Post-Game Talk: Oilers played with more jam

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Someone mentioned it earlier tonight but a big factor in Pettersson’s lacklustre performance these last 2 games is all because of McDavid, specifically how physical he was with Pettersson.

For all the hype that is made about McDavid’s skill he’s also got reasonable size and hasn’t shied away from getting physical, he just rarely has to because he’s a wizard with the puck.

The Oilers website has McDavid clocked in at 6’1” 193, Pettersson comes in at 6’2” 176. McDavid nearly has 20 pounds on Pettersson and it showed.

The scary part about that is that Elias can’t use his skill or speed to evade Connor. If Connor wants to hit him, he’s getting hit.
Bigger gap between McDavid and Pettersson than there is between Yamamoto and Pettersson.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
In typical Leon fashion, all the attention is on Connor, but he quietly has a 4 point night.

Only leading the NHL in points again, ho hum

B2C60655-2C29-4FBD-8D67-FCA96C5E7EDB.jpeg

Reactions: Oilhawks and ujju2

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Next game id run...

Kahun - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Nygard - Turris - Puljujarvi
Archibald - Shore - Chiasson
They say "never change a winning team" but I'd swap Kahun and Nuge and see what happens. I like the chemistry between Yammer and Nuge a lot more than the one between Yammer and Drai.

I really like that you included Nygard in your line up. He is being slept on big time and should really get a chance on that 3rd line.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I just can't get over this overwhelming urge to shit on the Canucks as a hockey team. The game has been over for like 5 hours and I still just want to rant about how f***ing mediocre they really are. I didn't feel that way AT ALL last year, I even defended them in the OOT thread.

Something about the nonsense narrative around that team in the last 6 months has really pee'd in my cereal.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Since im bored with nothing better to do.

Was looking at stats from our first 56 games last year.

Draisaitl 56gp 87 points
McDavid 54gp 80 points
RNH 50gp 42 points

40 points in 50 games is solid production, but putting it next to the statline of Draisaitl and McDavid just make's it look ridiculous.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Since im bored with nothing better to do.

Was looking at stats from our first 56 games last year.

Draisaitl 56gp 87 points
McDavid 54gp 80 points
RNH 50gp 42 points

40 points in 50 games is solid production, but putting it next to the statline of Draisaitl and McDavid just make's it look ridiculous.
Crazy thing is give Connor those extra 2 games and he could very well be at the top of the list lmao.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Puljujarvi had a great game IMO.

Agreed. The points will come if he keeps that up. What a sweet pass to Archibald. Its good to see he got rewarded with PP time. I can actually see him finding a spot on the 1st line

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Now lemme see:

Nuge - Mcdavid - Yamo
Kahun - Drai - Pulju
Ennis - Turris - Kassian
Mcleod - Shore - Archie

Nurse - Bear
4K - Barrie
Bouch - Larsson

Fire Khaira and Chiasson into the mf sun

I like what u have here. Jones definitely struggled last night. I am very impressed with 4K. Good handle whoever named that.

Reactions: 780il

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I called this game last night. I said McD would get the birthday hatty, and a 5-2 Oilers win for yesterday. Looks like my prediction arrived a day late, I'll take it.

Solid win by the Oilers and deserved it all the way.

YES U DID
I one upped you at the time and went 6-3 with a birthday hatty.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
4 1/2 years of middling results with Drai and McDavid together, because it leaves us with a weak second line, wasn't enough evidence for you?

Draisaitl won the Hart as the centre on his own line.

No. Do not put McDavid and Draisaitl together on their primary lines.

Have each of them centre their own lines but play them together immediately after PKs and PPs, which is what Tippett did tonight. That is the best way to utilize Draisaitl and McDavid.

I noticed he had Yamo there a few times as well. I liked it

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Pretty good game overall. Love seeing McDrai poppin' off again, but man, would be nice to see some separate production aside from Yamamoto...

Also Jesse was beasting out there, and would have a few points already if Archibald and Turris could bury his passes

I wish Turris would get that wrist shot off more. He has a deadly one, He shot short side once and it just missed and hit glass. What a hard shot

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Agreed on everything. I want to have more faith in Tippet and I want the club run a little more strategically. You can be a player's coach but someone needs to crack the whip if the fundamentals are not being preformed.

Even the point shots that miss are going to eventually take a toll on the shot blockers. Rush the point and force the pass.

Nice to get the win and the two points.

I'm drunk and going to sleep.

Good luck in the morning. I got hammered 1st game and went to bed at 2AM (Im in NS), Very rough day at work. I drank 2 lakes of water

Reactions: oilers'72

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
The one thing that is making the difference on this team is Yamamoto. On the last goal, he pounces on a turnover and immediately attacks the middle of the ice. There are 4 Canucks who are much larger than him and he just went to the area that you need to go in order to make things happen. That greasy facial hair makes him fearless. He reminds me of a young Brad Marchand

Tyler Myers is almost a foot taller than him and Yamamoto skated directly at him to make the play. This is what Johny Gaudreau used to and why he was so effective.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's almost like they needed a game to get the kinks out. Who would've figured?

You know if the NHL did that before the regular season it would probably be a really good idea. It could also be like an exhibition to show off all of the shiny new toys and prospects. You know what, that's what they should call it, an exhibition season. I'm sure it would be a hit.
Biggest thing I saw, that the finally stop doing, was giving so much space and respect to their opponent, instead of treating them like a team they could just go beat. It was a nice change as well.

I have a few worries, one is whether or not Kahun has finish. He's got good speed and skill, plays will Drai and Honeybadger, but I worry if the level of finish isn't there

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I think some of you guys are underrating the chemistry between Drai and Yamamoto.

Every time Yams enters the zone he stops back and looks for a late man. Drai does the same thing, just with a huge frame and insane puck protection. They love their drop passes and give-and-goes, I'd keep them together for the time being.

That said, I'd consider moving Puljujarvi up to McDavid's line, but it's probably best to let him establish some chemistry with Turris first. He was shuffled around way too much in his first stint here, I think we have to give him a bit of consistency. Really like what I'm seeing from him so far.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Did anyone else notice in the first 10ish minutes or so McDavid was feisty a couple of almost huge hits.

Don't recall him doing that often

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad