 small defenceman on the team but he has to be above average in all other areas to make up for it. Forwards I give more of a pass for being soft than I am a Dman.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Big game tonight. Not going to be easy, never is versus Chicago especially in Chicago. Such a tough building to play in and I just don't like our chances without Klefbom.

Pouliot is back. Not that he's done much this season but lets hope he gets going soon. We need him badly.

Anaheim plays Buffalo, San Jose plays Toronto, Arizona plays Columbus and Vancouver plays Philly. Christ, they could all easily win their games those are such LOL opponents.

Calgary is in tough with Dallas but knowing their 'team of destiny' style and record lately, wouldn't be surprised to see them win either.

I don't want to sound like a negative nancy but if we lose tomorrow night it could end up being a ****ing crappy night considering the other pacific teams are likely to win their games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad