News Article: Oilers+ New streaming service

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
$15 for a tall boy at a marquee Vegas club would be a dream. ;). No sense bitching about food and booze prices at entertainment venues, they’ve always been excessive. If you can afford it and enjoy the experience, go for it. If not, you have lots of other less expensive options for your entertainment dollar.

No kidding hey.

$400 for a bottle of crappy vodka (the cheapest bottle on the menu) just to be able to have a seat in a Vegas club and that was a decade ago.

Bottle of Jack was about $900. All in US.

Rogers and the Oilers don’t even scratch the paint when it comes to expensive food and dining at entertainment complexes.

Walmart was once a monopoly

Sure the Oilers are a monopoly in Edmonton but their streaming service isn't. Not even close. That won't last very long. Terrible business model.

Of course I will tune into their streaming without paying $$ like any sane person would. Just google the illegal streaming and save the $4/mth or $10/mth

Walmart was a monopoly? Sam’s, Costco, Target beg to differ.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Based on recent experience in both LA and New York sports concession stands - we are definitely only being gouged at an Edmonton level in comparison.

I cringe whenever I think about the number in Canadian $ on my credit card statement for each charge at venues in each of these locales. We're talking $15 USD + for a tall can of light beer.
My suds of choice, Strongbow Dry Cider cost 18bucks last time I went to an event at Rogers pre pandemic. Thats for normal size, not tall. For 24bucks I can get 8 cans. But not at Rogers..;)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Post game show is an absolute mess. Audio doesn't even work on the player interviews
Between it not working and having to pay for post game interviews and pulling them off tv/YouTube I guess it’s just less Oilers content I watch this year. I already pay an obscene amount for cable just to watch the team, I’m not paying extra for standard free content

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Between it not working and having to pay for post game interviews and pulling them off tv/YouTube I guess it’s just less Oilers content I watch this year. I already pay an obscene amount for cable just to watch the team, I’m not paying extra for standard free content
Yeah I'm kind of choked about this, I always watched the post game before falling asleep. Pretty disappointed in that decision, especially considering the amount of money they'll realistically bring in from this service. It's not gonna be a significant amount of money, relatively.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I'm kind of choked about this, I always watched the post game before falling asleep. Pretty disappointed in that decision, especially considering the amount of money they'll realistically bring in from this service. It's not gonna be a significant amount of money, relatively.
The die hards will throw money at it at the expense of the casual average fan.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The die hards will throw money at it at the expense of the casual average fan.
I'm not even sure it's the die hards. Like I can't imagine being more dedicated of a fan as I am, but it just comes down to how you choose to spend your money I guess. I love hockey, love watching the team, but I can't justify another monthly subscription for this. I dunno, I appreciated that they kept the ads off the jerseys and helmets this year, and it would've been nice if they didn't take away the post-game interviews. But whatever, it is what it is.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I'm not even sure it's the die hards. Like I can't imagine being more dedicated of a fan as I am, but it just comes down to how you choose to spend your money I guess. I love hockey, love watching the team, but I can't justify another monthly subscription for this. I dunno, I appreciated that they kept the ads off the jerseys and helmets this year, and it would've been nice if they didn't take away the post-game interviews. But whatever, it is what it is.
Kinda BS thinking tbh, fans have say, and they say with their wallet.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
What a shit service. Lagged all night, cutting/dropping audio. Youtube was much better than this junk

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I didn't mean it that way, more like I'm not gonna lose sleep over the billion dollar company extracting every dollar out of their most loyal fans. It's sad that they decided to do it, just sucks.

Sorry, for the misunderstanding, it kinda reflects some of thought processes of people who are actually paying for it, because they start doing this now, what else are they gonna charge people for because people don't give second thought of the long term impact when they mindlessly pay for it. Thanks for correcting me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'd rather watch Evanka Osmak anyhoo post game. After a few hours I've seen enough guys on the screen. Just saying.

I don't really get this "content" thing. Never did. 100 games in a year is a lot of content. Its enough for me. But people start each season the same way they want to eat, sleep and shower in hockey content then they hit a wall and by January they're bored stiff. Long haul baby. Theres enough hockey viewing.

I'll do the back in the day thing. back in the day you were lucky to see your team televised a dozen times in regular season. Maybe 20 depending on broadcasters involved. yes, vast majority were only on radio.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather watch Evanka Osmak anyhoo post game. After a few hours I've seen enough guys on the screen. Just saying.

I don't really get this "content" thing. Never did. 100 games in a year is a lot of content. Its enough for me. But people start each season the same way they want to eat, sleep and shower in hockey content then they hit a wall and by January they're bored stiff. Long haul baby. Theres enough hockey viewing.

I'll do the back in the day thing. back in the day you were lucky to see your team televised a dozen times in regular season. Maybe 20 depending on broadcasters involved. yes, vast majority were only on radio.
I mostly just liked to watch the coach interview and then the highlights, which I'm sure sportsnet is still posting. But yeah, was mostly just routine tbh.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mostly just liked to watch the coach interview and then the highlights, which I'm sure sportsnet is still posting. But yeah, was mostly just routine tbh.
i like Sutters comments. Short and to the point. Woody goes on and on for like 10minutes. jebus you're a headcoach, you're not Jimmy page playing a guitar solo. Its not that interesting listening lol. I know people here like him but takes 5minutes to say nothing. I could listen to him for 3 days in a row and not know what his instructions to players or team is which is I guess part of the genuis but no comment works just as well...

heh. yeah, prefer Sutter. "Theres a plane at the airport, be on it"

PeteEakins

Oct 9, 2021
Who's paying 3.75 a month? It was literally free before and the Oilers brand was still making money.
I'm seriously losing trust with this gong show streaming service.
Im a grown, gainfully employed man with money. I will. Someone please give me the coupon code.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So post games are on YouTube for free now. They were posted 30 mins ago (12:15am), so essentially an hour and 15 minutes after the game ends.

It’s not the same as live post game, buts it’s close.

Reactions: Magnum23

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I subscribed a couple days back and watched the Drop shows. Found them meh. I didn't think that the team would be delaying/cancelling pre and post game stuff and making it pay only. Based on that I cancelled my subscription.

If it were just a bunch of new content I'd be happy to pay for it. I won't pay though if it's the Oilers putting content that was free behind a paywall. I don't like the principal of that model so I'll vote with my wallet.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I subscribed a couple days back and watched the Drop shows. Found them meh. I didn't think that the team would be delaying/cancelling pre and post game stuff and making it pay only. Based on that I cancelled my subscription.

If it were just a bunch of new content I'd be happy to pay for it. I won't pay though if it's the Oilers putting content that was free behind a paywall. I don't like the principal of that model so I'll vote with my wallet.
I signed up. Most of the content is trash.

I cancelled my subscription as well.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Not paying for it and I guess theres no point in following media members on social media anymore if they've been muzzled post-game

Reactions: PBandJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad