News Article: Oilers+ New streaming service

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
So what do you guys think about this?

More info: Oilers+

8.99/month or 69.99/year

First 3 days free and then $$$. Feels a bit weird to pay for pre- and postgame interviews. Like what?

I remember Oil Shift, which was free. Good production and bad results.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Duder54

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If this is a new service that offers more information and access, cool, but no thanks at that price.

If this is replacing our normal free web content entirely than this is honestly embarrassing for the club.

Completely agree. Maybe at $3.99 a month, but C'mon... they should be investing money to keep fans hooked on the team 24 hours a day, rather than trying to profit on that part of it. It builds the type of devotion that leads to meaningful purchases like jersey sales, seasons tickets and a larger base of devotees that they, or their handsomely paying advertising partners, can market to.

Also... this service is all but guaranteed to be blacked out in out of market locations, where remote Oiler fans might actually need it to keep up on all things Oilers.

Reactions: ujju2

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Have they lost their f***ing minds?
The Product is the GAME.

This is supplemental marketing material. Why the f*** would they hide it behind a paywall?

Has ANYONE in the Oilers Organization ever taken a god damn marketing class in the last 40 years, because this is a Branding and Marketing 101 mistake.

Trying to monetizing your marketing is a TERRIBLE idea.

The new age of product development is about community engagement and fostering growth. This is why Discord is so huge now, people want to talk shop to feel like they're active participants in the success of a product. Getting people to PAY to be in that community is how you absolutely kill it.

f*** these morons. I bet it's the same idiot who brought in the Octane girls.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
This is ridiculous.

The only reason I still have cable TV is I don't want to mess around trying to find streams for the Oilers games.

No, I'm not going to pay an extra $3.99 a month because the Oilers don't want to provide this content to Sportsnet subscribers.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Personality wise the Oilers are not the most exciting group of guys to follow. Pretty vanilla and bland. Content would be much more entertaining if they added 5 x Kanes

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
If this is a new service that offers more information and access, cool, but no thanks at that price.

If this is replacing our normal free web content entirely than this is honestly embarrassing for the club.
Back in the early 2000s sportsnet had pay per view games For each canadian team. Production was largely the same as the cable except with a little behind the scenes stuff like Alexi Semenov saying “this is for my mother back in Russia”

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
So they want me to pay 8.99/month for the content they play between periods on the scoreboard?

1665498187705.png

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Use the promo code 3MONTHSFREE at checkout with the yearly model and it brings it down to about 46 after tax.

I signed up because I'm obsessed with the team and im weak lol. I will pay for the 48 hour on demand full game access and the documentary style content. The rest is kind of bonus.

They have 5 full documentary style episodes from the playoffs last year to the off-season with ken and the draft. I'll post my thoughts after I watch the content.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Is their a $1.99 low quality steaming for those that can only afford minimum internet?, or those that live out in rural areas that cannot access to high speed net.
Plus the financial gap for people to afford something like this is a luxury considering we are still in the aftermath of a major pandemic, an escalating war and the rising inflation rate with no prediction when it will stop.
Just reading some posts, and you can tell people are tired of being nickel and dimed from everything.
It just highlights something bigger than just an Oilers Streaming service, which only a few can afford, and some may not be able to watch if it requires high speed net to even load, and do not have access to because of location.

On a separate note that highlights something bigger, the financial gap between big businesses and corporations vs the average Joe has been unsustainable for a while now, where there is not enough economy given back to the normal joe to spend considering how much the normal Joe has build ivory towers for the very few using their labour intensive hard earned crumbs that, tbh, don't seem very grateful considering the comforts that they enjoy and honestly everyone should be able to have if the economy was actually regulated properly/fairly and "everyone" are paying their taxes. There shouldn't be exceptions especially those that have more than enough.

Back to the Oilers streaming. Some people may be able to afford it. Some may have net to load it.
But it is a little Rich considering if some people can only afford one streaming service at a time considering their financial circumstances during a very difficult time for everyone.

Idk, might be good to throw Oiler fans a bone until the economy straightens out.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
can you go back and watch any Oiler game they've ever broadcasted?
I believe I read you get full on-demand access to games 48 hours after airing, not sure if it dates back to all time.

They do have a link to all seasons of oil change that aired on here.

I'll post my review of the product later today for anyone interested.

If you want to sign up use 3MONTHSFREE for the total to come down to just over $45 for the year

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
On a separate note that highlights something bigger, the financial gap between big businesses and corporations vs the average Joe has been unsustainable for a while now, where there is not enough economy given back to the normal joe to spend considering how much the normal Joe has build ivory towers for the very few using their labour intensive hard earned crumbs that, tbh, don't seem very grateful considering the comforts that they enjoy and honestly everyone should be able to have if the economy was actually regulated properly/fairly and "everyone" are paying their taxes. There shouldn't be exceptions especially those that have more than enough.
Neat ideas. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad