News Article: Oilers+ New streaming service

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I subscribed a couple days back and watched the Drop shows. Found them meh. I didn't think that the team would be delaying/cancelling pre and post game stuff and making it pay only. Based on that I cancelled my subscription.

If it were just a bunch of new content I'd be happy to pay for it. I won't pay though if it's the Oilers putting content that was free behind a paywall. I don't like the principal of that model so I'll vote with my wallet.

It looks like it’s just the “live streams”, they put the post games up on YouTube later

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The behind the scenes stuff on Trade deadline day was pretty cool seeing inside the war room as Holland was talking trade and salary cap (Paul Coffey was there as was Bobby Nicks among many others) as was seeing Woody drop multiple F bombs (bleeped out) in the dressing room when congratulating the team on making the playoffs.

F Bombs and Woody just don’t seem to suit each other - he seems so wholesome and not so Bruce Beaudreau.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
So other NHL teams have their behind the scenes series free on YouTube and Oilers charging for this content.... lovely

Honestly it isn't even completely about the money. I hate piling on subscriptions for all these streaming services.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I see the Oil are heavily handed in tipping to Oilers + features even on their front page website which is now half redirections to sign in for Oilers +. I wonder if this is temporary or will be ongoing. Kind of silly putting half the content behind a pay wall. If they want to do that fine. But don't use your website as one big advertisement of an external source of locked videos.

I see also that the claims that TV or online viewers not subscribed would not be losing out is false. The postgame live viewing is limited to non existent now and just taking place on Oilers + in real time.

Again not a big deal now but will be in playoffs.

Reactions: AM and Oilers

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I see the Oil are heavily handed in tipping to Oilers + features even on their front page website which is now half redirections to sign in for Oilers +. I wonder if this is temporary or will be ongoing. Kind of silly putting half the content behind a pay wall. If they want to do that fine. But don't use your website as one big advertisement of an external source of locked videos.

I see also that the claims that TV or online viewers not subscribed would not be losing out is false. The postgame live viewing is limited to non existent now and just taking place on Oilers + in real time.

Again not a big deal now but will be in playoffs.
I was telling a friend before this was released, "why do the Oilers not have a behind the scenes series. They have the most exciting player in the last 10,15,20 years and do nothing to promote".

Now they have all this and you have to pay? like wtf, who is paying for Oilers+ if you aren't an Edmonton fan? Where if it was free, I'd guarantee a big portion of the hockey community watches

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
So anyone actually pay for this?

The only interesting thing was this recent uhh drop episode over fa's.
Not paying for it, but curious

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So anyone actually pay for this?

The only interesting thing was this recent uhh drop episode over fa's.
Not paying for it, but curious

Yup and I do love the Drop episodes. Other than that nothing special unless you like watching Tony Brar work out.

Unless they have more content I am interested in though I probably Drop it next season.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
They have added the condensed game feature (20mins) to this now. Someone was asking earlier today but not sure which thread. They seem to be adding new content on a daily basis and the series appears to be improving. Last episode covering free agency had quite a bit of behind the scenes goings on.

I'd sure like them to add the Making Coco documentary to their list. If anyone from the Oilers is reading here please make it happen.:thumbu:

Last edited:

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
What are the details on this? If there was a condensed video released the same game day I'd cancel my cable.
They have the Buffalo game up there but not sure when exactly they first had it up. I just noticed today an hour or so ago. That one is 23 mins with a collection of what appears to be the most important portions of the game. Although I suppose you are at the mercy of who ever is doing the editing. I can keep an eye on it and let you know if it is release same day or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot (308).png
    Screenshot (308).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: Chet Manley

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
They have the Buffalo game up there but not sure when exactly they first had it up. I just noticed today an hour or so ago. That one is 23 mins with a collection of what appears to be the most important portions of the game. Although I suppose you are at the mercy of who ever is doing the editing.
Will probably stick with the PVR then. I like having the entire game minus ads and intermissions.... enough to buy a condensed stream that could provide that.

Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
After giving this some thought, I think I owe to the Oilers to buy this service.

- They didn’t sell their soul for advertisers on their Jersey or Helmet last year.
- I’m always complaining about Rogers and not giving them money but I do want to give money direct to the Oilers and this gives me a way.
- I assume if the Oilers can be more financially free they can eventually kick Rogers and their stupid ass name to the curb.
- I like behind the scenes stuff, who doesn’t?

Couple of questions for this that have this service.
1. Do they have full game replays?
2. How do you access the content? There’s an app and a website?
3. Does the App work on Android operating systems or android TV? Just want to watch this content on my Streaming box off.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
After giving this some thought, I think I owe to the Oilers to buy this service.

- They didn’t sell their soul for advertisers on their Jersey or Helmet last year.
- I’m always complaining about Rogers and not giving them money but I do want to give money direct to the Oilers and this gives me a way.
- I assume if the Oilers can be more financially free they can eventually kick Rogers and their stupid ass name to the curb.
- I like behind the scenes stuff, who doesn’t?

Couple of questions for this that have this service.
1. Do they have full game replays?
2. How do you access the content? There’s an app and a website?
3. Does the App work on Android operating systems or android TV? Just want to watch this content on my Streaming box off.
1. I believe it is just condensed replays
2. Pretty good app and a website
3. Yes although I haven't tried it.

Note - they did sell their away helmet ad space to Skip the Dishes...

pseudoreality

Jan 10, 2017
A 23 minute replay posted by 6 AM the next day would interest me. I don't have time to watch a 2.5 hr game three times a week, but I do workout every morning in my home gym at 630AM. Right now I just put on the 8 minute highlights from Sportsnet YouTube, which isn't bad because I get to see a few games, but a 23 minute oiler game would be better.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
A 23 minute replay posted by 6 AM the next day would interest me. I don't have time to watch a 2.5 hr game three times a week, but I do workout every morning in my home gym at 630AM. Right now I just put on the 8 minute highlights from Sportsnet YouTube, which isn't bad because I get to see a few games, but a 23 minute oiler game would be better.

6F82DC6A-3B9D-44F0-8DB9-BF557AF0F7C4.jpeg

Every game like this plus they just posted the last Oilers Blues game they played last year in a 20 minute format. 6-5 OT win for the Oil.

My son in Europe will love this app actually as he is busy and can enjoy the Oilers content and games at his own pace.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I want to buy this and support the team and get that sweet Oilers content but found a deal breaker for the moment. No way to get this on Android TV OS, so I can't watch on my OLED. Android TV is advertised as compatible on Oilersplus website too. But no App available for Download on there.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Was going to say the movie theatre example.

I don’t get the whining tbh. Going to a hockey game is a luxury. Don’t like the prices? Then don’t go. Someone else will gladly take your spot.

Same applies with Oilers+.

OEG is a business. They are here to make money off of you
You know there are economics involved.

It IS possible to make way more sales on volume over price gouging. Losing food sales to pre-game restaurants should be a factor.

There's economics involved with costco selling hotdogs for so cheap, or why the grocery stores sell rotisserie chicken at a loss.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
You know there are economics involved.

It IS possible to make way more sales on volume over price gouging. Losing food sales to pre-game restaurants should be a factor.

There's economics involved with costco selling hotdogs for so cheap, or why the grocery stores sell rotisserie chicken at a loss.

There will always be people buying at the rink out of sheer convenience regardless of the price. The people that attend the games are already mentally prepared to spend just by being there already.

I'm not denying its price gouging. But that's just how private entertainment organizations will operate. Expecting anything else is just being willfully ignorant

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
For anyone that is interested the Oilers condensed game or Oilers in 20 as they are calling it now is on the Oilers+ site for the Blues game. Roughly an hour after the game. I'm not sure if it being an afternoon game will affect that time. It's only13 minutes this tiime so the game must have been a real snooze fest. Good thing I missed it...ffs...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For anyone that is interested the Oilers condensed game or Oilers in 20 as they are calling it now is on the Oilers+ site for the Blues game. Roughly an hour after the game. I'm not sure if it being an afternoon game will affect that time. It's only13 minutes this tiime so the game must have been a real snooze fest. Good thing I missed it...ffs...
The hilites of this game could last 1 minute. lmao that NaturalHattrick had the Oilers having 28 scoring chances in this game. What game were they were watching? Did they erroneously watch last years games?

But if you subcrribe to Oilers + right now the Oilers tied this game late and won in OT. This is part of the remastered enhanced game package using scoring plays we had last season against the Blues. Membership has its privs.

Last edited:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I want to subscribe for the 3 days to watch the drop then cancel... can you watch on like an xbox or firestick or anything? I don't want to do it if I have to watch on my computer. Cant seem to figure that out. Anyone know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad