Proposal: Oilers Neal for Predators Turris

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Also, technically RNH (and Larsson) does not need to be protected either if there is a handshake deal made.
Oilers can leave the pending UFA unprotected and extend him after the expansion draft.
If Seattle somehow still selects him he can just go to free agency and sign back with Oilers.
I suspect an extension will be n lace prior to that, so I put him on the list. I also think Larsson will be moved prior. The asset we acquire in that trade would need to ED except imo.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Turris isn't a "checking center" at all. He's a soft 2C offensive center at best. If you put him in a 3C role and on the PK, he might skate well enough and have generally enough IQ to not completely cripple your team or anything in that role, but he certainly wouldn't be ideally suited for it.

For our team, I'm far more comfortable with either of Bonino or Sissons as checking centers. Turris isn't very good on draws, and he's physically shy. Skating and anticipation are pretty decent for him, but still, he doesn't come within the ballpark of what people usually think of for the stereotype of a "checking center" anyway.

If he's on what you call a 3rd line, it's probably more of "hybrid" line than a stereotypical checking line. Depending on the wingers, maybe. But don't rely on Turris defensively, I'd say.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Yup, for Oilers the dropoff from Neal to Chiasson isn't big and for NSH the dropoff between Turris and their other 3C options are not big.
This is swap made in heaven. Too bad Turris is signed for that additional year. The difference in contract length should offset the difference in talent.
I agree except for the swap being made in heaven... not hell, maybe a swap made in purgatory haha

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Buffalo comes to mind. It would be more of a reclamation project though, so I wouldn’t expect great value.
I would think if Buffalo was taking on Turris they would want to move an "over paid" player in return.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Uggghhhhh the Oilers already have a Turris, his name is RNH. LOL
I think that if Turris was on a team that was a better fit for him, he'd put up 60-65 points which is more in line with what RNH

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Just because Turris doesn't fit into the Preds current roster, doesn't mean he's absolutely worthless. He's still a good center and if a team would actually let him slot into their 2nd line then I will all but guarantee he puts up numbers closer to his Ottawa days.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Buffalo comes to mind. It would be more of a reclamation project though, so I wouldn’t expect great value.
Right, in fact, I wouldn't ask for anything at all for him. I meant "value" more in terms of Turris being in a role that made his contract seem like more reasonable value for the role he plays. He's not worth $6M right now as a utility player bouncing all over the lineup, that's for sure. There's some chance he could be worth $6M again to a team that is actually willing to commit to using him in a significant role again.

There's a limit to how far I'd go in terms of taking "negative" value back for him though. In Nashville we maybe have a bit of a soft spot for Neal, as fans, but for example we're not touching Okposo.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Neal's contract is 1 year shorter. (Neal's contract has more value)
Neal is making 250K less per season. (It's too little of a difference to care about.
Turris is 2 years younger. (That matters. He should be in his prime. Easily trump's 1 more year if it's only costing Edmonton 3M on the last year when Neal's contract has expired.)
Neither player's contract has signing bonuses, so they aren't buy-out proof... but I feel like both teams are trying to compete now so buyouts are just going to handicap them.
Nobody is going to argue that Turris provides more value to his team. He isn't going to score 30 goals, but when Neal isn't scoring he doesn't provide as much value to his team as Turris does and we all know how streaky Neal is.

I've got a better idea.

When the expansion draft comes around Edmonton can offer Caleb Jones + 2022 1st rounder for Seattle to take Neal.
I don't know who Nashville has in terms of young up and comers who look like they're going to stick in the NHL and actually have some value, but they can do the same thing.

I really like that Vegas is a competitive team and that they got a bunch of picks coming out of the gate and I hope the same thing happens to Seattle.

Oil fans might not like the idea of paying a premium to get rid of Neal's contract, but we're in the cap era and I'd rather just get rid of a contract if it's possible instead of taking on another contract... especially a longer one.
Are you familiar with Neals contract much? After this next season a buyout becomes a very good option. It would come with a 4 year penalty, but only 1.9M per season, saving 3.833M per year against the cap though for the last 2 years of the deal. Why would they trade a first round pick for someone to take that contract rather than eat the 1.9M per year?

People think Holland was smart for trading Lucic for Neal because of the difference in contributions. Not the real genius, he’s smart for trading a buyout proof contract in Lucic for a non buyout proof in Neal.

I get people will say “ Well you retained 750K on Lucic then have to pay a Neal penalty of 1.9M”, but they won’t probably remember that Edmonton was rumored to be considering buying out Lucic, which his contract carries next to little value in savings if bought out.

Reactions: brenden

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Are you familiar with Neals contract much? After this next season a buyout becomes a very good option. It would come with a 4 year penalty, but only 1.9M per season, saving 3.833M per year against the cap though for the last 2 years of the deal. Why would they trade a first round pick for someone to take that contract rather than eat the 1.9M per year?

People think Holland was smart for trading Lucic for Neal because of the difference in contributions. Not the real genius, he’s smart for trading a buyout proof contract in Lucic for a non buyout proof in Neal.

I get people will say “ Well you retained 750K on Lucic then have to pay a Neal penalty of 1.9M”, but they won’t probably remember that Edmonton was rumored to be considering buying out Lucic, which his contract carries next to little value in savings if bought out.

So would you rather have Neal or save 3.833M per season? I think I'd rather him score some more goals.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
So would you rather have Neal or save 3.833M per season? I think I'd rather him score some more goals.
I think he is talking after the 20/21 season which is about where I would rather save the $3.833. The other option is giving up more than Seattle would get from us in the ED to get them to pick Neal.

I would say something like Lavoie and a 2nd for them to pick Neal.

This protects our defencemen and rids us of Neal. He can be a veteran leader for them and help that team in that role. They get a good young winger and a good pick as compensation.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
How many more goals do you really think he’s going to score? He was awful after Jan 1 this year and Yes I know he fought injury. If he were to score say less than 10 next year, no doubt you buy him out after next season. That 3.83 M could easily be spun into a more useful 30-40 point player at the least, UFA are going to come cheap the next few years. You also just said in your above post you’d give Seattle a first round pick to take his contract, which is an awful idea when it can be bought out.

Outside of his hot start he was virtually only useful on the power play this year. Which when you plan to run Mcdavid/Drai/ RNH/ Klefbom or Bouchard/ and virtually anyone, that anyone will easily be able to score 10-15 goals per year.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Well Edmonton is reportedly interested in resigning Green to a 1 year contract. They've got Bear, Benning, Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson and Russel on the roster already. Plus Bouchard is going to be pushing his way into the roster. Broberg comes later after that.

Sooooo because we have some depth on the back end you are suggesting we give away good players for nothing? Is that what you are saying?

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
What is turris's contract?

If zuccarello is willing to wave, could there be a swap of the 2?

Not that Turris is great or anything, but the wild need a center, and maybe swapping bad contracts for positions of need would be beneficial for both teams?
This comment may have been overlooked but I like this trade for Nashville. I think Zuccarello is the best player out of the three names in this thread (Neal turris zucc)

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Uggghhhhh the Oilers already have a Turris, his name is RNH. LOL
I think that if Turris was on a team that was a better fit for him, he'd put up 60-65 points which is more in line with what RNH

Kinda. Sorta. I guess.

As second-line centers, sure they're somewhat comparable. But RNH has also shown that he's a very good top-6 LW (with proven chemistry with both McDavid and Draisaitl) and excellent special-teams player.

Nuge is an incredibly valuable player for the oilers. Certainly more so than Turris would be.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think Neal has more value to be honest.
Neal isn’t the player he once was no doubt. But he still has a good shot and hands around the net, IMO he probably holds more value to Edmonton as a net front PP guy then anywhere else.

As for Turris, no way, don’t care for the player, but really don’t care for the added Term compared to Neal. If Edmonton wants to be rid of Neal that bad a buyout next offseason becomes very feasible. Edmonton just starts to get out from under Chia’s cap issues next year, no need to add more.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
While I wouldn't be oppossed to Turris for Neal, I'm not sure he's a piece the Oil need.

Getting a skilled RHS for the top 9 would be nice (and likely more valuable than Neal), but I can't help but think Turris would look as useless as RNH as the #3C.

It's not his game, and I'm not a fan of taking one of the big 3 forwards here off the top PP unit so Turris can get an opportunity to shine and/or build up his confidence.

If you can drug Poile, a Russell+ for Benino swap would be far better fit for EDM.

The team needs a centre that can succeed eating up 5v5 and PK time, not someone that needs PP time to be effective.

Personally, I'm fine with the team keeping Haas and Khaira (and Sheahan, if he re-signs on the cheap) as stopgaps until McLeod and/or Marody seize the spots.

If you want more offence in the bottom 6, then just re-sign Ennis on the cheap.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
While I wouldn't be oppossed to Turris for Neal, I'm not sure he's a piece the Oil need.

Getting a skilled RHS for the top 9 would be nice (and likely more valuable than Neal), but I can't help but think Turris would look as useless as RNH as the #3C.

It's not his game, and I'm not a fan of taking one of the big 3 forwards here off the top PP unit so Turris can get an opportunity to shine and/or build up his confidence.

If you can drug Poile, a Russell+ for Benino swap would be far better fit for EDM.

The team needs a centre that can succeed eating up 5v5 and PK time, not someone that needs PP time to be effective.

Personally, I'm fine with the team keeping Haas and Khaira (and Sheahan, if he re-signs on the cheap) as stopgaps until McLeod and/or Marody seize the spots.

If you want more offence in the bottom 6, then just re-sign Ennis on the cheap.
I don't think moving Russell to get Turris is a smart long term move cap wise

The ideal situation would be to trade Neal for a similar contract the fills a greater need in the lineup.

How would you feel about Neal FOR Henrique?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

This is valid. Turris would be running into the same problems in Edmonton if he wasn't being provided the opportunity. Edmonton has had trouble finding consistent offense from the bottom six over the years.

But I will add that Athanasiou might be a reasonably solid compliment on that line, so from a team perspective having them there wouldn't be the worst.

It's also possible that Turris could switch out with McDavid as C on the top line, which would likely improve Turris' output.

IMO Kyle Turris is more likely to redeem his value, which is why I don't hesitate to make this deal straight up. But neither guy in this deal is really a great fit in Edmonton's current roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Just because Turris doesn't fit into the Preds current roster, doesn't mean he's absolutely worthless. He's still a good center and if a team would actually let him slot into their 2nd line then I will all but guarantee he puts up numbers closer to his Ottawa days.
This is definitely the case. He was fine after the initial trade, dealt with injuries in year 2 and then was mostly jerked around with Lavy not seeming to like him and this organization's inexplicable obsession with acquiring Matt Duchene this past season. He's been one of the whipping boys on the Preds forum but he'll still do well as a middle 6 center with PP time wherever he ends up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad