Oilers mathematically eliminated for a NHL-tying record 10th straight year

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Except every team has their top players injured throughout the season. So in your hypothetical scenario, we should add 10 points to other team's records, leaving the Oilers in their same spot - last place.
No team has close to the amount of man games lost to key players. Not even close.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
No team has close to the amount of man games lost to key players. Not even close.

Right, because cause RNH and Eberle are "key" players this team needs to win. If only they stayed healthy, Oilers would have finished higher in the standings. You may believe that, but I don't.

There are teams such as St. Louis, Florida, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, etc., who have lost alot of man games and still make the playoffs. They don't use injuries as an excuse for failing at hockey.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Right, because cause RNH and Eberle are "key" players this team needs to win. If only they stayed healthy, Oilers would have finished higher in the standings. You may believe that, but I don't.

There are teams such as St. Louis, Florida, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, etc., who have lost alot of man games and still make the playoffs. They don't use injuries as an excuse for failing at hockey.

At the start of the season, almost all Oiler fans said that the Oil would have a hard time making the playoffs. We don't have top end veterans. Our team had a lot of new faces, not one of which was a #1 D. We just aren't the right team to deal with a massive handicap like the man games we've lost. I figured we had a dark horse chance at making it if we could stay healthy, or at least average in that way, and if the Pacific could stay weak. None of those things happened.

And btw, it's a lot more than Ebs and RNH. McDavid and Klefbom were huge losses, Klefbom in particular. He's the linchpin of our D. We had Davidson rise up and then he got injured. Both our waiver pickups on D, meant to cover these losses, both got season ending injuries. No one has had close to the challenge on injuries as we have.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Except every team has their top players injured throughout the season. So in your hypothetical scenario, we should add 10 points to other team's records, leaving the Oilers in their same spot - last place.

No. The Oilers are at the top of the league for man games lost and clearly alone in first once you adjust for quality of those players.

It's not close.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
we are healthy and losing now explain that?

are D is just that bad.

and actually I believe the oilers are 3rd or 4th in man game lost this year

sorry tied for 2nd

https://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-march-19-2016/

I think regardless changes were going to be made. Regardless the team needs to get stronger and better defensively.

That said, I think this is a team that if it had one of those years that teams have where things are just going right....then we'd have some players that can build of the season. Instead we're talking about dumping some major players because we're not sure if they want to stay or if they're damaged goods from year after year of losing.

That's why blaming refs and injuries is somewhat valid, for me. 10 points in the standings makes a big difference in how the players perceive themselves and their teammates, IMO.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Connor McDavid
Oscar Klefbom

None of those teams come close to total impact off their players lost. Only Montreal has an argument for worse luck and that's because Price is their team.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we are healthy and losing now explain that?

are D is just that bad.

and actually I believe the oilers are 3rd or 4th in man game lost this year

sorry tied for 2nd

https://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-march-19-2016/

total man-games lost doesn't paint the full picture. We lost the exact wrong players we could have lost, with the big exception being Talbot. Just on that same link you give, it says that the Oilers have the #1 impact due to injuries. The Leafs are #1 total but the number is severely inflated. The NJ number is inflated as well.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think regardless changes were going to be made. Regardless the team needs to get stronger and better defensively.

That said, I think this is a team that if it had one of those years that teams have where things are just going right....then we'd have some players that can build of the season. Instead we're talking about dumping some major players because we're not sure if they want to stay or if they're damaged goods from year after year of losing.

That's why blaming refs and injuries is somewhat valid, for me. 10 points in the standings makes a big difference in how the players perceive themselves and their teammates, IMO.

every fan base has a beef with the ref--we have convinced ourselves we are the only ones that can use it as an excuse--I believe on the main board it is almost a banned subject

we have a badly built team

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Connor McDavid
Oscar Klefbom

None of those teams come close to total impact off their players lost. Only Montreal has an argument for worse luck and that's because Price is their team.

Everyone suddenly acts like Klefbom is a number #1D after he gets injured. Let me remind you, when Klefbom was playing, Oilers defense was putrid and they lost more games than they won.

McDavid is a 19 year old rookie. If he remained healthy, this team would still lose. It's a horrible team with or without injuries.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I'm not saying we're a good team healthy but you add in injuries and we're once again a bottom 3 team. Yes I think we finish closer 9th or 10th last with even an average level of injuries.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Everyone suddenly acts like Klefbom is a number #1D after he gets injured. Let me remind you, when Klefbom was playing, Oilers defense was putrid and they lost more games than they won.

McDavid is a 19 year old rookie. If he remained healthy, this team would still lose. It's a horrible team with or without injuries.

The team was almost destined to start slow considering all the new faces and so a lack of chemistry. It was a mess all around and we had inconsistent play from guys like Fayne, Talbot, and Sekera which was more a symptom than a cause of woes. The team did settle down and started actually winning games, and about this time Davidson started stepping up. We were something like 3 points out of a playoff spot at that time. The Klefbom injury was a dividing line in our season where there was no hope afterwards.

So no, Klefbom is not a #1D compared to someone like Doughty, but he was a critical piece in our team doing well.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Fair enough, but why do you spend the effort anymore? I mean, why not move on.

Seriously Jimmi? Why doesn't KLowe move on, that should be your question.

Until he does, this team will continue to fail. If you haven't figured it out yet, he is the cancer.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Connor McDavid
Oscar Klefbom

Didn't we just lose to a team that was missing Duchene and MacKinnon? Don't we have McDavid back?

The team makeup is still a nightmare. In the last 12 to 14 months we traded away on the backend Petry, Maracin, Schultz. How are those players doing today and how do you think they are going to look next year?

Our D next year is going to look like

Klefbom - Davidson
Nurse - Gryba
Sekera - Fayne

Not sure about you, but my guess is that D is nowhere near to making the playoffs. We still need drastic change, and #1 D don't fix everything.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Could be a job requirement. Everyone has bills to pay.

Thanks for the vote of support. I use welfare to pay my bills and sometimes I sell pencils from a cup.

Hey Liquor, remember this one: Hall + RNH or Sequin + Landeskog.

Not sure the jury is still out on that one.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Connor McDavid
Oscar Klefbom

Yup. Blaming injuries is silly but ignoring the impact that injuries have on a team is even worse. The Oilers may not be that great of a team, but the injuries sure hurt any chance of building some momentum.

Seriously Jimmi? Why doesn't KLowe move on, that should be your question.

Until he does, this team will continue to fail. If you haven't figured it out yet, he is the cancer.
What does he tangibly do for the team that causes him to have any impact? Honest question.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Didn't we just lose to a team that was missing Duchene and MacKinnon? Don't we have McDavid back?

The team makeup is still a nightmare. In the last 12 to 14 months we traded away on the backend Petry, Maracin, Schultz. How are those players doing today and how do you think they are going to look next year?

Klefbom - Davidson
Nurse - Gryba
Sekera - Fayne

Not sure about you, but my guess is that D is nowhere near to making the playoffs. We still need drastic change, and #1 D don't fix everything.

A 1 game sample size means nothing. We also just beat a relatively healthy Blues team.

Agreed on the trades/defense.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I miss those old dark-blue/copper jerseys too. All I will ever see when I see Oilers players wearing those lighter blue/orange numbers is complete and utter FAILURE. As far as I'm concerned they can take those ****ing jerseys and shoot them into the sun. The only Oilers jersey I own is that black one with the gear on it. Now that was sharp.

Might be time to put that thing in the washer. Jersey was blue. :shakehead

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
but we AREN'T healthy, not by a mile... 2 of our 3 best dmen are injured (klefbom and davidson)...a 2nd line winger (pouliot) and 2 bottom pairing dman (gryba and pardy)... we're missing 2/3rds of our defence, lol

davidson got called up due to injuries and he is just a bonus baby

Klefbom yes

Hall-Mcdavid-Nuge-Eberle-Nurse-Sekera-Leon D

if you go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the start of the season--MANY of us knew our D sucked then--so sorry--our D sucked then and still sucks now--Pouliot is the only top 6 guy injured--

who were our top 4 to start the year?
Sekera-Kefbom-Schultz and Nurce

Schultz finally got run out of town and Klef is injured

out D sucked in September and it still sucks in March

you can not blame injuries to a position that sucked to begin with as an excuse now--sorry that is being lazy and looking for a cop out

Mcdavid-Nuge-Leon D-Hall-Eberle-Yak-Letestu-kassian-

with the exception of Pouliot ALL OUR FWDS are healthy

bringing up Davidson is one of the stupidest reason in recent time on this board-why is Davidson here?

Ference, Gryba, klefbom and others got injured and then he got the call up

use them as the example and I and many others would still point out

our D sucked in September and it still sucks in March--just looks different

up front we are good to go and the fact we are still bumbling, stumbling and mumbling to the finish says a lot about our healthy forwards and that is an issue

all teams get injured

but yeah--if it makes you sleep better to blame the refs and the injuries as to why we are really not that much better then last year good on yeah

here is a question for ya

A healthy hall should score 30 goals a year--will he get 30 this year? will he get anywhere near 80pts? he is healthy this year and if he is either an elite player or a super star--he should be able to get that regardless of who he play with--comes with the title of elite player or superstar

sorry--but blaming the refs and injuries has gotten old, it got old three seasons ago and I think we need to get more creative with excuses then the same old excuses we have been using

I hate sunburns!!!!

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Klefbom - Davidson
Nurse - Gryba
Sekera - Fayne

Petry is a decent 3-4 Dman.
Marincin is having an upswing right now but he's nothing special and never was.
Schultz? Seriously?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
but we AREN'T healthy, not by a mile... 2 of our 3 best dmen are injured (klefbom and davidson)...a 2nd line winger (pouliot) and 2 bottom pairing dman (gryba and pardy)... we're missing 2/3rds of our defence, lol

Not to mention before the Avs game we were 5th in the league for the most points in the last 10 games, so we were "winning" too (ish)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
davidson got called up due to injuries and he is just a bonus baby

Klefbom yes

Hall-Mcdavid-Nuge-Eberle-Nurse-Sekera-Leon D

if you go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the start of the season--MANY of us knew our D sucked then--so sorry--our D sucked then and still sucks now--Pouliot is the only top 6 guy injured--

who were our top 4 to start the year?
Sekera-Kefbom-Schultz and Nurce

Schultz finally got run out of town and Klef is injured

out D sucked in September and it still sucks in March

you can not blame injuries to a position that sucked to begin with as an excuse now--sorry that is being lazy and looking for a cop out

Mcdavid-Nuge-Leon D-Hall-Eberle-Yak-Letestu-kassian-

with the exception of Pouliot ALL OUR FWDS are healthy

bringing up Davidson is one of the stupidest reason in recent time on this board-why is Davidson here?

Ference, Gryba, klefbom and others got injured and then he got the call up

use them as the example and I and many others would still point out

our D sucked in September and it still sucks in March--just looks different

up front we are good to go and the fact we are still bumbling, stumbling and mumbling to the finish says a lot about our healthy forwards and that is an issue

all teams get injured

but yeah--if it makes you sleep better to blame the refs and the injuries as to why we are really not that much better then last year good on yeah

here is a question for ya

A healthy hall should score 30 goals a year--will he get 30 this year? will he get anywhere near 80pts? he is healthy this year and if he is either an elite player or a super star--he should be able to get that regardless of who he play with--comes with the title of elite player or superstar

sorry--but blaming the refs and injuries has gotten old, it got old three seasons ago and I think we need to get more creative with excuses then the same old excuses we have been using

I hate sunburns!!!!

Davidson didn't get called up, he made the team out of camp.

Nurse started in the minors, not in our top 4

I stopped reading after that...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Thats why I think it's good that things unfolded as such. Chia will not b fooled; this roster is not right and major changes are a comin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad