Proposal: Oilers Neal for Predators Turris

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Turris has struggled the last 2 seasons in NSH, is signed for a year longer at more AAV, scores far less and is not real happy with his utilization in NSH.

He is better of the 2 players but Neal is someone like by NSH organization and fans and may be a better fit on the team.

NSH is loaded down the middle and can easily replace Turris' position within.

With cap staying flat this swap would help both clubs.

I would take at least one or maybe 2 '>' off in the equation making it Turris > Neal.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Neal's contract is 1 year shorter. (Neal's contract has more value)
Neal is making 250K less per season. (It's too little of a difference to care about.
Turris is 2 years younger. (That matters. He should be in his prime. Easily trump's 1 more year if it's only costing Edmonton 3M on the last year when Neal's contract has expired.)
Neither player's contract has signing bonuses, so they aren't buy-out proof... but I feel like both teams are trying to compete now so buyouts are just going to handicap them.
Nobody is going to argue that Turris provides more value to his team. He isn't going to score 30 goals, but when Neal isn't scoring he doesn't provide as much value to his team as Turris does and we all know how streaky Neal is.

I've got a better idea.

When the expansion draft comes around Edmonton can offer Caleb Jones + 2022 1st rounder for Seattle to take Neal.
I don't know who Nashville has in terms of young up and comers who look like they're going to stick in the NHL and actually have some value, but they can do the same thing.

I really like that Vegas is a competitive team and that they got a bunch of picks coming out of the gate and I hope the same thing happens to Seattle.

Oil fans might not like the idea of paying a premium to get rid of Neal's contract, but we're in the cap era and I'd rather just get rid of a contract if it's possible instead of taking on another contract... especially a longer one.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Neal is making 250K less per season. (It's too little of a difference to care about.
Turris is 2 years younger. (That matters. He should be in his prime. Easily trump's 1 more year if it's only costing Edmonton 3M on the last year when Neal's contract has expired.)
Neither player's contract has signing bonuses, so they aren't buy-out proof... but I feel like both teams are trying to compete now so buyouts are just going to handicap them.
Nobody is going to argue that Turris provides more value to his team. He isn't going to score 30 goals, but when Neal isn't scoring he doesn't provide as much value to his team as Turris does and we all know how streaky Neal is.

I've got a better idea.

When the expansion draft comes around Edmonton can offer Caleb Jones + 2022 1st rounder for Seattle to take Neal.
I don't know who Nashville has in terms of young up and comers who look like they're going to stick in the NHL and actually have some value, but they can do the same thing.

I really like that Vegas is a competitive team and that they got a bunch of picks coming out of the gate and I hope the same thing happens to Seattle.

Oil fans might not like the idea of paying a premium to get rid of Neal's contract, but we're in the cap era and I'd rather just get rid of a contract if it's possible instead of taking on another contract... especially a longer one.

NYR will do Buch + for Neal + --- but you know my price, core piece of which is non negotiable.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
NYR will do Buch + for Neal + --- but you know my price, core piece of which is non negotiable.
Oilers would rather keep Neal and his grit than Buch with his baggage.
3.25M for next year and then probably will be looking for Neal money afterwards.
No way you get that specific _____ added which we know about.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Turris >>> Neal.
I don't know how to quantify the ">"'s here, but I do think in isolation, Turris is still the same player he ever was, and probably better than Neal.

However, for Nashville's needs, given we have 5 centers and no place for Turris to play in his preferred role, and given we may lose Granlund and Smith from our winger depth due to free agency...

I'd cheerfully swap Turris for Neal at this point.

We don't need Neal to be anything much more than a unidimensional sometimes-finisher, really. If he got 20 goals with very weak supporting numbers, that's still a reasonable tradeoff for us, given we have no place at all to play Turris. I don't honestly know why Turris can't seem to play wing. He's faster and more rounded than Neal, and in an ideal world you instead just slide him over and don't need to take on Neal's warts. But that hasn't seemed to work for us thus far. And we have relatively fond memories of Neal. So I imagine most of us Nashville fans anyway would be willing to consider it. Management might not be, because I think they'd be a little more rational about evaluating the players head-to-head.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't know how to quantify the ">"'s here, but I do think in isolation, Turris is still the same player he ever was, and probably better than Neal.

However, for Nashville's needs, given we have 5 centers and no place for Turris to play in his preferred role, and given we may lose Granlund and Smith from our winger depth due to free agency...

We don't need Neal to be anything much more than a unidimensional sometimes-finisher, really. If he got 20 goals with very weak supporting numbers, that's still a reasonable tradeoff for us, given we have no place at all to play Turris. I don't honestly know why Turris can't seem to play wing. He's faster and more rounded than Neal, and in an ideal world you instead just slide him over and don't need to take on Neal's warts. But that hasn't seemed to work for us thus far. And we have relatively fond memories of Neal. So I imagine most of us Nashville fans anyway would be willing to consider it. Management might not be, because I think they'd be a little more rational about evaluating the players head-to-head.
Not sure how high NSH is still on Tolvanen. Assuming Puljujarvi > Tolvanen to NSH fans, the 2 can be added to balance the difference between Turris and Neal.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not sure how high NSH is still on Tolvanen. Assuming Puljujarvi > Tolvanen to NSH fans, the 2 can be added to balance the difference between Turris and Neal.
I would be leery of going down that path and overcomplicating things. I think we're still pretty high on Tolvanen and wouldn't sign up to that baseline assumption.

I doubt it's a case where tweaking the deal a little bit is really going to fix things. Those of us fans who would favor it now, well, we don't need a tweak. Whereas if management flat out believes in Turris, which I suspect they do, and they flat out don't have faith that Neal can keep up anymore, then they aren't going to make the deal, period, nevermind any little tweaks to try to level it out. :dunno:

Reactions: Draiskull

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

I've got a better idea.

Oilers might do that if Neal were signed for another 20 years. Under present circumstances no way would they give up Jones and a 1st to get rid of Neal. Not even just the first.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Oilers might do that if Neal were signed for another 20 years. Under present circumstances no way would they give up Jones and a 1st to get rid of Neal. Not even just the first.

Well Edmonton is reportedly interested in resigning Green to a 1 year contract. They've got Bear, Benning, Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson and Russel on the roster already. Plus Bouchard is going to be pushing his way into the roster. Broberg comes later after that.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
What is turris's contract?

If zuccarello is willing to wave, could there be a swap of the 2?

Not that Turris is great or anything, but the wild need a center, and maybe swapping bad contracts for positions of need would be beneficial for both teams?

Reactions: thrillhous

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Well Edmonton is reportedly interested in resigning Green to a 1 year contract. They've got Bear, Benning, Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson and Russel on the roster already. Plus Bouchard is going to be pushing his way into the roster. Broberg comes later after that.
He’s right that is to much to get rid of Neal. If it’s Seattle taking him then we already burned off one of the three years. At this point his buyout is 1.8 for 4 years and you keep the first. You still lose either Bear Bouchard or Jones to Seattle but if you go 8-1 you can choose which one.

Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Yamamoto, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom, Bear. Bouchard. With the goalie up in the air yet.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
He’s right that is to much to get rid of Neal. If it’s Seattle taking him then we already burned off one of the three years. At this point his buyout is 1.8 for 4 years and you keep the first. You still lose either Bear Bouchard or Jones to Seattle but if you go 8-1 you can choose which one.

Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Yamamoto, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom, Bear. Bouchard. With the goalie up in the air yet.

Bouchard’s exempt from the expansion draft, don’t have to protect him.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
S
Bouchard’s exempt from the expansion draft, don’t have to protect him.

So we protect Jones. That leaves Benson, Kassian, Puljujarvi, Lagesson, AA, Khaira, Nygard, For Seattle.

If Puljujarvi is still Oiler property then he gets selected imo.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

This is a really well-rounded answer to the proposal and I believe many of us Preds fans echo this statement.

Also, I think if you give Turris a decent chance to produce (top-6 minutes + top PP unit) he would be able to hit 50-55 points. We're just too stacked down the middle and don't have the room for him upper in the lineup.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This is a really well-rounded answer to the proposal and I believe many of us Preds fans echo this statement.

Also, I think if you give Turris a decent chance to produce (top-6 minutes + top PP unit) he would be able to hit 50-55 points. We're just too stacked down the middle and don't have the room for him upper in the lineup.
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but Edmonton is really only able to look at Turris as a #3 center, of course. The rationale on the Edmonton side being that even as a #3 center with 30-40 points, say, Turris is at least filling a need for the team. So he's not going to be in his ideal role there either. He'll still be overpaid for that role based on their planned usage of him.

Which I guess brings me to the other point in this trade idea from the Nashville side. While I'd trade Turris for Neal right now from the Nashville perspective, it's contingent on there being nothing better out there for Turris in any other trades. I mean, if I could move Turris somewhere else without taking anything iffy back, I'd do that first. Neal is sort of a "last resort". Still doable. But not the preferred solution. It would be nice if there was some other team out there that could truly use Turris at his "full value" as a #2C. But that seems unlikely right now. Still, if that did materialize, Turris-Neal is definitely off the table.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What is turris's contract?

If zuccarello is willing to wave, could there be a swap of the 2?

Not that Turris is great or anything, but the wild need a center, and maybe swapping bad contracts for positions of need would be beneficial for both teams?
This was talked about in a different thread some weeks back. I think from the Nashville side, it'd be fine, but only if Zuccarello would permanently waive his NMC as part of it. I don't know any reason why he'd do that. But if he would only temporarily waive it for the trade, then keep it intact thereafter, it's a non-starter because we cannot use up an expansion draft protection on Zuccarello.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Our cap works better if we have that big chunk off the books just as Neal's deal ends. That's when we re sign Klefbom, among others. Turris' extra year isnt a small thing. I say wait that out with Neal. Neal can still be useful to us.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Our cap works better if we have that big chunk off the books just as Neal's deal ends. That's when we re sign Klefbom, among others. Turris' extra year isnt a small thing. I say wait that out with Neal. Neal can still be useful to us.
I feel the drop off from Neal to Chaison isn't big. They played the same role on the pp. At least with Turris he fills a bigger need on the team. Also, after the 3rd year is when the cap should go up again with a new US TV deal.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
S

So we protect Jones. That leaves Benson, Kassian, Puljujarvi, Lagesson, AA, Khaira, Nygard, For Seattle.

If Puljujarvi is still Oiler property then he gets selected imo.
Also, technically RNH (and Larsson) does not need to be protected either if there is a handshake deal made.
Oilers can leave the pending UFA unprotected and extend him after the expansion draft.
If Seattle somehow still selects him he can just go to free agency and sign back with Oilers.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I feel the drop off from Neal to Chaison isn't big. They played the same role on the pp. At least with Turris he fills a bigger need on the team. Also, after the 3rd year is when the cap should go up again with a new US TV deal.
Yup, for Oilers the dropoff from Neal to Chiasson isn't big and for NSH the dropoff between Turris and their other 3C options are not big.
This is swap made in heaven. Too bad Turris is signed for that additional year. The difference in contract length should offset the difference in talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad